Pedalboard woe.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    shaunm said:
    The soul food was on my list but I thought it too close to the AC Booster. I did consider the East River or the Glove as options. Would either of these work in the buffer sense?
    I haven't tried them, but according to the EHX site they're both true bypass. So no buffer.

One of the main reasons I keep my soul food in my chain is the buffer. :)) It cost me no more than a standalone buffer, plus I get a decent OD pedal (or clean boost, depending on the settings on the pedal) as well.

Granted, I may not feel as good about it if it dies (since I've been hearing complaints about EHX reliability), but for the time being it's pretty nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

TheEast River is basically a tubescreamer by another name/make......

Funnily I plan on (ab)using mine this very evening, as I don't use it a great deal....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I think I'd swap the ac booster and the mxr, then you'd be boosting the distortion rather than distorting an overdrive, if that makes sense. But if it works for you, nice one! :D
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    I tried it that way round first and it just doesn't seem to work as well. I set the AC boost so it has a decent amount of drive and the MXR so that it gives me a tone similar to A just breaking up Marshall so I think I have more drive on the AC 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72670
    edited December 2014
    shaunm said:
    Well a huge thank you to all who commented. I've made some adjustments and it's made a huge difference. 

I have changed the pedal order to 

Guitar>Wah>Fuzzface>MXR 78>AC Booster>TC Spark>Trex Tremster>Carbon Copy. 

I've put it all in the front of the amp and this seems to make a huge difference to the Carbon Copy, it seems more lively and for some reason not as dark. 

The MXR works well now when stacking it with the AC, it's no longer flabby sounding, but I do think a different pedal might be needed in its place.
    Try swapping the AC and the MXR before you replace the MXR. In my experience overdrive into distortion works much better than distortion into overdrive.

The Laney loop is quite poor, which may have been why the Carbon Copy didn't sound good in it. You should also find the trem has more effect in front of the amp since it's operating on the whole signal instead of only half of it as it does in this loop.

Oops, should have read ThePrettyDamned's post first :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom