pedal of choice with a loud clean(ish) Marshall

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15994
what do you use to kick it's ass (Marshall) into singing overdrive/sustain.....after the guitar of course:)
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    weehbo jtm. match made in marshall heaven

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15994
    googled that....looks NICE Bro  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1633
    I believe the sd1been the daddy for this type of thing for years?
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

SD-1

Bad Monkey

East River Drive

DS-1 (for a harder/harsher drive)

Digitech hothead (like the DS-1, but bass and treble controls)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15994
    what does the SD1 do for the sound?
    tae be or not tae be
  • SD-1
    Klone
    Zvex Super Duper
    Timmy
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    I use a tubescreamer.  Don't ask me which one, they all sound the same after they've had 100W of Marshall.

And... for when I want "more", I have a Wamper Pinnacle.  Which is great.  But it needs a noise gate to stop it being just a little red "add feedback" box.
  • What type of marshall and how much of a kick are we talking?

Sd1 is known to be a great match to a cooking jcm800.  On the other hand Clapton famously used a treble booster into his blues breaker.  Personally i don't/can't generally play with my jtm45 that loud.  I hate to say it, but in my case I always end up back at the rat.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    hootsmon said:
    what does the SD1 do for the sound?
    It adds a uniquely sensitive harmonic complexity, as well as boosting both the amount of gain and the volume at the same time, even when the amp is already heavily overdriven. I don't know how, but it does! You can generate false harmonics at will on anything - as a result it's the ultimate hair-metal combination, although it works for other styles too. All other Tube Screamer types work too, although they seem not to do the harmonic thing quite as well.

If the amp is cleaner, the DS-1, Rat etc are better, they sound closer to the natural tone of the amp so they blend with it better rather than pushing it into something different.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Either of the guvnor pedals are great too!
  • Wampler Paisley Drive is very versatile.
  • SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 721
    edited December 2014
    A bit late to the party in terms of bigging up the the SD-1, but it really is a great combination. 

I have a JCM900 Master Volume (run with a bit of crunch) - when I add the SD-1 it along with some bridge humbucker it becomes a huge "rawwk!" machine.

I now have quiet a collection on drive pedals, and by far the SD-1 is the nicest, followed closely by the DS-1 (for tighter "lead" sounds) - in terms of using with the JCM900 I mean :)

There's a tonne of versatility in adjusting the level, tone and drive of the SD1 (e.g. using it more of a "clean" boost, vs adding drive from the pedal and shaping more with the amp tone controls). A used SD-1 is peanuts, so it's worth starting there. I found any of the more boutiqey pedals (especially the more "amp in a box" pedals) tend to sounds a bit "meh" in front of the Marshall.
  • Doesn't the SD-1 suffer from a bit of leakage when bypassed?
    @not_the_dj ; Yes it does, I've yet to find an unmodded Boss dirt that doesn't have some leakage.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    @not_the_dj ; Yes it does, I've yet to find an unmodded Boss dirt that doesn't have some leakage.
    Poo, I like the idea of these false harmonics that @ICBM was on about, but only for a couple of songs in the set, and I need to be nice and clean for others.

What else (cheap) should I be looking at?
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 683
    When I had my DSL I used an mxr zakk Wylde and I really liked it
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7501
    edited December 2014
    not_the_dj;447442" said:
    mike_l said:

@not_the_dj  Yes it does, I've yet to find an unmodded Boss dirt that doesn't have some leakage.

Poo, I like the idea of these false harmonics that @ICBM was on about, but only for a couple of songs in the set, and I need to be nice and clean for others.

They don't all leak, and apparently it's only an issue with high output pickups. I've played a couple with no leak, and some with quite a bit - enough that I wouldn't want to own it.

@icbm can explain why, but if you put a buffered signal in front, it apparently fixes it. So a buffered wah or something would stop the leakage.
  • DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp for me

• @icbm can explain why, but if you put a buffered signal in front, it apparently fixes it. So a buffered wah or something would stop the leakage.
    I'll have a Boss TU-3, an MXR Univibe and a Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser before it.
    not_the_dj;447442" said:
    mike_l said:

@not_the_dj  Yes it does, I've yet to find an unmodded Boss dirt that doesn't have some leakage.

They don't all leak, and apparently it's only an issue with high output pickups. I've played a couple with no leak, and some with quite a bit - enough that I wouldn't want to own it.

@icbm can explain why, but if you put a buffered signal in front, it apparently fixes it. So a buffered wah or something would stop the leakage.

Stick a low-set noise-gate after it, and it clears up.........

I've had the leakage from my Strat's single coils as much as from high-output 'buckers..........(and I've had/tried most Boss dirts at some point.......)