Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How do you find new music

What's Hot

Comments

• robwright said:
    Has anyone heard David Ford? Great songwriter who started during the 'loop boom' (listen to State of the Nation on youtube) but now more 'band-sounding'! Seen him live on numerous occasions (almost at stalker-ish levels!) and I really rate him.
    @robwright He's AWESOME. I've been a fan since his early Easyworld days, and have just about everything he's ever put out. Absolutely brilliant and noone's ever heard of him!
    I just look to see what T-shirts the cool kids are wearing.

So that's still Led Zepellin and the Rolling Stones then?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robwright said:
    Has anyone heard David Ford? Great songwriter who started during the 'loop boom' (listen to State of the Nation on youtube) but now more 'band-sounding'! Seen him live on numerous occasions (almost at stalker-ish levels!) and I really rate him.
    @robwright He's AWESOME. I've been a fan since his early Easyworld days, and have just about everything he's ever put out. Absolutely brilliant and noone's ever heard of him!
    I just look to see what T-shirts the cool kids are wearing.

So that's still Led Zepellin and the Rolling Stones then?
    I sure hope so - I got myself a nice diamante Rolling Stones t-shirt for xmas.  
  • Damn, I just started a topic on the charts which was really akin to what this thread is about..
  • Spotify is an absolute God send for me, I spend hours on there. No one telling me what to listen to, but small pointers of similar related artists. @robwright, yep, saw David Ford down in Bridport with Teddy Thompson. Brilliant.
  • That was a great tour - saw them at The Thekla in Bristol. Thought DF was a great addition to Teddys touring band!

Now, have I mentioned Foy Vance? 'Indiscriminate Act of Kindness' could be the greatest song ever written ..........

• I'd love to find a way i could reliably find new music, but Spotify scares the heck out of me. Seems a bit like saying, "Hmm so you like books, here is the British library - what would you like?" but I'm sure that is probably the best bet. I'm too picky so end up listening to the same stuff I like as usually I find "related artists" on itunes etc to be none too accurate. I looked on there for White Stripes and it suggested Black Keys who i dislike. I tried the Strokes and i think it gave me Killers or Razorlight (remember them?!), neither of whom I like by any stretch. Very specific examples but indicative of the helpfulness to somebody as annoyingly picky as me. It (pickiness) holds me back so would be great to find a way to get past that
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • 6music (Blossoms are good) and recommendations from friends. My old bass player was particularly good in this respect and got me into the Sadies.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27955
    We used to do the "mixtape" thing, occasionally, over on MR.  That introduced me to some new stuff.

Guess we could do something similar based on Spotify playlists perhaps??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Metacritic.  Lazy but it works!
  • It's almost always by word of mouth these days...which is depressing as the number of people still seriously into music in my friendship group is ever declining as we get older :(
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TTony;452153" said:
    We used to do the "mixtape" thing, occasionally, over on MR.  That introduced me to some new stuff.

That was ace I would totally be up for doing that again.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 739
    edited December 2014
    TTony said:

Sounds good - how would we do it?

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    Speciality labels.

I think this has always been around.  I remember getting into the 4AD rosta, and Trojan, and so on.

Today I've pretty much exclusively been listening to what has to be my favourite label of the year:

Cosmicleaf

The artists are on spotify and youtube too, so easy to find.  Great stuff (for this genre).
    edited December 2014
    robwright said:

Sounds good - how would we do it?

@robwright ; iirc those who were into it all opted into a thread.  Then I think what happened next was that your name got randomly drawn against someone else's name.  Then you both swapped 10-12 tracks, listened to them, and finished off by posting a brief review. 

We did it a few times and some you win, some you lose.  Of the "wins" I've still got some of those tracks on my favourite playlists and I'd have never come across them without the swapsies.  (And with Spotify playlists posted on the thread you can listen to anyone else's list if you want to.)

So I'm up for it. 
  • Just been reading through this thread. Id definately be up for the whole mixtape swap thing.

• Sounds like a top idea - not sure I understand how to do it but if anyone can set it up, I'd love to take part!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27955
    edited December 2014
    Hmmm. Back in the old days, we used CDRs to swap the tracks.  Then we used a mix of CDRs and Spotify as more people got signed up to Spotify.

I'm guessing that most people, and most tracks that we'd all want to include on a "mixtape", are on Spotify now??

[edit]
    Thinking about it a bit more ...

With the CD-R version, the recipient didn't always know what he was listening to, so would listen to the tracks properly and would have to do the review blind.  

Doing it via a Spotify track list, you'd see immediately what tracks/artists had been included on your "mixtape" which (a) might not be quite so exciting and (b) might stop people listening and reviewing with a properly open-mind.

?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited December 2014
    TTony said:
    Doing it via a Spotify track list, you'd see immediately what tracks/artists had been included on your "mixtape" which (a) might not be quite so exciting and (b) might stop people listening and reviewing with a properly open-mind.
    As it happens this wasn't a problem and probably wouldn't be now.  I think mainly because everyone who signed up to it was into getting music which someone else found good.  So you give it the benefit of the doubt even if it's by Yes or Chas n Dave. 
  • Random comment (triggered by the mention of Chas and Dave!) but did anyone see the Chas and Dave Xmas special on C5 on Xmas day? Must have been late 70's/early 80's and it had Clapton and Albert Lee on - and it was proper shite! Light entertainment has come a long way!

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5130
    edited December 2014
    It turns out that my band is finally on spotify :) https://open.spotify.com/artist/4DNdUwiMsqqfr91veOIN6T