Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Women Infantry?

What's Hot

Comments

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 699
    I was just pondering why there are no women posting on this board.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    if the women in question are upto it physically, to the same ability as the men, then what is the issue?

Spent time in Israel this year, and everyone, both sexes does national service at 18. You are then called up (men) for amontha year til ou are 49, women until they have kids (which is a big pressure in Jewish families).

When you travel about, you see  lot of military, and there's a good few heavily guarded checkpoints on motorways (funny that) - it was weird seeing young women, tooled up to the hilt, but also, strangely stimulating.,,,,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Strange name the old Infantry, never once seen any infants prosecuting our wars for us.

As for women in it why not? Cannon fodder should be equal an opportunities vocation.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522

If they want it and they can pass the tests then fair enough, equality and all that.

I suspect this is a non-issue however. I don't see many feminist rants bemoaning the lack of opportunities for women to get themselves blown up. I can't imagine there'll be a sudden rush of ladies enlisting, but we'll see I guess

All practice and no theory
  • Sambostar said:

A six month old baby is 18kg.  

What species??

• daveyh said:
    There are. There just aren't very many of them, because a) there aren't many female guitarists, and b) of the female guitarists out there, very few have decided that nerding out over gear is at least as important as using it.
    <space for hire>
  • daveyh said:
    There are. There just aren't very many of them, because a) there aren't many female guitarists, and b) of the female guitarists out there, very few have decided that nerding out over gear is at least as important as using it.

In addition,

Why do we need to know the gender of a poster anyway?  Is there a need or an advantage to a woman declaring herself?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    ^ +1    not sure why it would make any difference.

The same with the infantry, if someone wants to join then good luck to them regardless of gender or anything.  If someone can do the job then let them.

We don't see many comments in the media saying there should be more women coal miners - I assume there are some but I don't see the big deal either way.  I'm just glad to see someone in employment.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I am a women....with hairy armpits....and a beard.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Sambostar said:
    I am a women....with hairy armpits....and a beard.
    Just my type that is.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • John_P said:
    We don't see many comments in the media saying there should be more women coal miners
    I think that's to do with it being seen as a shitty job.  Similarly I don't see people complaining that virtually every refuse collector or road sweeper is a man.  There seems to be a real lack of desire to even out the numbers there.  In fact my wife use to work for the jobs centre and despite ALL clients legally having to be seen as looking for employment and applying for available positions, there were plenty of positions that were only pushed onto male clients (under threat of removal benefit) - believe it or not folks they weren't cosy office jobs.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Perhaps the Army considers that things have become easier for infantry troops these days? Maybe they don't have to do as much physical stuff with the technology and transport that's available? Dunno.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15905
    oddly enuff, think I'd rather have a job as a refuse collector or road sweeper than work in an office.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

Then you could be Bin Fuego.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    It's beyond me why anyone would want to do it to be honest-then again some people might question why I'd want to sit in an office all day (I don't want to but the bills say I must!).

I know lads that would be terrible at it-no physical stamina or strength, and I know women who would be well suited to it....

That's the issue here for me-we're all different and in 2014/15 gender shouldn't be a bar to any career-the only thing that should stop you is your inability to do it....If they're good enough to do it then what's the issue?

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    quite lloyd, and I think we are slowly getting there too.

I look at the difference in outlook and attitude to equality and diversity in my kids' generation, compared to mine, and its encouraging. So many things that we as kids would have thought worthy of piss taking and being weird, they simply accept as no big deal. It will take a while, but I reckon we'll get there.

If you think how far we've come with homosexuality in recent years - illegal in 1967, lesbians didn't actually get recongnised as something that could exist, women not being allowed in pubs, just a couple of examples. We are getting there.

I struggled with lesbian recognition for years: I had so many rejections, and face-slaps. I'm much more aware these days though, and can usually spot them a mile off.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

=D>
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 699
    And of those female guitarists who see this board, I wonder how many see it, see threads like this and say 'nah'?
    daveyh said:

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited December 2014
    We will never know. However I think needing to know a poster is a woman is problematic in the first place. We all have equal right to anonymity here - nobody has to use their real name if they don't want to, nor do they have to openly declare anything personal such as gender, sexuality, religious beliefs etc. Why do we want women to not have that right? Making them declare their gender is the only way we can know. The only 2 reasons I can think of are 1. To treat them differently (otherwise it doesn't matter if we think they're a man or a woman) and 2. To satisfy some arbitrary quota that doesn't exist or reflect the 'demographic'.

As an analogy - I haven't seen any posts about how many Muslims, Christians or Jews are on the board when we discuss religion or the politics of the Middle East. So why are women a different category?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom