What's the forum record for the most amount spent on a pedal for the least amount of use?

What's Hot
DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
I appear to have just dropped 160 notes on an EHX Ravish Sitar in order to play the riff in Norwegian Wood once in a blue moon when it makes it into the set.

Are any other readers as stupid as me? Ever spent serious money on a pedal just to play 4 bars in one particular song?

What's the most you've spent for the briefest usage?
3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    edited December 2014
    ZVex Seek-Wah probably. Over £200 for one part in one song… although admittedly it was about 3/4 of the running time of the track. Only ever used in the studio when recording it, I could never get it to integrate quite right with the rest of my sound so I didn't use it live. I have thought about selling it but it's a beautiful thing and quite inspirational to mess about with sometimes.

Or the Roger Linn AdrenaLinn, which I also couldn't get to work well with my live rig and never used apart from one experimental film soundtrack project which never saw the light of day. Even worse, I later bought an AdrenaLinn III, imported direct from the US to take advantage of a special offer, then got stiffed by Customs and Parcel Farce so it worked out slightly more expensive than buying from a UK dealer, and then hated it even more than the first one. I did manage to sell it as new for only a moderate loss, at least.

But I think the biscuit-taker is the Roland GR-09 guitar synth with GK-2 controller and extra-cost expansion pack which I foolishly bought for the thick end of a grand… never used for anything of any practical value whatsoever, and buggered my favourite old Aria guitar by routing it for the GK-2. Then I kept it far too long to the point it was obsolete and worthless, and in the end did very well to swap it for a Danelectro guitar which in a final fit of wilful self-punishment I gave away to my singer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    I'd imagine a lot of Whammy users might chime in.

Also- the only thing I ever use a Vibe on is Breathe.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    Yeah, for Killing in the Name of!

Maybe a few talk boxes for Living on a Prayer.
  • Tuner. Just ask my audience. 

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DannyP said:
    Yeah, for Killing in the Name of!

Maybe a few talk boxes for Living on a Prayer.
    Thing is, that only gets you half way there.

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10458

I used to use a guitar synth for the trumpet solo on Kevin Carter, that was about £400 and involved a special pickup on the guitar
    I still only use an £80 Ebow for one song - with or without you

I had the talk box for Living on a Prayer but didn't like the sensation in my mouth :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:

I used to use a guitar synth for the trumpet solo on Kevin Carter, that was about £400 and involved a special pickup on the guitar
    I still only use an £80 Ebow for one song - with or without you

I had the talk box for Living on a Prayer but didn't like the sensation in my mouth :)
    I wondered why people always asked me to play that part.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10458

Lol :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4612
    +1 for tuner
  • I could probably make a strong showing here with the Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal which arrived, got used at one practice, then went in the corner for a couple of months until I sold it.

If, that is, I'd actually paid for it and not won it in a competition. In fact...if I'd stuck with it and got an appropriate amp to use it with, I may even not have bothered buying the Soldano amp.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    hmmmmm.. for me.... Eventide SPACE.... for my reverb needs, it was massive overkill. I soon realised that the vast majority of sounds in it were unusable in my music, and that all I needed with a single stomp pedal like a Boss RV5 or Hardwire RV7.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    £3000

My whole board!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    £650.

When I was 15 my mum took me to New York and I had that much saved up. I wanted a Les Paul and could afford it. 

However I'd just joined a band and we covered "Wide Open Space" by Mansun. A Digitech RP20 recreated that sound AND had a valve in it so as to never need to take my backline to a gig ever again! 

I got like 3 mins on this thing with the salesman and my mum stood over me so I bought it. This was the Manny's which had a huge rep but they actually gave me the totally wrong adaptor and I hadn't even considered the plug issue. 

Got the relevant adaptors etc... played a gig and it was shite. It sat in a box thereafter and I sold it for £80 a year or so later. 
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    @Deijavoo I hated that bloody Mansun song, & I'll be singing it in my sleep now - thanks a lot!  :-S

• SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    DannyP said:
    I appear to have just dropped 160 notes on an EHX Ravish Sitar in order to play the riff in Norwegian Wood once in a blue moon when it makes it into the set.

Are any other readers as stupid as me? Ever spent serious money on a pedal just to play 4 bars in one particular song?

Dont be too hard on yourself. I have seen that pedal on Youtube and it sounds and looks awesome. I cannot think of a single good reason to buy one but i desperately and badly want one. Much like the EHX B9 pedal. We needs it, precious. If you decide to sell it....:)

Im turning into something of an EHX FanBoy. They make quirky stuff like this that i cant get enough of. Ive got their no moving parts Wah Pedal that everyone hates and i think its fantastic. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    breadfan said:
    @Deijavoo I hated that bloody Mansun song, & I'll be singing it in my sleep now - thanks a lot!  :-S
    Yep, me too and now it's stuck in my head too.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I have never heard the Mansun song.

I'm not jealous either.

Although I have Maiden's Infinite Dreams in my head......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Samgb said:
    DannyP said:

Dont be too hard on yourself. I have seen that pedal on Youtube and it sounds and looks awesome. I cannot think of a single good reason to buy one but i desperately and badly want one. Much like the EHX B9 pedal. We needs it, precious. If you decide to sell it....:)

Im turning into something of an EHX FanBoy. They make quirky stuff like this that i cant get enough of. Ive got their no moving parts Wah Pedal that everyone hates and i think its fantastic. 

Oh yeah! I'm not saying I'm not going to have a lot of fun with it ;)
    edited December 2014
    Deijavoo said:
    £650.

When I was 15 my mum took me to New York and I had that much saved up. I wanted a Les Paul and could afford it. 

However I'd just joined a band and we covered "Wide Open Space" by Mansun. A Digitech RP20 recreated that sound AND had a valve in it so as to never need to take my backline to a gig ever again! 

I got like 3 mins on this thing with the salesman and my mum stood over me so I bought it. This was the Manny's which had a huge rep but they actually gave me the totally wrong adaptor and I hadn't even considered the plug issue. 

Got the relevant adaptors etc... played a gig and it was shite. It sat in a box thereafter and I sold it for £80 a year or so later. 
    Wow, that's a good one.

That story gave me a real twinge of empathy cos it's exactly the kind of crap that happens when you're 15!
  • I bought a Line 6 M5 just to play the solo to 'Throw Away Your Television' by RHCP. And also bought a Boss PS-5 just to harmonise 8 bars of music in one of my original tracks.

Line 6 didn't last long, but the PS-5 has had some cool uses. Whammy 5 might kick it off though.