Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Man arrested for Glasgow crash tweet

What's Hot
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-30585301 I'm not posting a link to the tweet in question here but I have read and seen much, much worse including some comments made on this very forum.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    edited December 2014
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    I am getting more and more concerned at the recent attempts to make being offensive an actual criminal offence.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited December 2014
    He made a stupid joke, which he probably got off another website, and then people start sharing his address encouraging vigilantism? That's not very smart IMO. 

Maybe I'm desensitised to people dying on my own doorstep from having lived in N.I all my life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited December 2014
    I read somewhere else that some of the threats against the guy are also being treated as malicious communications.   It never ends.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
  • Being an arsehole shouldn't be illegal.

Sharing the guys address is far worse in my opinion. Glad you took it down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Twitter is a load of bollocks, arrest the founders of it! :-)
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    Being an arsehole shouldn't be illegal.

Good thing it isn't really. I'd be a goner.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    I am getting more and more concerned at the recent attempts to make being offensive an actual criminal offence.
    Not that I'd ever tweet something like that (whatever it is - haven't seen it), but it is a bit too Big Brother for my liking.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • That's the way the UK is and has been for a while now, IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Having said that it shouldn't be illegal to be an arsehole, you really do have to wonder about some folk. How do these morons turn out quite so stupid and with quite so little sense of decency?
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Me too - not least because it's one of the few things I'm good at. 

You cluster of c*nts. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    What if hundreds of people tweeted it in solidarity, would they arrest them all?
    My V key is broken
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    edited December 2014
    'Sick' text messages used to do the rounds seemingly within seconds of a news story breaking. The thing was that who they went to (initially) was under the sender's control.

Social media - and Twitter in particular does not allow the writer to select his or her audience. For this reason, I think you have to be very careful about what you put out there.
  • This guy is obviously a bit of a dick, but he has committed no crime as far as I'm concerned.

Fairly terrifying that a tweet can get you arrested. It's worse than the robin hood airport thing - at least that *could* have been construed as a threat (if only by an idiot). I won't be coming back to the UK at this rate...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited December 2014
    A clear case for me of a breach of Rule 1. But to arrest him? Fuck me, haven't the police got anything better to do than to waste valuable resources reacting to outrage? Their priorities are wrong, they should be out catching real crims like burglars. It's pathetic, they give you all this "lack of resources" shit, and then they go and waste them like this.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15896
    what chilli said, with police numbers being cut, I can think of things I'd rather they should be doing (think they need to remember, we have given them their powers, they haven't taken them, they're our police, we're not their subjects). However, from the police's POV it's an easy arrest, easy investigation, no SOC, no expensive processing and if it's a conviction (and god I hope it doesn't go to trial) it's an easy tick in the "win" column, so some pen pusher somewhere can say they are bringing down crime.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    I've seen the Tweet.

Fuck me, if you can get arrested for that, this country is in big trouble.  Yet Kay Burley, or whoever it was gets away scot free after asking a witness to the incident for more details about the pram that got hit.

Truly unbelievable.