Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Derailed (was: Elite: Dangerous)

What's Hot
NomadNomad Frets: 549
edited December 2014 in Off Topic

Anybody playing? General impressions so far?

I'm still playing Eve Online at the moment, but considering switching. I had a look over the web site, and was left with the impression that it's generally still single player, but with lots of people all playing at the same time. I didn't see anything about guilds / gangs or whatever - is there a way to team up and do things like get into fights and share loot?

Is it possible to do things like mining and salvage? Manufacturing goods for sale?

How is performance in general? Does the client run okay, and is the networked aspect fine?

How big is the download?

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    Nope. I left home in my twenties, have always had a girlfriend since my teens and I play sport! Therefore I don't play computers.

:P

The idea of grown men playing computer games I find puzzling at best and disturbing at worst.

Still whatever floats your boat I guess.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Iamnobody said:
    The idea of grown men playing computer games I find puzzling at best and disturbing at worst.
    Maybe you should educate yourself:
    http://www.gamesradar.com/are-video-games-good-for-your-brain-science-says-yes/

Or continue to be an ignorant fool. I don't care which. I'm off to play me some computer games!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16081
    edited December 2014
    your post title sounds like a brand of Durex with little holes in
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody;448167" said:
    Nope. I left home in my twenties, have always had a girlfriend since my teens and I play sport! Therefore I don't play computers.

I don't understand why people feel the need to take a shit on things they don't understand.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
    heh he have a xmas cracker
    tae be or not tae be
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    edited December 2014
    hootsmon;448174" said:
    Are they actually available in Scotland?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_fx;448172" said:
    Iamnobody said:

Maybe you should educate yourself:

http://www.gamesradar.com/are-video-games-good-for-your-brain-science-says-yes/

Or continue to be an ignorant fool. I don't care which. I'm off to play me some computer games!
    Each to there own - my wife and no doubt plenty of others think it's weird I frequent a guitar forum with such regularity.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. I wouldn't have even opened the post if I knew what it was about beforehand let alone posted in it.

As for me being an ignorant fool - you are entitled to your opinion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I loved Elite on the BBC Micro!
    monquixote;448176" said:
    [quote="Iamnobody;448167"]Nope. I left home in my twenties, have always had a girlfriend since my teens and I play sport! Therefore I don't play computers.

I don't understand why people feel the need to take a shit on things they don't understand. [/quote]

Do you honestly believe that I think gamers are all single, live at home and can't throw a ball?

I thought the use of the exclamation and smiley might have indicated a bit of humour?

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Iamnobody said:
    As for me being an ignorant fool - you are entitled to your opinion.

No mate... you've quite clearly demonstrated it here. I don't care if you think you were making a tongue in cheek comment. As far as I'm concerned, you made a tongue in arse comment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    Iamnobody said:
    Do you honestly believe that I think gamers are all single, live at home and can't throw a ball?
    I thought the use of the exclamation and smiley might have indicated a bit of humour?
    No, and I don't know what your actual intentions were, but your post read like a dig intended to make people who enjoy computer games feel inadequate. 

It didn't seem especially humourous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited December 2014
    I agree with Stevebrum.  Here Here.  I'd rather look back at my life, on my deathbed and think about all the glorious times I had making things, fixing things, creating things and being creative and fruitlessly masturbating than think of all the levels I've played on someone else's platform.  I see it as a bad addiction, kind of like a 21st century version of a crossword book.  There are so many better things to do in life than kill time.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    The games industry is far bigger than even the film industry now. 

Average age of gamers is now in the 30s.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My wife is well horny for my computer game skills. 

I can never find the time now to get into a long story based game so I end up playing (when I can) dip in and dip out, more arcade types games.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Sambostar said:
    I agree with Stevebrum.  Here Here.  I'd rather look back at my life, on my deathbed and think about all the glorious times I had making things, fixing things, creating things and being creative and fruitlessly masturbating than think of all the levels I've played on someone else's platform.  I see it as a bad addiction, kind of like a 21st century version of a crossword book.  There are so many better things to do in life than kill time.
    That's a shame. See now if ever I imagined a doctor recommending GTA as a form of therapy to anyone....
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Sambostar said:
     I see it as a bad addiction, kind of like a 21st century version of a crossword book.  There are so many better things to do in life than kill time.
    See, that's where you're missing the point - and it's because you're still stuck in the 20th century definition of gaming. Nowadays, it's very much less of a sit-on-your-own activity and more of a social endeavour. I've been watching my daughter and her friends and how they've incorporated modern connected gaming into their social lives - it's really quite eye-opening.

As for Elite: Dangerous...I was in on the beta, but I didn't really have enough time to get properly into it. What I did see was pretty astounding, but limited (because of the nature of a beta test).

For the first time in 10 years, I have nearly three weeks off coming soon - given that the wife's working her normal shift patterns, I strongly suspect I'm going to be investing some significant time in Elite.

Definitely looking forward to it.
    <space for hire>
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    Sambostar said:
    By your definition Chess or Poker is just killing time too.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

hootsmon;448174" said:
    Are they actually available in Scotland?
    whaddya think we cook the haggis in, a sheep's stomach?
    tae be or not tae be
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    I've always wondered about that sheep's stomach thing, I mean how to you get them to stand over the fire long enough to cook the haggis?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

edited December 2014
    VimFuego said:
    I've always wondered about that sheep's stomach thing, I mean how to you get them to stand over the fire long enough to cook the haggis?

we slip 'em a coupla whiskys

Hmm...*scratches baws* wots the plural of whisky.........?

wee tam the rubberman......;      "pished....hic"

tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom