pedal of choice with a loud clean(ish) Marshall

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• No room for a noise gate, and I'd rather not have to rely on one anyway. Having a pedal to fix an issue with another pedal never seems that good a solution to me.

(sorry to the Op for the thread hijack).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I like a gate for high-gain staccato riffing, like Pantera...

For a noise reduction, the gate in the FX loop works well....

If you can deal with (IE don't need crystal clear cleans) the leakage, then Boss are fantastic.

In fact the SD-1 is one of my favourite grab'n'go pedals. Works well in 90% of musical situations. If you have a slightly crunchy amp to start with, then you probably won't notice the slight leakage.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2014
    I suppose they're cheap enough to take a punt, might give one a try. I also find Boss pedals really handy on my board (Diago) as the jacks are just at the right height to get over the lip, few other makes do that so I end with with little bits of ply under the first/last pedals.

*edit*....incoming NPD.
    ohh,ohh whayougettin?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• If you have a buffered tuner, you won't notice it apparently :)

@mike_l that's interesting. I definitely have played one, which I sold to a friend, that had no leak at all. I've also heard one that was leaky enough that if the amp was clean, it was really quite noticeable. I can't remember what guitar it was, but I'd imagine a low output pickup would have the same result.

Maybe it's a variable quality thing? I don't know. Apparently, the Keeley mods stop the leaking. And the buffer, which is neat.

Or there is the mxr zakk Wylde - an sd-1 in bullseye clothing.

The sd-1 is one of the best pedals around, nothing works better into a dirty Marshall. Except maybe a ds-1 for that cutting, liquid lead tone. No idea why they're both often slated online!
  • mike_l said:
    ohh,ohh whayougettin?
    SD-1 (just don't tell Mrs NTD ;-) )

Ah, ok cool, You've been learned well again.

If Mrs NTDJ asks you can tell her it's a loaner from me.

Unless she's reading this, in which case, Bad NTDJ..........

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    mike_l said:
    @not_the_dj ; Yes it does, I've yet to find an unmodded Boss dirt that doesn't have some leakage.
    Poo, I like the idea of these false harmonics that @ICBM was on about, but only for a couple of songs in the set, and I need to be nice and clean for others.

What else (cheap) should I be looking at?
    Put a TU-2/3 or any other buffered pedal you already use in front of the SD-1 and the problem goes away.

For what it's worth the DF-2 does not leak in bypass, and most DS-1s don't seem to. SD-1s vary as well, but all seem to to some extent. I'd be very surprised if any of the newest ones do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM does the TU-3 need to be directly before it, or can I have other pedals inbetween? 

I'll also have an MXR Univibe and Whirlwind Orange Box, both of which I like before dirt

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15994
    how does the SD1 compare with the yankee fav, the Timmmy,when used in this manner?
    tae be or not tae be
    mike_l said:
    @not_the_dj ; Yes it does, I've yet to find an unmodded Boss dirt that doesn't have some leakage.

leakage?

tone suck?

tae be or not tae be

Nope, they leak a bit of dirt when bypassed.

I've not noticed any tone (treble) suck with any Boss pedal.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    @hootsmon

Mate, if you can find one, and there will be a few at fire sale prices after Xmas, the Cornish CC1 is the best low gainer of this ilk I've ever heard by a country mile.

The other obvious one is a KTR or Archer Drive.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I want @hootsmon to take a selfie at the exact moment he googles the price of the CC1.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014

FFS!

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    does the Timmy do this magical SD1 job with a cookin' but cleanish marshall
    tae be or not tae be
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2371
    mike_l said:
    Poo, I like the idea of these false harmonics that @ICBM was on about, but only for a couple of songs in the set, and I need to be nice and clean for others.

What else (cheap) should I be looking at?
    Daphon E20OD is an sd1 clone and sounds very close (other than the Boss having a little more level boost on tap, I didn't notice much if any difference), and doesn't seem to have the bypass bleed. It's often rebranded under other brand names (some of which in this link, under "Related": http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/daphon/e20/e20od )

On the other hand if you really want the Boss version, another buffer (or buffered pedal) in front of it cures the leakage. (Yeah ok so TPD and ICBM already pointed that out, I wrote that before I read further in the thread :)) )
    ICBM said:
    For what it's worth the DF-2 does not leak in bypass, and most DS-1s don't seem to. SD-1s vary as well, but all seem to to some extent. I'd be very surprised if any of the newest ones do.
    I got one recently and I thought it had some bypass bleed. However, I wasn't certain (I'm not taking my board apart again to check, it's pretty boring doing all these tests :)) and I currently have a buffer in front of it), plus just because I bought it new doesn't mean the shop didn't have it for a while...
    hootsmon said:
    how does the SD1 compare with the yankee fav, the Timmmy,when used in this manner?
    Timmy (at least based on my danelectro clone) is a lot more transparent (flatter EQ in other words), whereas the SD1 is a lot more in the tubescreamer camp- bass cut, mid boost, more compression.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    @ICBM does the TU-3 need to be directly before it, or can I have other pedals inbetween? 

I'll also have an MXR Univibe and Whirlwind Orange Box, both of which I like before dirt
    It depends how good the output drivers are in those pedals, but it should be OK - when they're off, the SD-1 will see the output of the TU-3, and when they're on it will see the other pedals. Or you may have to re-arrange your board so the tuner is after them, in which case you'll need to remember to turn them off when tuning!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    Guys, what do you mean by 'leakage'?
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Voxman said:
    Guys, what do you mean by 'leakage'?

Even when a pedal is off you can hear a little bit of the effect.