Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD (and its a relic.....) I bet you can all guess who built this one.

What's Hot
stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
edited September 2013 in Guitar
I'm not a 'relic' fan.  

But I did get this today. 

So shoot me.

I haven't had a chance to even plug it in yet. Mr TNT has only just dropped it off at my house. Luckily for me I'm off work on holiday until next week.

Will report back later.

But figured you guys would like some photos.

Specs wise (I've updated this with my own thoughts on these)

Alder body ? (but looks like Ash to me)

All nitro - yup

Lollar pickups, CTS pots etc

Just over 7 lbs in weight (doesn't feel too heavy, but not that light either, so I'd say close to 8 lbs)

Medium C - yup

Modern radius and frets - yup

Aged hardware etc etc

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    Also not a relic fan, but that look fab, have a wow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Is that a Nash?  Looks pretty nice.
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 750
    I'm a relic fan and I very much approve of that. A mint guard perhaps?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Very nice indeed.
  • MJT? JXG?

Either way, have a "Wow" :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Adam_MD said:
    Is that a Nash?  Looks pretty nice.
    Bingo!

'07 Nash T-52

The 'guard is bakelite and suits it, so will leave it alone for now. I have to say in the flesh it looks a lot nicer than the photos I took on my phone.

Plays extremely well and has a low smooth action. Probably down to the fretwork and radius as its been well fettled. I'd prefer a chunkier neck, but took this in on a trade deal for some other gear and so it is what it is.

Still haven't gotten around to plugging it in yet. Just strumming acoustically and it rings out nicely.

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2028
    Sunburst with black guard. Battered to buggery and back. 

What's not to like? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    Chuffola said:

What's not to like? 
    The very obviously fake relic job?

I'm sure it's a nice guitar and that it plays and sounds great, but it looks totally unnatural.

Sorry...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    edited September 2013
    ICBM said:
    Chuffola said:

What's not to like? 
    The very obviously fake relic job?

I'm sure it's a nice guitar and that it plays and sounds great, but it looks totally unnatural.

Sorry...
    I'd agree fella.

I've played plenty of old '50s Teles and they don't look like this. Well none of the ones I played did.

Plays well though, still haven't plugged it in...
    Well, that'll teach me to express an opinion!

:P

Yes, it's a little - ahem - overdone, but I still think it looks good.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    Lovely guitar my friend.  Needs a refin and re-relic as no guitar, no real guitar, would be relicked like that.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    edited September 2013
    It's not actually being overdone that's the problem, it's the way they've done it - and I did guess who, before it was posted.

It's the uniform, "evenly random" distribution of very similar-looking scratches all over the body, all about the same size (probably made with the same tool) same depth, same "newness", the obviously sanded edge all round the back, but not the slightest hint of a belt-buckle mark, or checking, etc...

It absolutely amazes me that a company which does this professionally should get it so consistently wrong.

You could actually make it look a lot more convincing by overdoing it some more :). In fact, if I'd accidentally acquired it in the same way I'd probably be tempted to have a go... the worst that could happen is that you'd end up having to strip the sunburst entirely, which would be an improvement anyway, I think. (And I like sunburst Teles normally.)

I feel somewhat relieved that I haven't insulted @stonevibe's purchase decision now though! I was in two minds as to whether to post that in the first place.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    edited September 2013
    The whole 'relic' thing is always a fun argument. But I have to agree with ICBM looks fake.

Myself, I'm not a fan of the 'relic thing'. However I do like a nice Tele and if I can bash it about without worrying about dings, well that is a bonus.

Personally I don't think it would fool anyone that has seen any real '50s Telecasters. But the hardware spec and build quality is excellent and playability is top notch.

I would not have gone into a shop with the intention of buying this guitar. Just an offer came along for some of my gear and this was more in line with the type of spec I like in a guitar.

I got a pink Gibson Custom Shop 58 Junior in a similar type of deal earlier this year. Looks like a 'tart's handbag', but f*ck me it sounds amazing and plays like 'a more traditional margarine substitute of the bread lubricating variety'.

So "beggar's can't be choosers" or something like that.

Quality instrument, just not my 'cup of tea' aesthetically. 

Still haven't plugged it in though...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    edited September 2013

Most of my own accidental relicing accurs not from natural wear (I'd love to know how this occurs to such an extent, I would practically have to wear my guitar to work and sleep with it), but when I've been an absolute tool with a tool, i.e. when changing strings / adjusting intonation / swaping pick ups - whoops, slipped with a screw-driver, burnt with the soldering iron etc. This looks like a very bad case of this.

I like the look of it though, think it looks great.

stonevibe said:

So "beggar's can't be choosers" or something like that.

Quality instrument, just not my 'cup of tea' aesthetically. 

Same feeling I have about the recently acquired Fret King, so I know exactly what you mean.

And, for what it's worth, I'm not a fan of heavy relics either. But I don't think your Nash looks that bad and, on stage, would probably look quite cool. And if it plays like dairy produce in a spreadable format, so much the better.

Most importantly, though, is that this is another NGD thread with pics! Can't have enough of those!
  • dindude said:

Most of my own accidental relicing accurs not from natural wear (I'd love to know how this occurs to such an extent, I would practically have to wear my guitar to work and sleep with it), but when I've been an absolute tool with a tool, i.e. when changing strings / adjusting intonation / swaping pick ups - whoops, slipped with a screw-driver, burnt with the soldering iron etc. This looks like a very bad case of this.

Yeah, that sounds like me.

Usually its my own hand that 'dinks' or 'burns' my guitars (and my fingers). Anything else is usually the guitar hitting an object (like a bar-stool, mic stand) rather than stuff landing on it.

Which is where I think the relics builders get it wrong every time.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    that looks great

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    There's nothing there that can't be fixed. Most important aspect is is it a good player and are you happy playing it. I've seen worse Bill Nash gits. Seen worse CS Fender finishes come to that!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • dindude said:

I'm the same. 

Love a good relic though. Even my oldest-serving guitars are still pretty ding-free, so it's nice to have one that looks a bit older, even if it's the youngest (ie my Cabronita)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31774
    I think your invitation to guess who relic'd it was an indication of what you thought of it, it screamed "Nash" to me too!

That said, I'm a firm believer that electric guitars are not made to be passed reverentially from hand to hand around a living room, and I reckon this one would like great on stage where it belongs.