Sofa time

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Sofaworks are discounting 'extra extra' 7th-16th January. Hence the Mrs cancelled our original order and we'll reorder then.

You find you'll get nice stuff, and some shite, whichever retailer/manufacturer you opt for.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My next one will be one you can hoover under. There are carpet beetles behind the one I have now. Also it's a bit broken and far too big.
    My V key is broken
  • british home stores. The 80s wins.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    We have 2 DFS 3-seaters, bought new 17 years ago, and they are still dead comfy - one has faded because it has been under the same window for all that time, but otherwise still in good nick.

We'll be going back to them for new ones later this year.

• According to something I just heard on R4, you call it a sofa if you're upper, or working class. Middle class people call it a settee. Apparently. I didn't know that.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    Phil_aka_Pip;460840" said:
    According to something I just heard on R4, you call it a sofa if you're upper, or working class. Middle class people call it a settee. Apparently. I didn't know that.
    Always called them settees.

And mine is located in the lounge...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Iamnobody said:
    According to something I just heard on R4, you call it a sofa if you're upper, or working class. Middle class people call it a settee. Apparently. I didn't know that.

ditto.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12119
    We used to buy expensive new sofas. An Ekornes 3 seater for £2500 topped the list - and to be frank the leather is delaminating just outside warranty. We used the cleaners and conditioner recommended, but Ekornes now claim those products are not recommended (I have found the literature from purchase to contradict that), and say the dealer is responsible anyway, and we can't find the receipt. (7-8 years we are at), so we are not too impressed with service after lashing out big money. 

Actually that sofa was what started me buying pro guitars - this reasoning may work for someone else:
    I was thinking "why spend more money on a sofa than a guitar, when my avocation is guitar playing?"
    "avocation" sounds much better than "hobby", and I think that guitar playing really my most important non-family activity, so it is more accurate really

The "normal" (non guitar buying) appear to spend more money on sofas, and change their minds so quickly, that the used prices are ludicrously cheap. Also the bigger the cheaper. 
    Some people hate the idea of second hand furniture, which is one reason it is so cheap. In reality, you get more intimate with a used guitar, but I'm guessing the major factor is whether your other half is happy with used sofas

Another opinion:
    have a walk round the big sofa sellers:
    I went round several and found that 80%+ were really uncomfortable, metal support bars running under the centre of some cushions, etc
    Most are made to LOOK good

I buy a lot of stuff from IKEA. Once had a leather sofa bed from them, looked good, very good as a bed, but awful as a sofa
    Every time I go to IKEA I sit on any new chairs, I don't know what's wrong with IKEA, but their sofas are all very uncomfortable
    Great for bookshelves, desks, kitchens, but not sofas

Shortlist the brands which seem to be comfy, drive your search from there, not from the sales techniques being inflicted on you
    but in reality you are playing the supporting role in this process, I don't know how much influence you can exert
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12461
    Apparently there is a sale on at DFS which is fucking unusual
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10431
    Iamnobody said:

Here in Grimsby we prefer them in the front garden.

;)
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    breakstuff;461057" said:
    Iamnobody said:

Phil_aka_Pip;460840" said:According to something I just heard on R4, you call it a sofa if you're upper, or working class. Middle class people call it a settee. Apparently. I didn't know that.

Here in Grimsby we prefer them in the front garden.

;)
    I always preferred Cleethorpes...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Settee is a Northern thing in my experience.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom