Google Chromecast

What's Hot
jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
Bit fucking good, aren't they?

£30 and my older, non-smart HD TV is now effectively a smart TV.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    Yeah I love mine.

Great that it works with tune in radio and Spotify via spoticast now as well.

Also used it for Santa tracker over Xmas which was cool
  • Love ours. Mainly for the kids watching CBeebies shows, and I can watch a Doug and Pat on YouTube while doing the ironing!
  • paid £18 for one, they are alright sometimes a bit clunky but in general you cannot fault it for the money, I mainly use it with a cheap projector with HDMI and USB so no extra power lead needed. I found my white 10x8ft portable studio backdrop acts as perfect projector screen.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Didn't know about Spoticast! Thanks for that.

The real clincher for me was that it works with NFL Game Pass, so I can cast NFL games from my iPad onto the TV.

The only downside, if I had to pick one would be that there's not an app that easily allows you to cast videos on your iPad to the TV or videos that you stream from a server (i.e. my macbook) to the iPad - I found one called "Goodplayer" which works fine, but you have to add the videos via the file share function in iTunes. Not a great hardship, and I can understand why it's not available as this is Apple TV domain.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24415
    Whassitdo then ?  ...or rather, what do you use it for.  The only thing I've worked out is that you can play Youtube vids on the telly - but my Raspberry Pi does that and more.  I think I need (want) one, but can't find a justifiable reason !
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    Well that's one part of it, but there are loads of other available Apps which allow you to cast stuff from your iPad/phone/laptop to your TV.

Netflix, Youtube, movies, photos, music (via TuneIn, Google Play music, Spotify etc).

It's a cheap solution to "smarting up" your TV.
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Whassitdo then ?  ...or rather, what do you use it for.  The only thing I've worked out is that you can play Youtube vids on the telly - but my Raspberry Pi does that and more.  I think I need (want) one, but can't find a justifiable reason !

joneve said:

The real clincher for me was that it works with NFL Game Pass, so I can cast NFL games from my iPad onto the TV.

The only downside, if I had to pick one would be that there's not an app that easily allows you to cast videos on your iPad to the TV or videos that you stream from a server (i.e. my macbook) to the iPad - I found one called "Goodplayer" which works fine, but you have to add the videos via the file share function in iTunes. Not a great hardship, and I can understand why it's not available as this is Apple TV domain.
    can you not stream them from the chromecast add on through the chrome browser on your macbook using plex?
    Emp_Fab said:

joneve said:

can you not stream them from the chromecast add on through the chrome browser on your macbook using plex?
    Yes, but that's a bit more of a faff as I always have my iPad to hand and the laptop is usually upstairs :D
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24415
    Bugger.  It doesn't do anything I can't already do with the Pi.  Oh well, G(adget)AS foiled again :-(
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • joneve said:
    Yes, but that's a bit more of a faff as I always have my iPad to hand and the laptop is usually upstairs :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    joneve said:

Aha! I guess I hadn't really researched what Plex was, fully. I thought it was just like AirVideo. I might have to give this a go tonight!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    edited December 2014
    Loving it so much I paid full price for another one for my dad for Xmas.. he's loving Showbox (freebie Russian Netflix).

I will look into Spoticast now... cheers @monquixote
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited December 2014
    strumjoughlamps;460233" said:
    joneve said:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201812818-Cast-from-iOS
    OH MAYTE! Plex is a game changer! Cheers Dave!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1751

I like mine but I'd love to see more apps supported. Such as 4Od or ITV player.

I got it for netflix and also BT Sport - however the BT sport app simply doesn't work anymore :(

@gubble I guess it's still relatively 'new', so there will hopefully be apps continually added.

Now I have Plex media server set up, it's got everything I need it for! Netflix and Youtube (on occasion) and can now stream videos from my media server (laptop) straight to the TV by selecting on the iPad.

Winner.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Can you watch USA Netflix on it?
    My V key is broken

holnrew said:
    Can you watch USA Netflix on it?
    If you can access US netflix via Google Chrome or you're nerdy enough to configure the proxy IP's on your network so that the netflix version on your iPad/Tablet is also US netflix then yes you can.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Interessant
    My V key is broken

holnrew said:
    Interessant
    Indeed!