Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Which Smart Phone? From a rather confused noob

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    close2u said:

you have a couple of Microsoft phones in the running, ...

so your first job really is to work out which OS you might prefer.

I hadn't really taken note of that ... I have no idea about the different OS and therefore no preference.

Might a Windows phone be a little more 'user-friendly' and intuitive for a PC user?

Do they differ greatly for general use?

If so, how?

I actually really like the windows phones and am just about to get my second one.   The only thing they lack is the variety of aps apple and android have.  At first I was dissapointed by this, but in reality I don't use many apps.  I need somethng with internet, a good camera, a few basic apps including a basic guitar tuner.  They are the only things I use consistently past the first month of phone usage, even when I was on android before (and still am with a samsung tablet - where a good e-reader is also important)

My HTC 8X has never let me down in the past 2 years.  its not available any more though.  I am moving to a nokia Lumia 930 with a good data package

I wouldn't compare it to PC use though, unless you are used to Windows 8 and use the tiles on that.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moto G is the best budget smartphone by a considerable distance.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Lots of love for Moto G.
    It is the most expensive of those listed.
    But equally love for the others.
    I guess it will come down to simply making a decision and going with it.

I've looked around for used / refurb iphone too.
    There are some locally.

Are there any Black Friday deals on SIM free that anyone has seen?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    Got to be the Moto G.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    If this is your/her smartphone are you aware that the battery life is normally considerably worse than non-smartphones, it's not uncommon to need to charge it every night rather than once a week or so (depending on usage of course).
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.

@BigMonka

our current phones are so lold, even with new batteries, we have to do that anyway.

Are you suggesting that there are modern, current, contemporary phones that are great ... but are not Smartphones?

I guess there must be ...

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11532

BigMonka said:
    If this is your/her smartphone are you aware that the battery life is normally considerably worse than non-smartphones, it's not uncommon to need to charge it every night rather than once a week or so (depending on usage of course).
    Some smartphones are better than others on battery life.  In fact that's one of the first things I check when I am looking at phones.  All the manufacturers exaggerate the battery life but some are definitely better than others.  I'm not a heavy user but I could often get 3 days out of my mine when it was new, but then one of the main reasons I bought that model was that the quoted battery life was in the top 2 or 3 I could find for any smartphone.

Ideally you want one where you can take the battery out as well.  We had a guy at work whose phone totally froze, and he had to wait 2 days for the battery to discharge to be able to reboot it.  AKAIK, one of the few drawbacks of the Moto G is that the battery cannot be taken out.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    close2u said:

@BigMonka

our current phones are so lold, even with new batteries, we have to do that anyway.

Are you suggesting that there are modern, current, contemporary phones that are great ... but are not Smartphones?

I guess there must be ...

If you just want a phone for phoning and texting then there are many cheap and decent phones, but as soon as you want to do something like connect to the internet then you need to jump up in price/quality as the really cheap smartphones are so slow and frustrating to use that it's not worth it. That's why the moto g gets such good reviews as it seems that its about as low a price as you can pay whilst still getting a fully (and nicely) functioning phone.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    There's a new model Moto G coming out so there should be some good deals on the previous one.
    My V key is broken
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7507
    edited November 2014
    close2u said:

Just to add / detail some of the criterion:

My wife has an ipad air - so is well served in terms of 'computing power' in a portable form.

The mobile phone would be for (a small amount of) texting (from home & out) and phoning whilst out.

She does read and send emails and does access Facebook. She may do this - again when she hasn't got the ipad with her - but not much.

Plus she may take some photos where having her digital camera / ipad is not convenient or they are not at hand.

She is unlikely to listen to music on it - we have a small ipod that she seldom uses.

She doesn't drive so satnav / maps etc are not important.

We have never used apps so don't know whether or not they will become things we will ever want / need / use.

Honestly, if you've got your high powered requirements covered, the lumia 630 or 635. 

It's basically just very practical.  Offline european free maps is reason enough for me to want one - I'm getting one when my contract is out and going giff gaff.  The web browser is pretty good and smooth. However, given you're not bothered, it's also got a nice camera.  Not sure how it compares spec wise, but it took much nicer pictures in better and worse light than my Nexus 4 - which cost considerably more. 

The camera on my phone is a bit arse, though. 
    There's a locked iphone 4s for £100 which would cost £20 to unlock near to me.
    Or some iphone 4 models unlocked.
    Does that sound reasonable?

I'm thinking they'd allow my wife to continue to learn and use just one new OS rather than yet another one (in the form of android).

That said, she finds the typing of text on the iphone 5c a little small so would the even smaller iphone 4s be more difficult?
    And would this suggest she revise her thoughts about a 'small' handset?

The Moto G (again) has a 5" screen.
    Another reason to consider it (or something of similar size) perhaps?

Oh ... damn these difficult decisions!
  • LooseMooseLooseMoose Frets: 940
    edited November 2014
    4S would be good but don't touch a 4, recent iOS updates have crippled them.

That said, typing isn't that cramped because the keyboard is VERY good.

If I wasn't so hooked on the Apple ecosystem, I think Moto G would be my choice for that money.
    ... typing isn't that cramped because the keyboard is VERY good.

On the 4s?
    As good as or better than the 5c?
    In terms of finger room.

The other thing my wife said, having described the keyboard as a bit cramped on the 5c, is that this is offset somewhat by the excellent predictive text.
    Is it the same / as good on the 4s?
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    TBH she should stick with the 5C
    My V key is broken
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    edited November 2014
    holnrew said:
    +1

It's only as complicated as you make it.

I hardly use mine for anything other than calls, texts, internet, camera and a couple of games. Garageband and a guitar tuner occasionally but if she's not a musician that won't be necessary.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

holnrew said:
    I know it's great - but it's the 2 year cost
    £149 + 24x £15 month = £519

Buying a SIM free and using PAYG at approx £5 / month will be about £200-250
    I found a deal for a new iphone 4s on contract.
    No upfront cost.
    £8.99 / month over 24 months = £215.76 total cost.
    Looks like that's the one.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 2nd gen moto G ordered for MrsTheWeary who has a sim only deal already. Currently double up points available from Tesco on phones so almost entirely paid for with vouchers.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Cheers for all the info. chaps. My 5 year old LG phone has finally given up the ghost, I will have a look at what PAYG deals there are on the Moto G. Although if the Nokia Lumias had a flash on the camera I may well have gone for one of them.