Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sainsbury's Blended Scotch Whisky

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    jaygtr said:

I like lagavulin usually but my current squeeze is glenfarclas 105 for a change.
    Mine is a Dalmore 12 which was a birthday prezzie from my youngest - very nice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    bertie said:
    see, luckily Im completely the opposite....... I cannot bear "expensive"  whisky...........that tastes like TCP to me........... cheaper stuff like White and Mcwhatsit, or tesco own brew....... I much prefer....(dont like bells either)
    The 'TCP' flavour is what some people get off smokey Islays (though also corked whisky - rare but it does happen). Try something Lowlands (Springbank or Hazleburn relatively inexpensive, though both a little sweet). Or of course it might be cheaper in the long run to stick with being happy with what you've got (the wine tasting problem; you end up being unhappy with a normal glass of wine).
  • ESBlonde said:
    Gin - Asda had 1 Ltr Gordons for £15 this weekend which is was handy since I picked 1.8Kg of Sloes on Saturday. 2 Bottles secured before the offer ended, that should be ideal come next autumn when the stuff is nicely matured.

I've checked the sloes around here today and last Saturday but didn't consider them ready for picking yet.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2343
    Mccallan is the best whiskey in my world.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    "Carlsberg don't make whisky..."

(it's a pity they don't make beer)
  • thomasw88 said:
    Mccallan is the best whiskey in my world.
    Not in mine, at least not anymore.  It was until it got popular with the booze journos and the volume produced went up and the QC down.  I prefer Glenmorangie now.

The best whisky ever was the 12 yo Macallan that was only available for export.  Used to pick some up in the airport coming home from holidays abroad. Any Macallan older than 12 years was smoother than the 10 yo but sacrificed a bit of flavour and of course was very pricey.  The 12 was smoother than the 10 but with more intense flavours and at similar prices. Haven't bought any in ages, got out of the habit of picking up whisky in duty free, so I've no idea if the QC's gone down on that as well.  Last new year I had a dram out of a bottle I brought home for my dad back in the day and it was every bit as good as I remembered.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5027
    Whiskey [with the 'e'] is where its at:  If you are feeling flush, a glass of Midleton.  A bottle of Midleton includes a voucher for the tour of the distillery which I am reliably informed is worth driving to Cork to experience.  A more affordable drink is a glass of  Black Bush or Paddy.  A surprisingly good inexpensive whiskey is Powers Gold Label.  All drunk neat.  Nobody in their right mind would consider diluting any of these.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Rocker I've drunk all of those except Midleton and if I can remember correctly, I enjoyed all of them. will look out for Midleton :)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    @Rocker I've also enjoyed Tullamore D.E.W and (best of all) Tyrconnell - luscious!
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I am deffinitely a single malt man and ive had a few but for me the outstanding heroes of whiskey are yoichi single malt, a very fine 10year matured single malt from japan or if youre on a slightly tighter budget Balvenie Doublewood is a proper scotish single malt but in my humble opinion is far superior to the likes of glenfiddich and other larger name higher price distillers.
  • vizviz Frets: 10773
    Rocker said:
    Whiskey [with the 'e'] is where its at:  If you are feeling flush, a glass of Midleton.  A bottle of Midleton includes a voucher for the tour of the distillery which I am reliably informed is worth driving to Cork to experience.  A more affordable drink is a glass of  Black Bush or Paddy.  A surprisingly good inexpensive whiskey is Powers Gold Label.  All drunk neat.  Nobody in their right mind would consider diluting any of these.  

Jameson's Gold - yum.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.