Lee Rigby and Facebook

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31148
Been catching up with the news on this and the condemnation of Facebook re Lee Rigby's killing.

Now, I have every sympathy for the Rigby family and all those surrounding the issue, but the whole 'Facebook could've acted etc' is, IMHO, wide of the mark. Whilst I agree that there is sharing of info etc surely this is like blaming the post office for sending a death threat? Or blaming Vodafone for a death hatched between two people on a mobile phone?

I know they want to lash out and also vent, but IS this fair?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    No it isn't but we live in an age where people have to find someone responsible for the nasty things that happen in life. There are no longer such things as bad luck, acts of God, random events, accidents etc. Even the families of dead soldiers have won the right to sue the MoD ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2014
    MPs make a report where the British secret services that they control could not have stopped the attack, despite having personal interaction with the offenders, including offering one of them a job (which they'd previously denied), but find fault with American based social network which it does not control.  All here seems perfectly well to me.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31148
    MPs make a report where the British secret services that they control could not have stopped the attack, despite having personal interaction with the offenders, including offering one of them a job (which they'd previously denied), but find fault with American based social network which it does not control.  All here seems perfectly well to me.
    Good exec summary. I simply don't get the need to lash out wildly- MI5/6 will be gleeful that Facebook taking blame.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There was a guy talking about this on the R4 news this morning talking about how impossible it'd be to police.

He quoted figures for the number of people in the UK on facebook and the number of posts each day....then "even taking away all the photos of kittens that's still XXXXXXX posts a day"

Made me chuckle.
  • that's still XXXXXXX posts a day"

Was a bit pompous of him to give his estimates in Roman numerals though.
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • that's still XXXXXXX posts a day"

Was a bit pompous of him to give his estimates in Roman numerals though.
    As I was typing that I knew someone would head down that route ;-) you now owe me £X  :P
  • I can't pay you until IX.V.MMXVIII, you OK with that?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Being fluent in binary I'd say 1

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

Facebook are no more at fault than whoever built the car they used to run poor Lee Rigby down. It's a pathetic argument, and betrays a real fear of the security services that they can't eavesdrop on anybody's communications with the ease they used to be able to when we all used the plain old telephone system.

Paranoid nosy wankers, more interested in protecting their own positions of power than protecting any of us. I'm more concerned about the threat to my liberty from my own government than I am from terrorists - how fucked up a situation is that?

All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2014
    It's a blame culture. And yet the richest are the least blamed.

What right to HMRC have to ask for Tax money after they've let Vodafone off £6m?

What right to SERCO's directors have to remain in circulation when their company are guilty of fraud?

What right to my bank have to ask me to repay stuff after they've fraudulantly sold PPI and operated a bankrupt bank?

I may sound old, but I am really beginning to wonder about some of all this.

(NB: this thread is a direct result of my laywer buying me lunch at Gaucho's this afternoon. I was quite excited until he uttered those immortal words "the lunchtime specials menu is quite good.... which took the edge off the meal)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Gassage said:

What right to HMRC have to ask for Tax money after they've let Vodafone off £6m?

What right to SERCO's directors have to remain in circulation when their company are guilty of fraud?

What right to my bank have to ask me to repay stuff after they've fraudulantly sold PPI and operated a bankrupt bank?

(NB: this thread is a direct result of my laywer buying me lunch at Gaucho's this afternoon. I was quite excited until he uttered those immortal words "the lunchtime specials menu is quite good.... which took the edge off the meal)
    One word. Lawyers. They have them you don't.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Fretwired said:
    Gassage said:

No but laywers are almost as good
    All practice and no theory
    edited November 2014
    Fretwired said:
    Gassage said:

I hate to be pedantic but that's 6 words. Or VI words if you're @randomhandclaps .

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2014
    It wasn't a dream...

Richard Barrett, ex-MI6

“And even in the United Kingdom there are about 25 million users of Facebook and so let’s say possibly about 125 million posts a day. And even if you take out all the pictures of kittens which were put up you’d still be left with an awful lot to go through”

Personally I still think it's worth banning kitten photos from social media just to make the impossible task slightly less impossible.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    edited November 2014
    Still unclear what Facebook are supposed to do .... scan every email FB post & private message for certain words, manually exclude the many millions of false positives per day, then inform who exactly ?  Completely bonkers.

If they want legal intercept power like email/telephones - targeting specific individual's Posts/Messages and  legally managed - that's a different issue, and  ought to be eminently doable.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • You can't ban kitten photos;  That's what the extremists want.   I say flood it with kitten photos.  Imagine a suicide bomb awaiting detonation instructions but has to trawl through two hundred kitten photos first.  It'll sooth him.  It'll make him realise there is more to this world that hatred of the infidels.....there is the love of a kitten.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Kitten photos are for pussies.

• I think it's the Government trying to put fear into the public in the hopes that some sort of a surveillance law will be accepted.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I think it's the Government trying to put fear into the public in the hopes that some sort of a surveillance law will be accepted.  
    +1   Seems everytime I hear of case like this, some aspect that pushes fear and the need to increase police/government powers is the lead part of the story.   
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15859
    John_P said:
    I think it's the Government trying to put fear into the public in the hopes that some sort of a surveillance law will be accepted.  
    +1   Seems everytime I hear of case like this, some aspect that pushes fear and the need to increase police/government powers is the lead part of the story.   
    +2, the timing of this and the imminent threat stories we seem to be getting are quite concerning.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.