Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD (and its a relic.....) I bet you can all guess who built this one.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90fool said:
    I think your invitation to guess who relic'd it was an indication of what you thought of it, it screamed "Nash" to me too!

That said, I'm a firm believer that electric guitars are not made to be passed reverentially from hand to hand around a living room, and I reckon this one would like great on stage where it belongs.
    Yeah I figured you lot would suss it straight away.

Its got Nash written all over it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    edited September 2013
    I'm no expert but I thought Nash as soon as I saw it. Its an absolute cracker and looks like it could strip paint off, bet it really rocks. Jealous! Congrats.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2385
    nice :D
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3340
    I like that and the spec too (light weight, Lollars and modern radius).

Nice one!
  • ICBM said:
    It's not actually being overdone that's the problem, it's the way they've done it - and I did guess who, before it was posted.

It's the uniform, "evenly random" distribution of very similar-looking scratches all over the body, all about the same size (probably made with the same tool) same depth, same "newness", the obviously sanded edge all round the back, but not the slightest hint of a belt-buckle mark, or checking, etc...

It absolutely amazes me that a company which does this professionally should get it so consistently wrong.

You could actually make it look a lot more convincing by overdoing it some more :). In fact, if I'd accidentally acquired it in the same way I'd probably be tempted to have a go... the worst that could happen is that you'd end up having to strip the sunburst entirely, which would be an improvement anyway, I think. (And I like sunburst Teles normally.)

I feel somewhat relieved that I haven't insulted @stonevibe's purchase decision now though! I was in two minds as to whether to post that in the first place.
    All of this. 

However, it's a tele, it's going to sound the nuts with Lollars, and it's light enough to be comfy.  That's a fab guitar, and frankly, I'm sure most people hate my taste in guitars, so don't be offended ;)
  • So I think its ash and not alder, plus I reckon its a little more than 'just over 7 lbs).

Sounds great when plugged in.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1470
    Aha that was my old one. Cracking guitar. Have a look at the cap in the control cavity when you get a second it is a monster :)
  • photek said:
    Aha that was my old one. Cracking guitar. Have a look at the cap in the control cavity when you get a second it is a monster :)
    Thought I'd seen it somewhere before.

Will check out the cap and confirm.
  • Its a nice guitar. I was offered it I think a few months ago. Cant remember who from though
  • The cap in the cavity is HUGE!

Needs to be 'Strummer'd' I reckon, that way it would look more in line with the wear patterns.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28348
    I'm a relic fan, but I'm afraid that Nash's don't do it for me. I agree with ICBM on this one, but if others like it all is well and good. I'm not dissing it as such, it's just not one I'd buy personally.
  • Well it is a pity they go a bit 'gung ho' with the 'beating up' of the guitars as it plays really well and sounds great.

Very touch sensitive and the thing sings through my amp with a touch of overdrive. I think it'll sound even nicer with some heavier strings as well.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72835
    Just to be clear, I'm not anti-relic - some of the very best (probably best, in fact) modern Fender-style guitars I've ever played have been relics of one sort or another - just that the relic jobs on the Nash guitars are only a step above the DIY screwdriver and fag lighter attempts we all like to laugh at on Ebay in terms of realism. It's a shame because with paying a little more attention to what a real worn guitar looks like, they could probably make one ten times as convincing for the same or less work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I've had this very debate on another site with a bloke who's a personal friend of Bill Nash. Agreed that although the finish detail tends to be below par, he does [generally] put together a very good playing piece. So can't take that away from him. His earlier 'cobbles' looked better tho IMO. Although his Les Paul massacres have yet to tickle me.

As I've previously said, nothing about that Tele that can't be fettled. Bonus of it plays great!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • I like. A LOT
    How very rock and roll
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    edited September 2013
    I'd agree with the Nash stuff being OTT, but then I think the same with Fender stuff too.

In the flesh it doesn't look as extreme as the 'chipped paint work' isn't quite as severe as the camera suggests, however it isn't anything like natural wear and tear. Plus you'd get dirt and stuff in some of those wounds and it doesn't have much of that going on either.

All this being said though, it sounds great and plays ridiculously well and I believe new in the States Nash guitars are a fair bit cheaper than CS Fender Relics. As they don't rely on having to do big trade ads and what have you, I'm sure this brings their overheads down a lot, plus its a small operation, so less units to shift to pay wages, rates and rents. Someone told me they make around 90-100 guitars a month.

I'm still not a relic fan and wouldn't buy a Nash guitar new. Like ICBM I'm not anti-relic (well okay a bit), just it isn't something that makes me desire a certain instrument.

Took a punt on this one as I heard that they play and sound great. Cannot say I'd ever choose a relic, because it looks real (because I think they all look a bit shit, however much you pay). I do like a good instrument though and that is exactly what I got with this guitar.

Might well 'mod' the hell out of this one though...