Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much does visual appeal affect your buying of pedals and amps?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31244
I have to admit, I hate garish coloured gear. I like my communist board, I like classical amps and heads and I like things that look well made.

As an example, although it's churlish to criticise Marshall, I've always found all of the champagne gold ali and the knobs look really cheap which in turn makes me think it's cheaply made.

So I admit, it is a consideration for me.

How about you?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

one of the biggest considerations is visual appeal for me.

when it comes to pedals, no other brand gets me more excited visually than EQD...its just my luck that they make things that i like the sound of too and they arent stupid expensive.

Amps...i dont have particular brands, but i like a classic uncluttered look to an amp. I dont like the look of high gain multi channel amps...too many knobs and too messy...as far as colours go...im pretty much open to most, but i would say blacks, whites and oranges are preferred...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Not a bit.

I will concede I loved the way my JTM 45's looked, and the Bluesbreaker combo's, but I just couldn't get out of them what I needed. So, no. I need them to deliver. I tend not to buy 'budget' anyway (you all know what I mean) so decent gear that gives the Yes Button regardless of looks. Or indeed, label.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31244
    samzadgan said:

when it comes to pedals, no other brand gets me more excited visually than EQD...its just my luck that they make things that i like the sound of too and they arent stupid expensive.

What, you mean better looking than this?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fairfield Circuitrys aesthetic is pretty great for their pedals. EQD too. Old Blood Noise Endeavours. Mr. Black. I think subconsciously it does make a difference. Maybe not just the pedal itself, but the way the brand pitches itself certainly influences.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Don't care in the slightest. Same with guitars. Balance and sound come first. The look doesn't even make the list.

I would happily turn up to a jazz night with a Razorback if it met the other criteria.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited December 2014
    I've always wanted a Delay Llama because it has a depiction of a Llama on it.  

Alpaca my bags...
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I'm shallow and fully admit it. Part of the reason I never tried the original THR was that it only came in hearing aid beige.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not bothered... I have 2 pedals (soon to be 3) with nothing on them on my board. (thorpy & handsomerik).
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1960

I drove all the way to Coda today to audition Bad Cat amps. The amp room was busy, so unfortunately I didn't get to try them. However, I asked if the Bat Cat Logo still lights up on the 2014 models and once it was confirmed they do, I didn't need to try them....nobody is going to make an amp which lights up that doesn't sound good are they?

From now on, I'm never buying an amp that doesn't light up. Redplate, Soldano, Peavey, Fender, Carr, Shur, Dr Z, Marshall, Cornell are all blacklisted until they get with the now and start backlighting some logos.

No shit, if Nicki Minaj could so see how good my amp looks right now, she'd have her surgeon make her ass backlit.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    I admire nice looking pedals and amps but it's absolutley near the bottom of my list of priorities. I could happily put up with a muntin amp if it sounded like the gods. Guitars I need to admire the look of to fall in love with them, but I have pretty simple tastes here.

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    Lodious said:

I drove all the way to Coda today to audition Bad Cat amps. The amp room was busy, so unfortunately I didn't get to try them. However, I asked if the Bat Cat Logo still lights up on the 2014 models and once it was confirmed they do, I didn't need to try them....nobody is going to make an amp which lights up that doesn't sound good are they?

From now on, I'm never buying an amp that doesn't light up. Redplate, Soldano, Peavey, Fender, Carr, Shur, Dr Z, Marshall, Cornell are all blacklisted until they get with the now and start backlighting some logos.

No shit, if Nicki Minaj could so see how good my amp looks right now, she'd have her surgeon make her ass backlit.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1960
    Like it Paul_C...Wilco knows the power of the backlight ;-)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10615

I couldn't give a shit what an amp or pedal looks like. If I had my way the amp would have huge protective corners on it to protect it in the van and all the ins and outs and main connector would be on the front where you can actually see them at a dimly lit gig .................... why the fuck do they put them on the back ?
    I don't actually own any pedals but one looks much like another to me and they live on the floor so who cares what it looks like.

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Agree with @Danny1969, I can be a bit more particular with a guitars looks but in the end sound is the thing. I don't think the gear should upstage the performance.

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    It bothers me a lot more than it should.  Although my main guitar is a Parker P44 which everyone says is ugly, but I love it!
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 380
    Gassage said:
    I have to admit, I hate garish coloured gear. I like my communist board, I like classical amps and heads and I like things that look well made.

Didn't you have one of these on your board until recently?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    breadfan said:
    Gassage said:

Didn't you have one of these on your board until recently?

only on weekends, just don't tell his friends
  • Trouble is, the Chrono is so good that you can overlook the colour
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Gassage said:
    samzadgan said:

What, you mean better looking than this?

hey...different strokes right...that doesnt really do it for me...these however...

• I think pedals and amplifiers should look functional and robust. Being able to see the valves glow is an advantage.

Guitars - well I like them in vintage sunburst if they're the kind that sound like they should have vintage sunburst on them. Or natural. Pointy guitars (for pointy music) are allowed different colour schemes.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself