Who is using the GigRig Generator and Isolator?

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
Just curious really. Thinking of grabbing them and flogging my PP2+
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Using a Generator but not the isolators only because I don't have any need for them. Generator is awesome. My whole board is getting clean noiseless power. My board currently consists of....

Gigrig G2
    CAE Wah
    Polytune
    SP Comp
    Prince Of Tone
    Ac Booster
    Pitch Fork
    Hall Of Fame
    Radial Trimode
    Mobius
    Timeline

Lot's of specific power requirements and juice needed. Generator handles it all no problem with a single IEC. 

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    So what is that @spacecadet? You just connect directly to the Generator?
  • Drew, I'm using them with the distributor and the isolators... Gigrig2 arriving tomorrow...

Easy to use and very solid

• Single plug to the Generator. That feeds 2 Distributors that feed either the pedal directly or in the case of the Strymons and Radial, they have their own specific power adaptors that automatically isolate. The Gigrig site has a fantastic chart that tells you what you need for each pedal. Most will work from a Distributor which is to be fair an expensive but incredibly neat daisy chain. Pedals that need higher power (Strymon, Eventide etc) have adaptors but they do bump up the price a bit. 

For me the fact it's versatile, really discreet and will work anywhere in the world is priceless. 
    Hmmm... maybe it'd be cheaper to get the Generator, a distributor, and two isolators from somewhere. The DD7's don't like sharing power. This is what I've got:

Dunlop 535Q
    Ernie Ball Volume Junior
    Boss TU3
    MXR Phase 90
    Boss DD7 (set to reverse)
    Boss DD7 (set to digital)
    Boss FS5U with a DIY 'Y' cable (for simultaneous tap tempo of both DD7's at once)
    ...finally a Boss RV5.

As you can see, it is not a boutique board! I've room for two more pedals perhaps... and most likely they would be bog standard Boss or Digitech variants. I'm not much into the boutique pedals out there!

So... the only problem I have is when my DIY tap tempo cable or the Dunlop 535Q are anywhere near the Pedal Power 2+, I get additional hum in my signal. It's quite bad, and I've taken to moving the wah off the board, and moving the DIY cable as far away from the PP2+ as I can.

I guess my question is whether I will get this issue if I go GigRig.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    I'm using generator, distributer, isolator, time lord and 5 battery isolators.
    Fantastic gear!
  • If the DD7 has to be isolated you wouldn't need 2 for that lot. The Isolator has a few outputs so for that lot you would only need one distributor and one isolator. That should cover you with an extra power output or 2 for future add ons. My generator is on the top corner of my board, right next to my wah, tuner, comp and od. No noise at all. Treat yourself. Also if you have any problems (as I did because I hadn't wired it correctly) Dan is amazing. He will talk you through it and help out any other issues you might have. 
    edited December 2014
    Will the generator fit underneath a pedaltrain? I am guessing the isolators and distributors will with no problems.
  • Will fit perfectly. They're tiny little things and come with really long wires so you can cut to length and keep them neat and tidy. Seriously, they're fantastic things. Check the gigrig site and facebook page for some cracking examples of boards using it. 
    The underneath of my new boardphoto IMG_20141128_155557.jpg
    Where is the generator Allico?

Sorry for twenty questions :D
  • The generator is surprisingly small itself mate... Great gear, but costs can mount up. I will say though, some of the best service Ive ever encountered from a company.
    Drew_fx;440129" said:
    Where is the generator Allico?

Sorry for twenty questions :D
    No worries mate that's what were all here for!
    I haven mounted the generator to the board.
    You see the wood that the isolator and distributer sit next to? That's about a half inch tall to give the board a slight slope. The generator was a touch too tall and sat a bit proud meaning the board would rest on the generator and not the wood when its the right way up.
    As waz says it is pricey, but if you take it piece by piece every so often its not too bad and it really is worth every penny! Its superb gear!

• Slightly off topic @drew_fx but what do you think of the Boss RV-5? Does it go 100% wet?
  • I've got the generator, distributors, isolators, and a few specific adaptors - eg. Evenflow, El Paso, a couple of ACAOKs.

It's really good gear. Not the cheapest, but works really well.

One thing to check - the isolator outputs (it has 4) are not high current - I think each output is rate for 150mA - so it can't power some pedals. Looks like the DD-7 is OK though - check here: http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/TheGigRig-Modular-Power-Supply-EFFECTSLIST.html#SID=24

R.
  • GigRig power is modular and is excellent. No noise. I need to move back to this set up. Much quieter than Voodoo Lab and is better underneath the board.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24659
    Me.

I have the Gen, 1 distributor and 2 isolators. It's superb. A real plug it in and forget about it bit of kit.

Very quiet, loads of power and I'm very impressive.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24659
    Drew, I've tagged you in some FB pics of my PT2 with the Gigrig on it.
    Slightly off topic @drew_fx but what do you think of the Boss RV-5? Does it go 100% wet?
    Pretty sure it can't do 100% wet when plugged into input A. If you plug into input B and output A, then you'll just get wet signal, but if you bypass the pedal you'll get silence.
    Drew, I've tagged you in some FB pics of my PT2 with the Gigrig on it.
    Thanks dude!!! Those look decent. Tells me exactly what I need to know.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4305

Very quiet, loads of power and I'm very impressive.
    Sure you are!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom