Superfuses from Russ Andrews.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Ah, the old "Peter Belt Treatment"… :D

I'd forgotten about that. I always wondered whether it was an extremely elaborate joke, but I have a feeling that it's just pure delusional fantasy.

Surely he's breaking the Trade Descriptions Act to call the company "PWB Electronics"? Since no electronics is used in the products whatever...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Rocker;440912" said:
    Come on guys, lighten up.  FFS nobody in their right mind would contemplate purchasing such stuff.  

@johnnyurg, you don't HAVE to buy one of these SuperFuses.  It is OK not to buy one so calm down.

Are we audio guys not allowed a bit of fun?
    @rocker

A wee bit defensive dude I was also being a bit tongue in cheek but your reaction tells me somehting.

The serious point is that naive people who don't know any better are hoodwinked not only by Mr Andrews and similar but the "audio guys" who shout folks down and bully people into believing their crock of shit and imlying that experience and their superior hi fi systems prove it is worthy of ponying up.

You can say it isn't so but I see it all the time online and in the real world and as I say to younger less knowledgable people they may very well inadvisedly buy against their better judgement faced with the "audio guys" onslaught of spurious and factually incorrect knowledge.

No one has to buy anything but I would like to think most folks would look out for those less able to discern a scam when they see it.

Sorry if that offends and the above is not aimed at you per se but I would guess from your over reaction to my opinion you are sensitive about this type of subject matter, but there are serious issues associated.
  • Rocker said:
    Come on guys, lighten up.  FFS nobody in their right mind would contemplate purchasing such stuff.  
    If that were true, Russ Andrews would be working in a call centre or cleaning toilets. Sadly, it's not and people do actually fall for it :(
    <space for hire>
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    I take your point @johnnyurg but I am not in the slightest bit "upset" by your or any comments on these fuses. It was me who started this thread, I saw the subject as highly amusing and absurd. I am an audio guy but am not against poking fun at my hobby. Gotta remain honest or I too could get sucked into buying these fused. For my system I would need 5.....:)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    The question is, why do you find "audio quality fuses" absurd, but not "audio quality power cables"? I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm genuinely interested!

Given that the same current in the power cable has to also flow through the fuse, surely if one makes a difference then the other must, and if one doesn't then the other can't.

Particularly as the fuse is - intentionally - the "bottleneck" in the whole power chain. That's the whole point of it, so it fails first in the case of an overload. So the fuse must have at least as much potential to affect the sound as the power cable...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Maybe they're good novelty gifts for the hifi obsessive in your life? Subtle way to gently tell someone they're taking it a bit far?
    (I imagine not though)
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Rocker said:
    I take your point @johnnyurg but I am not in the slightest bit "upset" by your or any comments on these fuses. It was me who started this thread, I saw the subject as highly amusing and absurd. I am an audio guy but am not against poking fun at my hobby. Gotta remain honest or I too could get sucked into buying these fused. For my system I would need 5.....:)
    As I said @Rocker not having a go at you as I know where you stand on audiophile related stuff in the main and yes there are areas of it where we would have to agree to disagree.

I just think charlatans in any arena need outing and kept "honest" and I cannot see how he and others like him can get away with it. I suspect in my day (70's) they may have been investigatedand I am sure I remember a local "snake oil audio" type did indeed get told to desist.

I get your poking fun at it and I have a sense of humour I really do but I find the fact these people are not beng challenged by trading standards and the like is deplorable. Those with more money than sense will be easily parted from their cash as will green about the gills less hardcore folks.

Things like this always remind me of a pro sound engineer who with a straight face told us he could hear way above 28Khz and for ever more was called fido, part in jest and part in incredulity. He expected then to be taken seriously by his peers who had been around the block and ran sound for some very serious being touring (and standing shows) pros.

Ignoring how overtones and harmonics affect how we hear it he was claiming he could hear a fundamental at that sort of frequencies, laughable really.

He spouts this kind of crap about Russ Andrews shit and annoys anyone who even mentions a music system within his (presumably enhanced) hearing and gets very angry when challenged.

Sadly both online and in the real world this is my experience of so called fervent audiophiles in many places in the UK, they can also be seen hanging aournd any quality Hi Fi centre or booteek one frowning and looking down upon people like the Harry Enflield (you don't wanna do it like that) character and insisiting they are correct under any circumstances.

I ma sure we have all met and had to back away whilst smiling from these twats, even if they were right (and as tech stuff went they mostly full of shit) the way they conduct themselves is horrible, especially when "advising" some poor schmoe who has no chance of affording anyhting booteek.

Do they change tack and apply their knowledge to the lower price points? Well no or very rarely in my experience and I was very friendly with a few Hi Fi shop owners here so spent Saturdays splitting my time between local Hi Fi shops and the local guitar shops.

For clarity I am not pointing that at you because I don't know you well enough to say such a thing, but surely you recognise the above numpties I am talking about.

I will say though fomr your posts on here and MR in my opinion you do seem to sometimes have a thin skin as far as any criticism against "audio/audiophile guys" and react in rather an entrenched manner, sorry dude but I have to call it as I see it and no offence meant.

Fair enough I have a rant about such silliness and that is due to the sheer dishonesty and nonsense put about to line their pockets or in the I am superior to you (bad) audiophile types cultivate and aim at people. At best they are fooling themselves that they can hear what they say they can hear at worst the are lying to all und sundry which will I reckon result in people getting shafted.

Subjectitivity and confirmation bias aside to behave as though everyone must take your word and have no way of proving they will notice any difference is grade A arrogance.

The best they can say is it sounds better to me but sadly I have no way of proving it, so go test shit for yourself if in the market at whatever price point.

As for the fuse might as well use a 6 inch nail welded in there for all the good it will do audiophile wise.

Carry on poking fun at your hobby though dude as we all need to do that and I wouldn't want to stop you doing that.
    ;)