ohhh duck off PC

What's Hot
joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
edited November 2014 in Off Topic
We are going to be such a vague generation... I know these things make the news because they are stupid

But can this all please stop.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-30191100

Tesco 'gifts for boys' sign removed after girl's complaint

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    not sure why there is a giant gap... probably so it doesn't offend anyone with claustrophobia
    Although whilst we are going mad... Lego... please stop showing a maximum age on your kits, I want to buy them regardless of being outside the 8-14 range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    edited November 2014
    "now now dear... we're going to take a photo... look as angry as you can... like daddy just stole your sweets... because he's a patriarchal cisscum shitlord fuckface.... there we go.... we got it! have a lollypop"

I actually think using children to score points in the media like this is beneath contempt.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Why does this upset you?
    hugbot said:
    Why does this upset you?
    I'm an angry young man of course.  I'm not upset by it, I just can't believe how stupid some things are
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2449
    It is stupid.  What is also stupid is that although she (most likely her mum) has complained to Tesco about gender stereotyping, it wouldn't be surprising if her bedroom is pink and she wants to marry a prince.  In fact, why have her parents allowed her to have long hair?  If gender stereotyping is an issue here, surely she needs an appointment at the local barbers for a military hair cut.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • She'll probably grow up to be a man-hating dungarees-wearing lesbo-feminist
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    She'll probably grow up to be a man-hating dungarees-wearing lesbo-feminist
    That hates scientist's shirts
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2014
    I'm really baffled as to why a bunch of presumably grown men are so upset by a 7 year olds childs opinion?

I mean, yeah shave that fucking lesbians hair I guess.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16959
    I actually agree with it.   They are just toys, not "toys for girls" or "toys for boys".

I also have an issue with Lego for girls (lego friends) - because Lego was always pretty free from any gender stereotypes until they introduced that range 

I have a daughter who is fast approaching 3.   She has a dolls house and a few other "girls" toys.   She also has a few batman and superhero things too.  but most of her toys are pretty gender neutral, and I try and make sure she doesn't see certain things as being for girls and certain things as being for boys

through all that, She likes dressing up in princess dresses and pink is her favourite colour - but at least I can be sure I have given her options. 

My grandma got mine and my cousins presents mixed up when i was very young.   It meant I had a Sindy Doll and she had a monster truck.  Apparently I wouldn't give it up and my dad was mortified.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    hugbot said:
    I'm really baffled as to why a bunch of presumably grown men are so upset by a 7 year olds childs opinion?

Well IIII'm baffled as to why another presumably grown man is so baffled at presumably other grown men regarding their views regarding political correctness as outlined by presumably a seven year old lesbian with a shaved head.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    I actually agree with it.   They are just toys, not "toys for girls" or "toys for boys".

I actually don't care what kids want to play with, or adults... whatever makes you happy is totally cool with me for sure

I just don't get why it's news worthy that a parent was offended by a sign in a shop.
    Surely they have more important things to deal with?
    Because I can understand the thought process of a child, who get easily upset about things like about toys, but not of an adult who reacts by calling that kid a lesbian.

hugbot said:
    Because I can understand the thought process of a child, who get easily upset about things like about toys, but not of an adult who reacts by calling that kid a lesbian.

heh, that's just the internet ;)

Honestly though, surely making a big deal for the kid isn't the right thing to do.  Tell them it doesn't matter etc etc... don't photograph them and sell it to news agencies. It's just so stupid.  

Sit the kid down, tell them Santa will get them their gifts based on if they are naughty or nice, not gender stereotyping.  The parents making a big deal of it just fuels the problem surely?  Or have the countless million parents who ever walked past boys/girls aisles missed a trick?

Next thing you want be able to sort clothes shops depending on boys and girls if these people had the world their way

Molehills > Mountains
  • To balance it the whole 'Toys for Girls' sectioning pisses my boys off as my oldest favourite colour is pink.  This has given me all the motivation I need to allow him to to trash Tesco's toy aisle whilst I film it and send it off to the Daily Mail.

When our eldest was first tottering around and his little brother newborn we wanted to encourage him to walk more outside.  A friend told us that her son had a toy buggy he loved so she searched high and low for one and only found ones in pink (actually one from Tesco).  He loved it, but some adults would still make stupid remarks.  He was too young to notice and is now too balanced to care.  

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17888
    tFB Trader
    I do think the whole "Toys for boys and toys for girls" thing is really shit. 

It's especially crap that toys with any kind of play value like anything construction, or science related is a "boys toy."

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    hugbot said:

Guessing you haven't been round here long then...

Anyway, at that age I was sticking no smoking signs up round our house, so I'm not particularly surprised a kid who's been told there are no boys and girls toys, just toys, kicked off about it. Children don't like injustice (at least when it's against them).
  • joeyowen said:
    Well IIII'm baffled as to why another presumably grown man is so baffled at presumably other grown men regarding their views regarding political correctness as outlined by presumably a seven year old lesbian with a shaved head.
    What a fucking stupid thing to say;  The picture clearly shows that she has long hair.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    joeyowen said:
    What a fucking stupid thing to say;  The picture clearly shows that she has long hair.
    bloody hell calm down, I was joking mate!