Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Thinking of opening a guitar store. Am I insane?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    edited February 2015
    Theres a guy who has opened a very successful guitar shop in middlesbrough. Most of the locals prefer it to the bigger chains, you get a really personal touch! So it can be done! 

The shop is called steven james guitars. If you're ever in the area have a run in! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Also, to keep up with the way things are going you would be wise to run a webshop alongside your store 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    What about a combination between a guitar shop and a library.

For example I pay a membership and borrow stuff in return.

:)

• JadenJaden Frets: 251
    you know what they say.
    if you wanna make a million in the guitar business, start with five ;)
    Jaden Rose Guitars :: Jaden Rose Guitars on Facebook :: My Facebook :: YouTube

The young do not know enough to be prudent, therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.

• Well, I've started my business plan. I'm a couple of years away I think but I'm confident I can make it work. Registered the domain name too. Naturally, all you lot will be looked after when I'm up and running. ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I always believed in you.
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    edited February 2015
    Snap said:
    I live in Sheffield, and there's a prime retail location called Ecclesall Rd. Full of independent shops and cafes, bars etc. Cool area. Consequently, the rents are huge, 20k a year and going some for a small retail space. Couple of years ago an independent guitar store, Wizard Guitars opened, and he's still going. they stock relatively rare second hand stuff, and the prices are not bad. You see all sorts of stuff I've not seen in years in there. It's a great shop, dead interesting, and something must be working cos he's still open. Lot of stock in it too. I think he has a second shop in Doncaster, which will be cheaper to run.

I wonder if they have a better stock these days - I called in their shop in doncaster a couple of times and had an interesting discussion about guitars with blatantly fake decals - I assumed they had some connection with the infamous music ground chaps.  maybe they learned ways to make a guitar business work from them.

Good luck with the plans Spacecadet - I'm sure everyone here would love to have another favoured shop we can try to send our business to.
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 94
    I find most guitar shop intimidating, if you could nail the shop that is relaxed and doesn't make customers feel like they have the technical ability of little wayne you may have a chance! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Theres a guy who has opened a very successful guitar shop in middlesbrough. Most of the locals prefer it to the bigger chains, you get a really personal touch! So it can be done! 

The shop is called steven james guitars. If you're ever in the area have a run in! 
    But is it actually successful, or just busy? They're not the same thing!

Trouble is, cost of doing business in the UK is very high, and if you go north where it's cheaper, you also get less people with £3k to drop on the latest Gibson CS or boutique whatnot.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires