Are you colour deficient ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
I am.... can't see a fucking thing on any of them....  it's what stopped me from becoming an airline pilot (though I'm sure there would have been plenty of other obstacles on the way too !).

Quite an interesting video below the test on whether we all see the 'same' colours.

TEST:

Other video:

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16075
    I am more of a ......delinquent
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty much entirely colour blind. Hasn't ever bothered me that much except for when people automatically ask the question "how do you deal with traffic lights".  :|
  • Watched the first clip, 15/15. I have been known to have some confusion between blue and green so slightly suprised.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited December 2014
    How does anyone get on with electrical wiring if they're colour blind?

• How does anyone get on with electrical wiring if they're colour blind?

shockingly

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pretty much entirely colour blind. Hasn't ever bothered me that much except for when people automatically ask the question "how do you deal with traffic lights".  :|
    I think the appropriate response to that is, "How did you survive past puberty?"

I got 15/15. Never really had trouble with those tests, and I can do those weird 3D things quite easily too - I've always been able to consciously control the focus of my eyes (which I'm told is a bit unusual in someone my age), and I find that very useful with both types of test.
    <space for hire>
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    edited December 2014
    No problems with colours but I've got a moderate to moderate-plus deficit for facial recognition -- I score about 30% on facial recognition tests whereas iirc most people score around 70%.  I can't, for instance, remember what anyone looks like as I try and imagine them, not even my sons' faces.  It's not much of a problem in real life (because you use other cues to remember people) but it makes watching films really confusing which is why I don't bother with them much.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sometimes when I look at @Gassage's pedalboard all I see is greys.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Was tested when I joined the army. Scored 100%
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I could see them all, where's my pilot's licence?
    My V key is broken
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited December 2014

Pretty much entirely colour blind. Hasn't ever bothered me that much except for when people automatically ask the question "how do you deal with traffic lights".  :|

That pisses me off too.  People are so stupid eh.  Always wanted to be a helicopter pilot as a kid and with the results of my colourblindness I gave up on cadets and the whole ticket.  Still, would have been a crap job anyway.  In certain lights I have problems with jackets and carpets and stuff, I mean, they could be dark green, but also they could be dark red.  The thing is you read colours by their hue, which mostly gets you through, but it is something that goes over the heads of most other people who see colour completely efficiently.  That is why colourblind people make great artists.  I would go as far as saying blind people make great artists too, but I would be lying.

Also colourblind people can spot movement or wild animals at much...much further distances, unless they also need glasses.  So they are genetically superior in other ways.  Where as the sheeple who see colour have to shop at Morrisons because they have failed in life.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • I think stopping someone becoming a pilot because they struggle with differentiating colours is a bit ridiculous.  As a passenger I would feel much safer with a pilot who is clearer about the point where sky becomes ground rather than where turquoise becomes teal.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 15/15

did a test like this at school, might have been 15 yo but not sure. they got me to look into these binocular type things and they said "what's the number?" I said "what number - all I can see is a lot of coloured dots". Then they told me what number I was looking for and I sussed that it was a game about seeing a symbol made of slightly different coloured dots amongst all the others. I got all the other slides right without any prompting. At first though, I didn't know what i was supposed to be looking for.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    edited December 2014

Ha ha. I got three out of 15.  No. 2, and barely 10 and 14, which I guessed.  Do you think I am a moron or something?

Jesus, you must be a moron if you can't get No.2, Santa would be dressed in one colour and it would be hard to tell him apart from the Holly.

I think stopping someone becoming a pilot because they struggle with differentiating colours is a bit ridiculous.  As a passenger I would feel much safer with a pilot who is clearer about the point where sky becomes ground rather than where turquoise becomes teal.
    I think it's more a case that you might be landing on a carrier late at night.  Still, when it's foggy., no one can see anything anyway, so you have a point and at least of the emergency lights flash red, you won't panic.
    And another point, which I noticed whilst redecorating is that colour is relative and depends on the colours around it, as your rentina's will be messed up to a degree and things also interact with reflect other colours.  It also depends on lighting.  This is why I get so mad when people say paint a wall white, of you are a tight bastard and don't want to spend any money on halogens, Desert Sand is a much better colour for dark walls and even the most vibrant lime greens look yellowy or primrose, given a lack of lighting
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    I could only see one of them :-( Interestingly I don't really see myself as colour deficient, I think it's more that I can't do those particular tests there are never any times in life when I think something is a different colour to everyone else (other than sometimes the border of grey and green). I had to do these tests in a medical before starting my job and they said I was colour deficient so I asked what that meant and she said "you can't be a pilot or an electrical engineer" which was funny as they'd just employed me as an electrical engineer!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited December 2014
    Sambostar said:
    And another point, which I noticed whilst redecorating is that colour is relative and depends on the colours around it, as your rentina's will be messed up to a degree and things also interact with reflect other colours.  It also depends on lighting.  This is why I get so mad when people say paint a wall white, of you are a tight bastard and don't want to spend any money on halogens, Desert Sand is a much better colour for dark walls and even the most vibrant lime greens look yellowy or primrose, given a lack of lighting

You are celebrity fop, and ever so camp Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, and I claim my tenner.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I think stopping someone becoming a pilot because they struggle with differentiating colours is a bit ridiculous.  As a passenger I would feel much safer with a pilot who is clearer about the point where sky becomes ground rather than where turquoise becomes teal.
    Knowing which is right and left on an aircraft is handy though. (Why this might be a problem is an exercise for the reader.)

Pretty much entirely colour blind. Hasn't ever bothered me that much except for when people automatically ask the question "how do you deal with traffic lights".  :|
    I think the appropriate response to that is, "How did you survive past puberty?"

More difficult at distance though surely? Not that it makes a massive difference, which is why it isn't an issue for car driving.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    I failed the Giles-Archer lantern test at the CAA Medical Centre at Gatwick by just 15% - so my colour deficiency isn't that bad (despite not being able to see any of the plates in my link (the 'Ishihara plates', which those are based on are the most sensitive of all tests)).  So, despite telling people I have a 15% deficiency, the first thing they ask me is - how do you deal with traffic lights - or - 'what colour is this then ?' whilst pointing to a pillar-box red jumper.  Morons.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."