Sofa time

What's Hot
On the off chance that someone is knowledgeable about these things which of the large Sofa chains am
I best going to satisfy the wifes SAS this week? Are any better quality than others ?

Ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• try to interest her also in doremi or latido
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • To be clear if I don't manage to land on some kind of 'buy now pay much later' deal then I would have to shelve plans already in place to buy back my 63 335 I foolishly sold last year for real cash money...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24721
    They're all shit.  Unless you're paying big bucks from an artisan manufacturer, you're going to get chunks of chipboard / fibreboard / bits of shit barely held together with glue that are nail-gunned together by a spotty oik on minimum wage, covered in crap foam and cheap upholstery and sold as if it were hand-stitched nappa leather, lovingly put together by an experienced craftsman.

You'd be better off getting something second-hand that weighs three tonnes and paying for it to be reupholstered.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • In the past we had a couple of sofas from this lot.

they were ok and minimal chipboard/nailguns

currently rocking a sofa and reclining chair from stressless

• vizviz Frets: 10778
    edited December 2014
    Yes we got 3 from sofasofa so far over (no alliteration intended) the years - they've all been excellent.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • We also have a sofasofa one ( they used to have a showroom in Brum) which has been fine. Our more expensive MandS one has been a history of problems. The 'free' finance ones like DFS are to be avoided if you can just because their prices are so bloody high.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    It's just a shame all the ones on SofaSofa are a bit meh :(

We've had a DFS sofa (two actually) for 7 years and had zero problems with it. The seats are getting a bit mis-shapen now, but that's because we went for that filling that you have to plump every 5 minutes (and haven't bothered because we are lazy) instead of the firmer foamy type stuff.

They're probably not the best made sofas in the world but if you get them in a "sale" (i.e. when they are normally priced) then they're not too bad. 0% for 4 years is good too - I know there's an argument for "if you can't afford it, don't buy it", but a sofa is a big purchase and usually a necessity, especially when moving house, so if I can pay for one over 4 years at £12 a month to allow money for other house purchases/money to hold back in our rainy day fund, then I will.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited December 2014
    Sofa Workshop. Totally worth it compared to the crap they sell in the big places with the endless "sales".

http://www.sofaworkshop.com
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10431
    I've got two four seater sofas from DFS,the oldest one being around 12 years old and the other around 8.Both been excellent,although one did have to be recovered after our bath decided to empty its contents into the ceiling above one day,causing the whole ceiling to collapse onto said sofa,ruining the fabric.Yes you can tell they're cheaply made ( they still cost around £1300 each) but they are still more than sturdy enough to withstand two boys transition from toddlers to clumsy,oafish teenagers.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • I've always used other peoples' cast-offs. Lets face it you're only going to park your bum on it. Get a throw if you don't like its colour. Spend the money on GAS instead :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The ones we have now I bought used and we have had them 4 years . They were SCS new. The wife keeps looking at my ever expanding guitar wall and then looking at the sofa :-) thanks for the advice thus far
  • iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited December 2014
    Sofa workshop have placed their showrooms in such a fashion as to mock me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sofa workshop have placed their showrooms im such a fashion as to mock me.

We travelled from near Coventry to Bristol to look at ours a few years ago!
  • not_the_dj;460042" said:
    iseverynamegone said:

Sofa workshop have placed their showrooms im such a fashion as to mock me.

We travelled from near Coventry to Bristol to look at ours a few years ago!
    ...for a guitar maybe ....:-)
  • Ikea Kivik here. Big L shaped one. Not spectacular quality but it's cheap and huge and soft and purple and 2 people can easily lie down on it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • We got ours from sofa.com very well made comapared to the likes if DFS.
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    We had 2 superb ones from Furniture Village which are now going on 12 years old and not a single problem.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    The trouble with used ones is that they're full of other people's farts.
    My V key is broken
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24721
    There's usually a valve near the corner you can open to release them.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not getting a valve sofa, too high maintenance and too heavy.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom