Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How do you find new music

What's Hot
robwrightrobwright Frets: 739
edited December 2014 in Music
For me it was Melody Maker, then Q magazine and Later with Jools.

Now it's US TV shows! The Walking Dead, The 100, Scorpion, Arrow, Bitten.

Armed with Shazam (or tunefind.com for the more obscure stuff) I have come across some great new music!
And a lot of it is by Brit artists (Fink are all over US TV!).

A round of applause for the music programmers over there and what a great job to have. The only UK show to come close is Waterloo Road - not the best TV but a great soundtrack (although achingly cool at times! UK Indie can still be 'too cool for school' - and that pun was intended!).

Anyone else got square eyes but some great new music?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Some of those US TV shows have really high quality soundtracks, but I can never be bothered to actually find out what the songs are!

Recently I've been using the Spotify radio function to find new music which is like the music I already know/like, and you can always skip the rubbish ones!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    edited December 2014
    Here, Spotify, 6 Music, using Shazam in shops and pubs if I like the sound of something, FIFA and NFS soundtracks, @equalsql (he's got to have the most diverse music taste of anyone I know) , the younger guys I work with (electronic, ambient, dub, reggae, hip hop etc.). The older guys I work with (Northern Soul, prog,jazz and folk) The singer in my band is always into something new too. I'm always up for something. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Has anyone heard David Ford? Great songwriter who started during the 'loop boom' (listen to State of the Nation on youtube) but now more 'band-sounding'! Seen him live on numerous occasions (almost at stalker-ish levels!) and I really rate him.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5130
    I'm lucky that as a music writer I'm on a number of mailing lists for a lot of the underground labels. People like Iron Bonehead, WTC and the like are releasing some killer albums. Word of mouth is the still the best way. That, and searching old blogs for lost classics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    There's new music?  Like, recorded after the 20th century?  I'm missing out! :o
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    look on allmusic  - find your favourites, then looks for their influences and similar arists, then check those on spotify and amazon
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4379
    My mate now owns the record shop I used to work in (poor bastard owning a record shop these days). He knows what I like and puts me on to stuff if I haven't heard it already.

I also hunt YT and Google. If I like someone I look at their influences etc. and who they like and go from there. Kind of like ToneControl said above.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    mostly from Mojo / Uncut / Facebook friends
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23589
    edited December 2014
    I mostly listen to the same stuff I've liked for the last 30 or 35 years, but on the rare occasions I hear something new that I like, I look at the "related artists" links on Spotify.  There's probably loads of good stuff which completely passes me by though.

I lost touch with the actual pop charts many years ago, I couldn't tell you anything in the current top 40.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Small gigs with no idea is on. Caught Kasabian (who I don't actually like l, but you get the idea) with less than 10 other people on a cold Sunday night in Carlisle once. Their first single came out a couple weeks later.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Have to trawl through some mince mind you.
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1958
    Spotify with Pitchfork plugin and 6 Music does me
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    edited December 2014
    Usually use for album reviews. http://www.music-map.com and sometimes come across random songs and bands when watching skateboard clips online, usually from http://www.thrashermagazine.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    edited December 2014
    Hmmm a mix of things! 

Sometimes if I'm looking for something specific, I'll look on Amazon, and then I'll look at the suggestions afterwards if I'm in the mood to discover something new. Similarly on iTunes, the "listeners also bought" is always handy. 

Sometimes I spot something in a record store I like the look of so I track down the samples on iTunes before deciding. 

Sometimes I hear things on TV ads. 

I often browse these threads. Discovered a few things here. I also use the Joe Bonamassa forum, the "other artists" threads there and on the Alter Bridge Nation forums among others often yield some goodies. 

My dad is always listening to stuff on Spotify based off reviews in Power Play magazine. I also rely on Classic Rock magazine and Guitarist's reviews sections to try and rat out some new things to listen to.

Or if I'm out and about and hear something I'll get Soundhound up on my iPhone to help me identify it ;) 

Oh and local library. If I see things by bands I've heard of but haven't bothered to check them out yet I'll pick them up and have a listen! It's free and I can listen as much or as little as I like... Saves a lot of money and you get the whole tracks and can take it in the car etc, don't have to rely on Spotify/Internet etc! 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • years ago: radio, mates, Melody Maker, the record shop

now: radio, mates, this site, Guitarist

loss of the Maker, and record shops is IMO the main cause of current musical impoverishment, followed by not having mates who come round (or who I visit) purely for the purpose of listening to music
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited December 2014

I suppose I pick up on some stuff from guitar magazines, but Guitar Player's a bit too esoteric (world music, jazz etc) and the UK magazines tend to be mired in blues-rock and classic rock.  Some of which is good, but not exactly cutting-edge - and it's new releases from established artists, rather than actual new bands.

Years ago it was Melody Maker, Sounds (not the NME) then Kerrang.  All now defunct or catering to a different audience.

• I just look to see what T-shirts the cool kids are wearing.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    Like @Reverend I'm on a few mailing lists for label distros, also word of mouth (via forums) and getting out to gigs.
    Bidley said:
    Like @Reverend I'm on a few mailing lists for label distros, also word of mouth (via forums) and getting out to gigs.

Oh yeah, I forgot I get emails from Relapse, Nuclear Blast and a couple of other labels.  Don't end up buying much though.

• The forums on rateyourmusic.com and I browse custom "best of" charts and lists on there to find new stuff.  Very good site.