Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Free cavity wall insulation - scam or real?

What's Hot
Had a phone call tonight from a lady who reckons I can have cavity wall insulation FOC, as part of a government sponsored energy saving scheme. Anyone know if genuine or not? Now I'd have thought if it was genuine, then Cameron or someone would be on tele (not on a Tele!) banging on about how he's helping hard-working families.
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    If it's a cold call, it's 99% certainly spam.

That said, there are some grants for cavity wall insulation: this place is usually a reliable guide to what's genuinely available:

• dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139
    I had this done about two years ago, all free and no catches. I'm sure there are some scam merchants around though, so I would check with your local authority to see if they are sponsoring it, aware of it or offer a similar scheme
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    If its too good to be true...
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    It's just a company offering it people that haven't taken up local authority grants, it's worth their effort cold calling as they can then sell the job to a local firm for the council to pay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16081
    mart said:
    If it's a cold call, it's 99% certainly spam.

That said, there are some grants for cavity wall insulation: this place is usually a reliable guide to what's genuinely available:

Jeez one learns something new every day.......I never knew spam worked as an insulation
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16981
    Check with your energy supplier as they have certain obligations you will be helping them meet.

Ours are offering free loft insulation to anyone

Sometimes its grants for new boilers but that tends to be dependant on benefits.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It could be true

• I had my loft done for free. It was a government funded scheme via the power companies. I researched it and found out that the uk was failing under the EU green rules, and to avoid funds they were doing this
    I would do your own research though and not go with a cold call company. I think the company was called Simon something. They did s brilliant job and totally free
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    We had ours done about 5 years detached house paid £200 not sure who picked up the rest of the bill but there are defo grants avaialble
    Oh yeah house is really warm and toastie
  • Just checked they were called the Mark Group.
  • Just checked they were called the Mark Group.

I see one of their vans on my drive to work most mornings, which advertises same scheme.
    edited December 2014
    Legit same company did ours they are huge in this area and love filling cavities
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had about £800 worth of cavity wall and loft insulation done about 2 years ago for fuck all, didn't pay a penny. You can still get it if you look about.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-cavity-loft-insulation#freeinsulation

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    edited December 2014
    I had my house done a few years ago, and a new boiler for free earlier in the year - I'd have the loft done too if it wouldn't involve me shifting the 2 skips full of junk that's currently insulating it. :)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Contact your utilities/energy provider, they are obliged to provide some energy saving grants and will have a 'partner' who will come round and do the job. The local council will also give free advice on the subject.  Some get it for free and others pay a small fee. The saving in heating cost and the cosy feel afterwards are worth the trouble IMHO.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3112
    There are free deals aroind, but beware of cowboy installers, a mate at work has just had a year long battle with his supplier. Seems they drilled through the outer wall injected said insulation which just spotted blobs on the inner wall and not completely filling the cavity, after complaints about cold wet spots on inside walls woth black mould and ruind decoration, a camera was put through the injection holes and all was declared correct by the installer, mate being handy removed a few bricks and called em back, they will now be back to remove it......many older houses weree not designed to have the cavity filled and it can cause huge problems that noone wants to sort out.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited December 2014

I would want some kind of feathery substance.  That old foam they used to use acted as a cold bridge and only made your walls and house colder and it introduced condensation and mould to your inner walls, as your inside warm, moist air condensed on the inner, unvented wall, not on the outer one, which is vented and as is designed to deal with condensation.  I still reckon you can't beat cavity walls with air in them, albeit a few wall ties as well.  Additionally it also wicked up moisture from below the DPC.

I don't know what material they use these days, but I would want a demo of it being blown outside first, to prove that it isn't homogenous and forms individual particles and doesn't wick, also I would want a guarantee that it doesn't bio degrade and homogenise over time, like foam in old seats, or better yet, take it for laboratory testing.  Although bare in mind, by the time you look up your guarantee the company will have ceased trading.

I don't have cavity walls, just a small layer of insulation on battens, but I know that if plasterboard nail or screw hits the wall through the batten, you have a cold bridge and will forever have a damp patch on your hands and a large metre patch of mould around it, even if the external walls are treated with breathable brick sealer.  It's condensation.

It's the same with people putting internal vents in the internal basement walls, it just makes the problem far worse.  The cavity has to be able to vent to outside somehow or other and in the absence of heat exchangers, I see cavity insulation as a bit of a primitive fix, which causes more problems than it cures.  I wouldn't do it personally.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • musicegbdf;445991" said:
    Just checked they were called the Mark Group.
    Local company to me, my best mate sprayed there vans in their current design.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3704
    I've heard of all sorts of damp problems associated with cavity wall insulation and although I have a detached house that costs a lot to heat I've purposely avoided CVI.