Playstation 4

What's Hot
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• *dons pointy sceptical hat*

I don't know where this screenshot came from, but even the PS3 looked better than that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I just thought it was funny. Probably not real.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    In other news: Lamborghini Murcielago turns out to be faster than Kia Rio...
    I do sometimes wonder why people expect consoles to outperform or even equal high spec gaming PC's.
    "My £350 console isn't as powerful as this £1000 PC? Who would have thought it?"
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I could believe it, apart from the pointy hat... but who cares I love console gaming, I wish I didn't as PC gaming is way cheaper but I just cannot get into it.. my nephew on the other hand is well into his PC gaming his rig is impressive and as much as I am not into all this 4K stuff seeing his system running on a 40" 4K screen is jaw dropping.. what I don't get is the need to drop £300 on a keyboard and mouse but each to there own..

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8154
    Games are rarely made that will demonstrate the true power of a console.  Most games, such as the one you have highlighted, are made using a selection of middleware. This means that one game is developed, and the middleware spits out three or more versions of that game -  PC, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and Xbox1 (and even 3DS, Vita etc etc).   This means that most multiformat software is coded to the lowest possible denominator.  So, in truth, you're not going to see the best of a system from games that are available across multiple systems.

The true test of quality/capability comes from single platform games, such a Naughty Dogs 'The Last of Us' / 'Uncharted' (PS3/PS4 only) vs Halo (Xbox only).  Comparing these different games will give you a better idea of what a new platform can really do.

Marlin 
  • strumjoughlamps;451115" said:
    what I don't get is the need to drop £300 on a keyboard and mouse but each to there own..

Far better to spend it on a few bits of wood and twangy metal wire
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    strumjoughlamps;451115" said:
    what I don't get is the need to drop £300 on a keyboard and mouse but each to there own..

Far better to spend it on a few bits of wood and twangy metal wire
    Obv.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    TheMarlin said:
    Games are rarely made that will demonstrate the true power of a console.  Most games, such as the one you have highlighted, are made using a selection of middleware. This means that one game is developed, and the middleware spits out three or more versions of that game -  PC, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and Xbox1 (and even 3DS, Vita etc etc).   This means that most multiformat software is coded to the lowest possible denominator.  So, in truth, you're not going to see the best of a system from games that are available across multiple systems.

The true test of quality/capability comes from single platform games, such a Naughty Dogs 'The Last of Us' / 'Uncharted' (PS3/PS4 only) vs Halo (Xbox only).  Comparing these different games will give you a better idea of what a new platform can really do.

Marlin 
    TBH with this generation (PS4, XBone) we're all the same x86 DirectX11 so there's not much difference anymore.
    Admittedly we get to prod things right at the "metal" but the pipelines are very, very similar on all platforms now.
    Also, middleware's for amateurs :)

Gratuitous Driveclub plug:-
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_Munkee said:

errrr, and the award for biggest game fail of 2014 goes to......

what they should have done is put the game back 10 or so months to make it more polished for release...oh no they did didn't they.....

I will try the PS+ version when they finally make it available but until then, FH2 all the way.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12059
    Is the PC the same spec as the Ps4?

Is the PC using hardware costing the same as a PS4? Aka £350 with controller and OS included?

Is the PC built a year ago?

If any of the answers above is NO then get the hell out.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Is the PC the same spec as the Ps4?

Is the PC using hardware costing the same as a PS4? Aka £350 with controller and OS included?

ooo you have set that right up for the PC gamers to hit your post out of the park when they ask you how much you have to pay for a game.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    Is the PC the same spec as the Ps4?

ooo you have set that right up for the PC gamers to hit your post out of the park when they ask you how much you have to pay for a game.

I've not paid more than £35 for a console game in over a decade. GTA5 launch day for PS4 I paid £33. Which brings me to the question, are PC users playing GTA5 over christmas?
    edited December 2014
    My stance in this debate is actually I think this debate is stupid. The PC is engineer to do a million things, a console is an appliance and home entertainment. I have a rather powerful Mac, i7, SSD, 32G ram yada yada yada. But I don't like sitting in front of it playing in res that quadruple HD res, I rather sit on the sofa, feet up with my home cinema sound system. I also don't care for having to pay attention to drivers update and all that. Granted consoles do have update but is no more than press X to update and that's it. It's an appliance, it looks after itself with little to no maintenance from me.

So I find this debate pointless, it's not on the same playing field and the only thing PC users care about is graphic.  I like games.  I don't really care for the hardware, so much so I have the Mac above, a Ps4 and a Xbox One.  Will even get a Wii in 2015 for Zelda too.

Games, you are playing games, not willy waving about pixels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FX_Munkee said:

errrr, and the award for biggest game fail of 2014 goes to......

what they should have done is put the game back 10 or so months to make it more polished for release...oh no they did didn't they.....

I will try the PS+ version when they finally make it available but until then, FH2 all the way.
    Ouch.
    The truth is we could have released at PS4 launch but the game was just a shell, the UI was appalling and we'd had to cut so many features to get it in on time for the launch we weren't happy at all.
    When we knew we weren't going out at launch we scrapped the UI completely and rewrote it (did it old school). and the used the extra time (they gave us more than we wanted) to polish everything else.
    Then we released and the servers went tits up :(

But we've been busy and we currently have all the network side sorted. Plus we've released the add-ons that we were always planning to do (weather, more cars, tracks etc.). There will be more down the line. It was always planned to be a "service" model.
    Not sure when the PS+ version will come out AFAIK there's no firm date yet.
    Anyway, as they say, "Apologies for the delay" and all that ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Wow. That.... escalated.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_Munkee said:
    TheMarlin said:

Marlin 
    TBH with this generation (PS4, XBone) we're all the same x86 DirectX11 so there's not much difference anymore.
    Admittedly we get to prod things right at the "metal" but the pipelines are very, very similar on all platforms now.
    Also, middleware's for amateurs :)

I get narked by the modern trend of games that release before they're ready then patch and patch and patch and patch etc etc, but that looks really really pretty. Which bit is yours?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Nah, not really. It's just that we've been officially told not too say anything to anybody till about a week ago.
    And I needed to blurt :)
    Anyway, all is good, looks like we've sold through 1 million before Christmas :)
    That Driveclub gif looks fucking lush.
    edited December 2014
    <Snip/>
    I get narked by the modern trend of games that release before they're ready then patch and patch and patch and patch etc etc, but that looks really really pretty. Which bit is yours?
    You see that's the thing, we designed the game as a service model, so we're constantly adding to it, cars, tracks, user feedback suggestions etc. But everybody sees it as "well it should have been finished before it was sold". It gets quite irritating on this side of the fence :)
    My bit, is.... everything... sort of ;)  Except network :) Tools, tech, pipeline, low level (as in near the metal) stuff.

Oh and @strumjoughlamps no hard feelings mate, in case you were feeling bad about it :), don't. We definitely deserved the criticism we got at launch. Out network testing wasn't good enough.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_Munkee said:
    <Snip/>
    You see that's the thing, we designed the game as a service model, so we're constantly adding to it, cars, tracks, user feedback suggestions etc. But everybody sees it as "well it should have been finished before it was sold". It gets quite irritating on this side of the fence :)
    My bit, is.... everything... sort of ;)  Except network :) Tools, tech, pipeline, low level (as in near the metal) stuff.

Oh and @strumjoughlamps no hard feelings mate, in case you were feeling bad about it :), don't. We definitely deserved the criticism we got at launch. Out network testing wasn't good enough.
    I can understand that, I just don't like that model. I get that the industry is trying to keep everything monetised for a year or 2 after launch, trying to follow the COD model, but that doesn't appeal to me at all. I prefer single player stuff where I can play one game solidly for a month and then put it down, and I'll return to it a year or 2 later and play again. 

And I find with anything online everyone else is so much better than me I just don't have time to put in to get up the learning curve to reach a point where it's fun!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires