Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Albums that you are surprised you have never got around to hearing?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    edited December 2014
    dogload said:
    @JAYJO

Ummagumma is by Pink Floyd. You obviously haven't heard it then! :)

Nope, dont suppose i will now.
    :) unless someone recommends it.of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    JAYJO said:
    dogload said:
    @JAYJO

Ummagumma is by Pink Floyd. You obviously haven't heard it then! :)

Nope, dont suppose i will now.
    :) unless someone recommends it.of course.
    Ive edited the post you refer to cheers
    :)
  • I've never heard a complete AC/DC album (although all their songs sound the same so once you've heard one you've heard 'em all, right?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9817
    Albums I'm surprised I've never listened to...

Atom Heart Mother
    Live at The Regal
    Sneakin' Suspicion
    No Reason to Cry
    All Things Must Pass

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited December 2014
    Teetonetal said: I've never actually listend to any albums byLed ZEP, AC/DC, Thin Lizzie, The Beatles, The Rolling StonesYet I know pleanty of songs by all these guys. I think these days songs are so readily availble streamed, that there you get to hear the stuff anyway - even if you don't actually listen in Album order.

I think there's something about listening to the album as originally presented. Sometimes the track listing is influenced by cutting considerations (when they made the vinyl masters) but it is also influenced by the artist/band/producer's consideration of the effect of hearing
    this after that. They knew that most people would play at least one side all the way through and not skip about with the stylus so they thought about the track order. Natch, these considerations are less likely on post-vinyl albums.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27953
    I think there's something about listening to the album as originally presented. 
    This man is right.

A lot of thought and effort went into determining how to sequence an album.  On the good stuff anyway.  We almost have an obligation to the artists to listen to the stuff in the way that they intended it to be listened to rather than jumping randomly between tracks, playing the first 10 secs to see if we "like it" or not.

The only caveat I'd add is that sometimes an album is "of an era" and it doesn't work quite so well in a different era.  But the really good stuff transcends that - that's what makes it really good.

I don't think I've ever done a whole Metallica album, start to finish.  Some of their stuff is probably in the "really good" category?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9817
    Especially true of albums such as DSOTM, WYWH, and others of that period where, although there are separate songs, the album should be seen as one cohesive work. You wouldn't skip, say, the third movement of a Beethoven symphony because you don't like it as much as the rest, so why would you do it with DSOTM? (and no, I'm not trying to compare Floyd with Ludwig Van).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Until today I had never heard the whole of the Stone Roses first album - from what I heard from them at the time I was never that impressed, but for all the hype surrounding it/them I expected it to be amazing.

It's OK. 'I Am The Resurrection' (which I already knew) is quite good, but the rest of it is pretty bland and ordinary even by the standards of its time to be honest. I think they might belong in the 'most overrated' thread, in fact...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I still don't really know (or care) what djent is.

You know when you're really badly constiapted, then take enough immodium to constipate an elephant, then try to have a poo, that's as close as I can describe djent to music......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I've never listened to any Vai or Van Halen album, in fact I've hardly listened to any songs. I've also never listened to any Rolling Stones album either, despite liking a few of their songs.

I love Radiohead's first two albums but I've basically ignored everything after The Bends.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7829
    edited December 2014
    Teetonetal said:

I've never actually listend to any albums by

Led ZEP, AC/DC, Thin Lizzie, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones

Yet I know pleanty of songs by all these guys. I think these days songs are so readily availble streamed, that there you get to hear the stuff anyway - even if you don't actually listen in Album order.

I think there's something about listening to the album as originally presented. Sometimes the track listing is influenced by cutting considerations (when they made the vinyl masters) but it is also influenced by the artist/band/producer's consideration of the effect of hearing this after that. They knew that most people would play at least one side all the way through and not skip about with the stylus so they thought about the track order. Natch, these considerations are less likely on post-vinyl albums. Yeah, I'd agree with you there - gotta say it's why I like Alt J's records and also the new Ben Howard one, each Album is a journey. I wonder if Streaming will eventually see a decline in Albums... maybe from more Pop acts, but I hope not for other forms of Music.