Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much does visual appeal affect your buying of pedals and amps?

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12062
    If Fairfield's casing had been chrome or a painted finished then the misalignment of the letters would be weird, but because it is finished in a raw state, it goes with it, IMO.  So they go hand in hand, which comes across more a design decision, an industrial looking design.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If Fairfield's casing had been chrome or a painted finished then the misalignment of the letters would be weird, but because it is finished in a raw state, it goes with it, IMO.  So they go hand in hand, which comes across more a design decision, an industrial looking design.
    Like a Cornish.

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    If Fairfield's casing had been chrome or a painted finished then the misalignment of the letters would be weird, but because it is finished in a raw state, it goes with it, IMO.  So they go hand in hand, which comes across more a design decision, an industrial looking design.
    Like a Cornish.

;)
    Ruined by the Dymo label that I can peel off with my nails...and a Cornish is actually painted. Fairfield is actually just bare metal. 
  • RaymondLin;460736" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

RaymondLin said:

Like a Cornish.

;)

Ruined by the Dymo label that I can peel off with my nails...and a Cornish is actually painted. Fairfield is actually just bare metal. 
    I know, but it's the same industrial look.

I'd argue the cornish is a tidier way of doing it, too.

Horses for courses!
    edited December 2014
    Tidy doesn't always mean visually more appealing, bottom line is they are dymo labels and they remind of of things you stick on jars.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Pedals-wise, I like fancy graphics etc provided they're done well, but I also like simple, purposeful stuff that looks like lab equipment :D
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Bucket;460811" said:
    Pedals-wise, I like fancy graphics etc provided they're done well, but I also like simple, purposeful stuff that looks like lab equipment :D
    That pedal (and I know what one you mean) is the coolest pedal ever I think.

That, or your Ibanez delay. Freaking awesome.
    Bucket;460811" said:

They both have a definite lab equipment vibe!

I was actually thinking of my new CBC Superfuzz when I wrote that:

• Bucket;460891" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Bucket;460811" said:Pedals-wise, I like fancy graphics etc provided they're done well, but I also like simple, purposeful stuff that looks like lab equipment :D

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af347/ConnorF1995/My gear/superfuzz_zpsa10e83c1.jpg
    Nice! That's actually a really cool looking pedal, if I compared to the Fairfield meet maude, it makes the meet maude look cheap, even though the basic look is similar.

But it's no son of freakenstein... ;) does that still get a lot of use?
    edited December 2014
    It hasn't the last few days, just because the Superfuzz is in its space for the time being, but my idea recently has been to build up a big collection of weird fuzzes that I can change between on my boards when I want. So I'm sure it'll be back on the board soon enough.

Currently up to four fuzzes - my Maxon (Bee Baa clone), Superfuzz clone, Son of Freakenstein and a Big Muff Pi with the Tone and Wicker switches, that one doesn't get as much use but it's cool. I'll definitely be buying from CBC again, they do loads of interesting clones.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4651
    Looks are important but it's whats inside that counts
  • Bucket;460891" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Bucket;460811" said:Pedals-wise, I like fancy graphics etc provided they're done well, but I also like simple, purposeful stuff that looks like lab equipment :D

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af347/ConnorF1995/My gear/superfuzz_zpsa10e83c1.jpg
    Nice! That's actually a really cool looking pedal, if I compared to the Fairfield meet maude, it makes the meet maude look cheap, even though the basic look is similar.

so much wrong! The Fairfield is classy! This looks like default word typography. Ah, each to their own.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5040
    I refused to buy a fairly decent Squier bass because of the smell (yeuch) and the fact that it was grotty and sticky to play (played while eating curried chips?).
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Doesnt bother me what pedals look like but i dont like odd shaped ones for some reason.
    I do like quite plain looking amps but not bashed about or with ripped cloth - dont mind wear from use but like guitars i love wear and tear from playing but it annoys me seeing stuff beat up or chipped just because someone couldnt be arsed to pop it back on a stand etc.
  • Not much, but I wouldn't buy a Victory amp because they look vulgar. IMHO
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4777
    I sold my zoom G3 because it's like looking down on 3 scientific calculators from the 1980's. Who wants yellow LCD screens on their board. Replaced by a Diamond Memory Lane Jr., Boss BF2, CE-3, and a few other nice pedals. I've gained nothing much sonically but at least it doesn't look like a cheap collection of label makers anymore.
  • GavHaus said:
    Bucket;460891" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

so much wrong! The Fairfield is classy! This looks like default word typography. Ah, each to their own.
    I'm just a stickler for neatness ;)

@bucket I WANT A SON OF FREAKENSTEIN. 

Like, more than my next breath. 
    I WANT A SON OF FREAKENSTEIN. 

Like, more than my next breath. 
    This won't help but yes, yes you do :D
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    Don't care about how amps or pedals look. Guitars are primarily about feel, but looks certainly come into it for me when choosing.