Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Positivity time! How has 2014 been good for you?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    I didn't have a great first half (lost my Mum, nearly lost my Dad) but as a consequence I received enough to reduce my mortgage from £395/m to £35/m so for the first time in years I'm not dreading the end of each month.

Things could be better, but experience reminds me that they could also be a whole lot worse, so I'm generally upbeat as I look towards 2015.

:)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    hywelg said:
    holnrew said:
    and learning that I'm pretty great really.
    You could be biased???    ;)

15 months free of throat cancer. Been a great year.

Nope, holnrew is genuinely awesome

And congratulations!

All practice and no theory
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Became a dad, finally got the guitar I'd always wanted, spent too much on pedals, wrote and recorded music I'm genuinely proud of, which the world is yet to care about. Earned some royalties. Bring on 2015.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11448
    Pretty damn good year.

Visited 20 countries on my travels, saw some amazing sights and met some great people on the way. Also stayed in the odd indescribable shithole along the way.

Met a certain someone, who knows how it will go.

I no longer get cramped wrist pain when playing (although the pain took any residual skill or talent with it).
  • Overall, pretty good!
    Started the year with my CFS at full-bore, and was hardly able to do a damn thing. My boss was pressuring me to get into work more, and working with 4kJ/S laser power supplies when impaired by chronic sleep deprivation and dosed up with Amitriptyline isn't something I would recommend. I had some very close calls.
    By the end of January, the settlement from a car crash finally came through and we were able to pay off the mortgage a a couple of years early. This meant I was able to walk away from my job and go self-employed. My health has improved considerably as a result and while I'm still far from 100%, I feel like I have some kind of a life now!
    In April I joined one of my favourite bands, albeit momentarily. It didn't really work out, but I'm glad I gave it a go.
    Otherwise, business is starting to grow. I doubt I'll be rich any time soon, but it helps pay the bills, I work from home and enjoy it.
    Can't say I have a lot to complain about, to be honest!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    The diet starts in 2015.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3101
    A family break up North in May was great. Getting to see the castles was amazing.

Another family break with the In Laws in Cornwall was amazing. Perfect warm weather, fantastic apartment and all round the perfect british holiday.

Short break with the Wife to Devon was an eye opener too. Walking around Dartmoor made me appreciate our country that bit more and makes want to move down there in the future.

Getting two new great guitars, one of which is a dream come true.

There's other great things too but 2014 was a mixed year but with more positives than negatives. 2015 looks to be an exciting year with plans to move out of our small flat into a house as well as a holiday to Florida. 
  • MtB;459997" said:
    2014 is going to be a land mark year for me as tomorrow, 27 years after buying my first house, I will pay my mortgage off - and thus have more beer tokens and GAS funds. Yay!
    So if we don't see any juicy, high ticket purchases from you this coming year, you're getting booted the f##k off of this forum, d'yer hear? ;)
  • lasermonkey;460354" said:
    Overall, pretty good!Started the year with my CFS at full-bore, and was hardly able to do a damn thing. My boss was pressuring me to get into work more, and working with 4kJ/S laser power supplies when impaired by chronic sleep deprivation and dosed up with Amitriptyline isn't something I would recommend. I had some very close calls.By the end of January, the settlement from a car crash finally came through and we were able to pay off the mortgage a a couple of years early. This meant I was able to walk away from my job and go self-employed. My health has improved considerably as a result and while I'm still far from 100%, I feel like I have some kind of a life now!In April I joined one of my favourite bands, albeit momentarily. It didn't really work out, but I'm glad I gave it a go.Otherwise, business is starting to grow. I doubt I'll be rich any time soon, but it helps pay the bills, I work from home and enjoy it.Can't say I have a lot to complain about, to be honest!
    Well done man - they thought it might be CFS with me as well, but now they reckon it's more of a stress related episode that still gives me fatigue.

Good to read that you're on the right road.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited December 2014
    Generally good!

Finished one course at ICMP with a very good final grade, started my degree and have had a blast so far. Joined a new band or three and have done lots more gigs. Have noticed myself becoming much better in social situations and starting to overcome the shyness and self-esteem issues I've struggled with since school. Also I bought an absolute shit-ton of new gear, all of which is brilliant :D

EDIT: I forgot - also got my long hair cut, which was a big improvement.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Good year for my girls.
    Eldest qualified as a teacher and has her first class in Jan ,middle finished her album and sign a publishing deal with juicy advance un the bank. Youngest got four offers of place for uni next year.

Still heavy in debt and four years away from retiring, and a some new medical issue confirmed today , but overall cannot complain. Celebrated 35 years married and feel we are closer now than 35 years ago.

Hopes for next year... Keep healthy, pay off a lump of the debt. Hope to see middle daughter finally get her album launched, and youngest settled in Uni.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28079
    edited December 2014
    Managed three decent holidays.  Don't often do holidays, so 3 in a year was very different.
    Stepson finished at vet college and is now properly employed.  And in his own flat.
    New pup arrived (though only after an old girl left us).
    Few guitars arrived, including one that probably makes my top3.

Oh, and this place grew, grew, and then grew some more.  

So, on the whole, not so bad.  

:)

Got some plans for next year too ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8858
    2014 was a considerable improvement on 2013. No one in the family died, or got hospitalised. My wife and I spent more time together than previous years. The band went from strength to strength. Could have been a lot worse.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Came off antidepressants and, although December is without doubt the toughest month of the year (Christmas and new year are incredibly depressing!) I'm still off them. And that's despite now needing to juggle working a shit job with caring for nan.

Made some friends. This isn't much for most people, but I actually gained one very good friend this year, something I really struggle with.

And I'm better at guitar. Not good yet, but definitely getting there. :)
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Came off antidepressants and, although December is without doubt the toughest month of the year (Christmas and new year are incredibly depressing!) I'm still off them. And that's despite now needing to juggle working a shit job with caring for nan.

Made some friends. This isn't much for most people, but I actually gained one very good friend this year, something I really struggle with.

And I'm better at guitar. Not good yet, but definitely getting there. :)
    That's really good. Well done. I'm hoping to make some friends this year.
    My V key is broken
  • Came off antidepressants and, although December is without doubt the toughest month of the year (Christmas and new year are incredibly depressing!) I'm still off them. And that's despite now needing to juggle working a shit job with caring for nan.

Fucking brilliant stuff @ThePrettyDamned, well done mate.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15905
    nothing wrong with making friends, but it can be a time consuming business and frankly a bit hit or miss. I find the much better method is to find someone who already has really good friends and steal theirs.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• N'aww, cheers lads.

I'm rather proud. My goal for this year is to start retraining, either in medicine (not that likely) or an associated speciality if that doesn't work out.