So, Klones... Anyone had any experience of this one?

What's Hot

Comments

• TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    edited December 2014
    Casting my critical eye upon it, I notice these things:

Footswitch protruding to far from enclosure making it susceptible to lateral forces, ferrules on jacks do not fit correctly-quite possibly board mount jacks not correctly alligned on the pcb to fit the enclosure. Power jack board mount, unfinished enclosure with sticker on top.

Which means this:

'These pedals have been hand built in England by highly experienced professional boutique pedal builders'

is probably bullshit

Might sound great but I would say it ain't put together as well as most pedals these days.

Edit: I'm 90% sure it's a transplant from another klone or a buy the board type affair and sling it in an enclosure of your choice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EHX soulfood

same thing but cheaper
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    EHX soulfood

same thing but cheaper
    Yep, a great intro into the world of Klones
  • There's also the FretKing one if you didn't fancy EHX. The Klassic Drive IIRC. I thought someone on here was selling a Fredrics one? You could buy direct from Fredrics but they aren't as cheap as that Klone in the link. You could try Genevieve FX for well built clones ( although no Klones currently on their eBay page) or the makers on here.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12026
    I'd get the Archer, wait until the next sale in Prymaxe, they are out of stock at the moment.  You should be able to get it for about £100.  Well built, top jacks and even the die-hard original Klon fanatics can't tell the difference. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Do you not incur all kinds of customs duty and handling charges from Prymaxe or any other USA dealer?
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 665
    edited December 2014

As  I said in another recent 'Klon' thread. I bought one of these new through their ebay auctions for £80. How it compares to the original I have no idea but it's a fine pedal nonetheless. http://www.booinstruments.com/guitar-effects/pedals/klon-centaur-kc-boostoverdrive/

Sassafras said:
    Do you not incur all kinds of customs duty and handling charges from Prymaxe or any other USA dealer?

Pick cheapest shipping option, 4 times so far, all went under the radar!
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    Sassafras said:

I'll let you know, I placed my first order with prymaxe yesterday
    Keep an eye on the tracking and you can tell if you are lucky or not soon as it lands.

compare to

• EHX soulfood

same thing but cheaper
    Agreed, but it's SMC.  Practical repairability is an issue for me.
    Thanks for the Prymaxe link.  Safe to say it's fairly comprehensive on pedals.  The ARC Effects clone does impress me after the Burgs demo so that might be one to follow more closely.
  • CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    Update:  The seller has sent me a picture of the circuit.  It's very SMC.

But - he has also offered me a guarantee for the lifetime of the pedal while in my ownership.

What do you think?

Pic here:

If it's got a lifetime guarantee you have nothing to lose if it goes wrong, as long as the company is still around to honor it.

Board mount jacks and switches are more likely to go south than wired but for the money it doesn't really matter. The KTR has board mount jacks and that costs 250 upwards but that's a blatant rip off in my eyes.

If it was me I'd ask JuanSolo to build me one for a few quid extra and know I'd got something a bit special.

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 462
    edited January 2015
    RaymondLin;459297" said:
    Sassafras said:

@RaymondLin how much do you tend to spend and how long does it usually take??
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    TheCount said:
    If it's got a lifetime guarantee you have nothing to lose if it goes wrong, as long as the company is still around to honor it.

Board mount jacks and switches are more likely to go south than wired but for the money it doesn't really matter. The KTR has board mount jacks and that costs 250 upwards but that's a blatant rip off in my eyes.

If it was me I'd ask JuanSolo to build me one for a few quid extra and know I'd got something a bit special.

I don't like responding to these threads as it looks self serving... Anyhow, I've been invoked so I will ;)

Board mount stomps/jacks are a bad idea when it comes to reliability. The fact its SMT wouldn't bother me. Commercially, what isn't these days? The likelihood is that the boards are made in China and populated there by machine (too neat and to much of a PITA to do SMT by hand commercially), and when it comes to the UK it's in the form of the pic and assembled here. Again, that's how most things work now.

You can repair SMT pedals... Well I can't because I can't see the little bastards, but people with decent eyesight and a steady hand can certainly fix them and he'll stand by his product while you own it. So why not go for it. I can tell you now that it's cheap enough that after fees he'll be making very little per unit on those. Shame as it creates unrealistic expectations when it comes to pedal prices that people not prepared to make 'em cheap and fast can't compete with.
    edited January 2015
    MrSwanson said:
    RaymondLin;459297" said:
    Sassafras said:

@RaymondLin how much do you tend to spend and how long does it usually take??
    I tend to get one pedal at a time, around $200.  Usually take around 10 days.
  • danodano Frets: 1610
    edited January 2015

juansolo said:
    TheCount said:

I don't like responding to these threads as it looks self serving... Anyhow, I've been invoked so I will ;)

Board mount stomps/jacks are a bad idea when it comes to reliability. The fact its SMT wouldn't bother me. Commercially, what isn't these days? The likelihood is that the boards are made in China and populated there by machine (too neat and to much of a PITA to do SMT by hand commercially), and when it comes to the UK it's in the form of the pic and assembled here. Again, that's how most things work now.

@juansolo - it's never self serving, your depth of knowledge is well known and appreciate don this board.

Just to echo Senior Juan points above, the picture shows he isn't bothering to use a washer between the nut on the switch and the enclosure, this is bad practice. When you click the switch a significant amount of force goes into the switch body and PCB.  With a washer under the nut a lot of the force is (correctly) dissipated into the enclosure rather than the switch body  board. The lack of washer will affect the reliability and lifetime of the switch.

Plus in the ebay listing the nuts aren't screwed in flush to the enclosure, so something is on the piss. With multiple jack plug insertions / removals this isn't ideal.

PCB layout looks OK, but I'd question the layout around the charge pump, I can't see the caps around the charge pump, these are used for noise filtering (and charge pumps by their nature generate >10kHz noise)  which are needed for noise

For them to be able to produce this Klone for £60 shipped to your door they are either producing it very cheaply (not necessarily a bad thing if the quality is good) or content with making a fairly low net profit.

Dano said
    For them to be able to produce this Klone for £60 shipped to your door they are either producing it very cheaply (not necessarily a bad thing if the quality is good) or content with making a fairly low net profit.

They can't be paying any more than about 25 quid for a pedal in parts. A bit in fees and post and they might be making 20-25 a go, something like that is easy to knock out in 20-30 mins if you batch build so not too bad.

Cacofonix - It's been critiqued by us nasty bastards on here, I think like most things, you get what you pay for to a degree but for 60 quid it's worth taking the chance i suppose, maybe go a bit more and get a soul food, probably be closer to the real thing but ehx aren't known for build quality. Next level up is hand made or hyped silly like the archer (still board mount jacks but £150) then KTR
    (still board mount jacks but £300) and finally the real thing

To be honest other than quality of build they all sound within a gnats whisker of each other so I'd just go with the one you like the look of most

• Isn't the ktr surface mounted components too?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9738
    juansolo said:
    You can repair SMT pedals... Well I can't because I can't see the little bastards, but people with decent eyesight and a steady hand can certainly fix them and he'll stand by his product while you own it. 
    I doubt he'll attempt to fix one, he'd just throw away the defective board and put a new one in the enclosure. 

Oh hang on, he's a professional boutique pedal builder, of course he'd fix it <rolls eyes>

If you're capable of soldering two wires together I'd get a FuzzDog kit and be £15  and a sense of satisfaction richer.