Are you colour deficient ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited December 2014

Come on Emp you must of seen Plate 2, that was like Bright Green and Scarlet.

When they ask the moronic question of the moron to me I answer 'Blue' and they reply 'NO way....Really?....wow, you really are colourblind'

Morons.

BTW. What colours did Plate 2 appear to you then...

:))
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24694
    edited December 2014
    I just tried it again - and if I tilt my laptop screen down a bit, it all becomes clear !  Unfortunately, that didn't work for the other plates.

It's weird - it's not that I can't see the different colours in plate 2 - I just can't join them together well enough to make any pattern - unless I tilt the screen down and then it's obviously 60.

It really annoys me that I can't see anything other than random dots in any of the other plates.  There's one or two where I can just make out a fraction of a curve, but that's it.  I've often wondered what the world really looks like to people with normal colour vision, as, obviously, what I've seen all my life is slightly different to everyone else who's normal (Hence the second clip I posted).  I wonder if the grass really is greener than I see it ? (I have issues with greens and white - I think ! - maybe someone who is able to see all the plates can tell me what the colours are that I cannot see).  I saddens me a little to think I'll never ever be able to see fields of grass and trees as they really are.  Still, mustn't grumble - I'm doing a shitload better than Stevie Wonder on that front.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."

Yeah, that is what I did with 10 and 14.  Wow you really are colourblind eh.  What colour does a Royal Mail van appear to you then...

I painted my kitchen lime green, to me, it looks quite passive, everyone else thinks I have gone mad as it's so strong.

Everybody's vision yellows a bit as they age anyway, kind of like nitro cellulose.  I am sure that the sun shining on a lush green pasture field with massive big incoming purpley storm clouds and rain on the horizon still looks dramatic to you though, unless you look out the window and then put your shorts on as you think it's a sunny day with a big blue sky.

:))

In all seriousness, what I find hard is wring stuff in lack of light, although some more passive colours I obviously cannot distinguish, it's more the case I need the right light to see reds and greens, or at least tell which is which, as usually I can tell them apart, but don't know which is red or which is green.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15879
    pretty much complete colour blind here, didn't stop me joining the army. Oddly enough, would've stopped me being a train driver, so I guess it's probably good I've never really wanted to drive a train. Never had a problem with electrics (done lots of wiring in my time) nor things like traffic lights, I think that's one of those things said by people who don't actually understand what colour blindness is. The things that gets me is when you tell people they do things like get a load of coloured pens out and get you to tell them what colour they are. I generally reply with things like elephant, the London Philharmonic or fuck off and stop asking stupid questions.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • imalone said:
    More difficult at distance though surely? Not that it makes a massive difference, which is why it isn't an issue for car driving.
    Given that the lights are in different positions, it strikes me as being pretty bloody easy. Colour blindness doesn't mean you can't see the difference between lights that are on and off.

Besides which, unless you're doing some ridiculous speed, there's not a massive requirement to see the status of traffic lights at more than 40m or so (the stopping distance at 50mph) and they're always big enough to see their position relative to the body of the light assembly at that distance. If you can't distinguish that even with assistance (ie glasses), then you've probably got bigger problems with your vision which should disqualify you from driving anyway.
    <space for hire>
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12514
    15/15. I'm not really surprised tbh as I had to take the same compulsory test when I joined BT. They don't take too kindly to you wiring up 100 pair cables in the wrong order.
    For me, the real kick in the balls was that the CAA's requirements on colour vision for a Class 1 medical (for ATPL licences - i.e. airliners), were written back in the days when all pilots had handlebar moustaches and were all called 'ginger'.  Their defence of such stringent rules now are that you might need to see the antiquated coloured approach lights that still adorn the sides of runways, in the event that the other twenty billion systems fail.  In the US, they have a 'tower light test' and they shine a great big bright coloured light at you from the control tower whilst you're standing x feet away.  Piece of piss to pass.  Over here, they shine microscopic lights though incredibly small apertures - so small you can barely see the light, never mind the colour, from a distance.

I get it that they need safety, but this is an antiquated rule for times gone past - but - they have no reason to change it as it helps thin out the application pool.  As long as there are thousands of people willing to work for jack shit just to get onto the flightdeck, they have no reason to change.  Fucked me up good and proper.  Not that I'm bitter like.... after forty years.... still..... not bitter.
    Bastards.  I could have been a pilot.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    imalone said:
    More difficult at distance though surely? Not that it makes a massive difference, which is why it isn't an issue for car driving.
    Given that the lights are in different positions, it strikes me as being pretty bloody easy. Colour blindness doesn't mean you can't see the difference between lights that are on and off.
    I get that. Hence "more difficult at distance" where you can't see the position, and possibly at night where the post is more difficult to see the housing and post to judge it. And obviously it's not a big problem or we wouldn't let people with colour blindness drive.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15879
    the thing about colour blindness is that you have trouble differentiating different colours, when they are together. Traffic lights are well known for only having the red or green light lit at any one time. It may become an issue if they ever have the green and the red light lit at the same time. However, if they do that they it won't only be people with colour blindness that have trouble.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Emp_Fab said:
    For me, the real kick in the balls was that the CAA's requirements on colour vision for a Class 1 medical (for ATPL licences - i.e. airliners), were written back in the days when all pilots had handlebar moustaches and were all called 'ginger'.  Their defence of such stringent rules now are that you might need to see the antiquated coloured approach lights that still adorn the sides of runways, in the event that the other twenty billion systems fail.  In the US, they have a 'tower light test' and they shine a great big bright coloured light at you from the control tower whilst you're standing x feet away.  Piece of piss to pass.  Over here, they shine microscopic lights though incredibly small apertures - so small you can barely see the light, never mind the colour, from a distance.

I get it that they need safety, but this is an antiquated rule for times gone past - but - they have no reason to change it as it helps thin out the application pool.  As long as there are thousands of people willing to work for jack shit just to get onto the flightdeck, they have no reason to change.  Fucked me up good and proper.  Not that I'm bitter like.... after forty years.... still..... not bitter.
    Bastards.  I could have been a pilot.

They still use the lantern test for merchant navy exams. I've never taken it, but those that have echo your sentiments that it's hard enough to see the poxy light, never mind the colour.

Yeah but seriously who wants to be a commercial pilot.  The TWA Pan Am days are over.  I know a pilot for BA, he has a shit life, he has to live near Heathrow, it ruins his family life, his body clock is always messed up, he gets little time off and basically he is a glorified chauffeur. Or you could have been a cropduster and died of motor neuron disease aged 50.

As for the Navy?  Well say no more.

edited December 2014
    Sambostar said:

Yeah but seriously who wants to be a commercial pilot ?

I do.

edited December 2014

Yeah, but you can make taking a shit glamorous and exciting if you filmed it from the right angles and edit the film. 

Now try watching that movie for 12 hours straight, sitting in the same seat and not moving from it for 12 hours on three hours sleep at 2 in the morning with the oven fan on and  the microwave on high to simulate the noise, whilst eating a pot noodle, in the dark, whilst straining your eyes to see the alarm clock, whilst setting alight to the bathroom before you start and wondering if you can put it out in 12 hours time or not (To simulate the edginess induced by flying a twin engine against the jet stream, not knowing of you will run out of fuel over the sea or not, that would be more realistic and when you have finished, drive around the M25 seven times at rush hour without getting any sleep first and then try and teach at a school nursery for eight hours, again without any sleep, in the dark...on your own....with an owl.  It's a shit job.

I couldn't be a pilot, I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to crash it

/\ Thank fuck they have psych evaluations for wannabe pilots.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    What are you insinuating, I would have made a very good pilot.  Just that, on the odd occasion, I might not be able to resist the compulsion to send myself and the other 400 odd passengers on board into a nose dive from 37,000 feet to our deaths.  Other than that I would be fine.
    edited December 2014
    Ah. That's OK, then. We can rest assured that at least it would only have happened once.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Have you ever felt the urge, when standing on a balcony of a high room, or a cliff edge - to jump ?

I have.  I've never done it mind.... :-)  Not suicidal though - just 'there is only this barrier between me and certain death, and all I need to do is take two steps forward' strangeness.