Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Drive Pedals That Preserve the Classic Telecaster Tone

What's Hot
exocetexocet Frets: 1967
I've been playing more of my Telecaster recently and have grown more fond of the classic "both pick-ups on" tone.

However I've noticed that most of my Drive pedals completely trash the fundamental "chirpy" nature of this tone.

Only one of my pedals (Joyo Sweet Baby) makes a good fist of keeping it in tact. All of the others (Kalamazoo, Zen Drive, ReezaFratZitz) appear to "add" too much Lower Mids into the mix which upsets the balance.

The Joyo Sweet Baby rolls off quite a lot of low end so I'm guessing that's why it sounds pretty good with the classic Tele tone.

However, to my ears - the Joyo rolls off too much lower end and can make things overly bright as a result.

Which other drive pedals preserve the Tele tone without loosing too much low end.........or am I going about it the wrong way?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I've not tried them with a Tele (Me and Tele's don't get on) but have a try of the MXR range, all retain the tones which go into them, yet retain their own sound.

The Distortion+ tightens the low, and adds a sparkle to the top (For example)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Subdecay Liquid Sunshine is fantastic with a Tele (and most other guitars).

A Timmy perhaps, or the Timmy flavoured Lovepedal OD11
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    I'd forgotten about the Timmy...it's not on my board at the moment but given the Bass EQ provided by that pedal I'm sure it can work.

Liquid Sunshine is on my acquisition list - are there significant tonal differences between the different versions e.g. MK1, MK2, MK3 etc or are they all good? 
  • nobels odr
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12682
    Nobles as mentioned above or any other 'transparent' drive does well.

Frankly, I like a Tele into my Okko Diablo or my Hotcake (set to Bluesberry) - still sounds like a Tele to me. :-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12429
    My Box of Rock clone retains my Teles character really well
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • exocet said:

Liquid Sunshine is on my acquisition list - are there significant tonal differences between the different versions e.g. MK1, MK2, MK3 etc or are they all good? 
    I've had the Mk2 and Mk3. I never had both at the same time though, but I think I preferred the Mk 2, it's slightly lover gain compared to the Mk3 and on the Mk2 you have two gain controls that interact, takes a bit of playing with. The Mk3 is a bit simpler to use, with the empasife control (a fancy tone control really).
  • Rat, Hotcake, Liquid Sunshine :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11472
    OCD is transparent, and not mid heavy.
    edited December 2014
    I'm not convinced that the issue is down to one of transparency of pedal. My view is that a transparent pedal at its simplest, does not roll off bass ala Tubescreamer.

My Kalamazoo does not roll off bass , neither does it "add mids" - the pedals EQ does not contain the required components to selectively boost Mids - you'd need a 3 band EQ for that or similar.

When using the Kakamazoo with Bridge Pickup - I don't get the same effect - it sounds like a Telecaster, but dirty. The Bridge / Neck combo however is completely different.

I get the same effect with the drive channel of my amp ( Dumble clone) - leaving the EQ where it is, Bridge sounds good but Bridge / Neck sounds wrong....played clean with same EQ the Bridge / Neck combo is fine. This amps "drive" is pretty much full range as well...no bass roll off. This leads me to think that the issue is related to allowing too much low end through.....in that respect a "Transparent Pedal" does not appear to be the way forward....there again that's just based on my interpretation of what a Transparent pedal is.

I should add that my main amp is not the Dumble clone - it's a basic Fender derived combo - 6l6 based , pretty clean and bright sounding.

• Red Llama loves my Teles
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6172
    I built a clone of the Xotic BB and without doubt it is the most transparent OD I have every used on my Telecaster. Most ODs rob the low end or hump the mids, but the BB keeps all the original slappy-fatness but with rich harmonic drive.

Additionally I would also recommend you SERIOUSLY check out the Emma Stinkbug as it born for Telecasters. It is jaw droppingly good and not bad value either.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • crunchman said:
    OCD is transparent, and not mid heavy.
    This. It keeps the low end so makes Teles sound especially rich without altering the base tone.
    Stinkbug sounds good to my ears. I like Emma approach to Product Design / Marketing - definitely different from the norm.

I dug out my ReezaFratZitz last night for some "heavy tones" - don't normally go for that kind of sound nowadays but I have to say that with a Telecaster and Clean amp, the RezzaFratZitz kicks ass.....doesn't work with the Classic Tele Neck / Bridge combo but with that amount of gain, I wouldn't expect it to.
  • exocet said:
    I'm not convinced that the issue is down to one of transparency of pedal. My view is that a transparent pedal at its simplest, does not roll off bass ala Tubescreamer.

As has been said: liquid sunshine

If you find an Xotic BB second hand, go for it (or alternatively an Xotic AC - slightly different voicing but still very good for tele).

I tried a Digitech Hardwire Overdrive (green one) a while ago and was also very impressed. Another TS-derived pedal, but with a bass control, and a voicing switch. 

• if a pedal has a voicing surely it is not transparent?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Zvex SHO or Clone. Not really a drive pedal but sounds awesome!
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    I'm going to give a vote for an MXR 78, I've only tried one on a strat and a semi but it did not mask the guitar at all. I found it better than the OCD or the AC booster both of which I have (or have just sold)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    impmann said:
    Nobles as mentioned above or any other 'transparent' drive does well.
    +1- nobels odr, timmy, blues driver/screamin blues, etc. etc. should all work more or less

I didn't notice the sweet baby to roll off much bass? i actually use mine with bass now since it sounds really good on bass (and normally pedals which cut bass don't). Maybe mine's dodgy :))
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    My Strat has a Tele bridge pu and I love bridge+neck for Motown-type sounds. Both a modded Soul Food and a Formula no. 5 clone work well in that context. With the latter, I turn the guitar vol down to 7-8 for clean rhythm.