Using a RAT - help me!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    edited November 2014
    How about buy a Jetenuator for £100 and then you can play your Peavey all the time?
    Not that easy to connect to a Classic 30, although it can be done if you really want to. The speaker is not on a jack/plug connection so you need a spade terminal hook-up loom.

A volume box in the FX loop would probably work well though, and is much cheaper. But still doesn't provide a line in and headphone out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    Headphones and line in are key to me really.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    In theory you could accomplish both with a small mixing desk in the FX loop to blend in the line input and feed headphones, but you'd also need a speaker emulator of some sort or the headphone guitar sound will be dreadful, and it's really getting quite complicated at that point! And most likely more expensive than a small amp with both features...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Nomad.  You'll pick one up for £400 or so and it's got a built in silent out.

Otherwise perhaps a H&K with the built in red-box, though I've never actually heard one live.
  • If headphones are a must, you're possibly looking at a dedicated practice amp - like a yamaha or blackstar ID core.

They're probably (though I'm assuming, no evidence!) not that great with pedals, being digital, but being a modeller you could get headphone tones for silent practice. Then you save your pedalboard and peavey for when the neighbours are out (they sound great at low volume though).
    edited December 2014
    Good advice all,  but I think I'm going to try out the Blackstar HT-5C and see how it works for me. I'll probably have to wait until after Christmas now, although it'd come in handy for a run of gigs I have in January (my first ever gigs, and it's a 2 week run in a panto band) cos I can send a speaker emulated feed to front of house and still use the internal speaker as my monitor in the band loft.

Anybody want to buy a Marshall MG30? It's an awesome amp, but it's not getting used so it's time to move it on etc. etc. :D

• hobbio;431027" said:
    Good advice all,  but I think I'm going to try out the Blackstar HT-5C and see how it works for me. I'll probably have to wait until after Christmas now, although it'd come in handy for a run of gigs I have in January (my first ever gigs, and it's a 2 week run in a panto band) cos I can send a speaker emulated feed to front of house and still use the internal speaker as my monitor in the band loft.

Anybody want to but a Marshall MG30? It's an awesome amp, but it's not getting used so it's time to move it on etc. etc. :D
    Be wary, @bucket has a ht40 combo iirc and it doesn't like some pedals, particularly certain fuzz ones. It's an input level issue iirc, so I'd definitely try before you buy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh absolutely mate, I'll try it out first with my Rat for sure.

Just to revisit the Rat thing, I've put the compressor before it now and I can get a decent sound out of the Marshall that way. Without compression it sounds as flabby as ever but kick it in and it smooths out lovely. 

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

My default setting for trying a new dirt pedal is to put everything to half-way and make adjustmemts to suit playing needs.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)