Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

stock market....anyone dabble?

What's Hot
As title....I hold a small portfolio and always looking for " the big one " !

Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I dablled in a couple penny stocks years ago. Lost £20, 000. 
    I also lost a lot through spread-betting. 
    My advice - go long over a long period of time with safe stocks. I currently hold Rolls Royce and Vanguard Lifestrategy 100% ACC and I'm something like 10% up over 6 months or so (so I've clawed back £1k of all that money - oh well).
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Yes. I have a simple strategy that has worked for the last 30 years.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Err, so you're not elaborating on that lol...
  • I have a virtual portfio. If I'd put real money in I'd be blood rich. Mainly apple and ARM about 20 years ago.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3637
    Investing has always been a hobby of mine.

Done OK over time..............and "time" is the operative word it is not a get rich quick thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    Mm...I have had similar experiences, generally come out on top over the last 10 years or so. Currently winning on Big Yellow self storage, Barclays, Gresham computing ( might get more) Flowgroup. Holding ...and slightly down on Morrisons. Looking at ....Tesco.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Axe_meister;462084" said:
    I have a virtual portfio. If I'd put real money in I'd be blood rich. Mainly apple and ARM about 20 years ago.
    Tell me more, I want to learn about it without the financial risk
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I tried day trading Forex, still got an account. Might give it another go.
    My V key is broken
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27159
    I have an offshore mutual thing. Mostly for tax efficiency rather than massive investment returns. Never thought I'd be saying that a couple of years ago!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • roundthebend;462298" said:
    [quote="Axe_meister;462084"]I have a virtual portfio. If I'd put real money in I'd be blood rich. Mainly apple and ARM about 20 years ago.
    Tell me more, I want to learn about it without the financial risk
    [/quote]

There are a number of sites (e.g. iii ) that let you set up a virtual portfolio which track the market. No doubt therr are numerous phone apps as well. You just stick a value of stocks/shares to track and watch.
  • I wondered if you had recommendations on which to use. I found a few phone apps but they looked dodgy.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4648
    edited January 2015
    I don't even know my logon details for iii still get the emails though telling me how rich I could have been.
  • I've installed Stock Trainer which looks decent. Now to work out who to watch and invest in.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    If you're shorting or day trading might as well get the Racing Post and go to the bookies IMHO.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27649
    Jalapeno said:
    If you're shorting or day trading might as well get the Racing Post and go to the bookies IMHO.
    Aren't the odds better with the bookies??

holnrew said:
    I tried day trading Forex, still got an account. Might give it another go.
    Luckily, there are no professionals with billions of dollars (of other people's money) behind them and access to market-sensitive information well in advance of it getting published in that game.

X_X
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    TTony said:
    Luckily, there are no professionals with billions of dollars (of other people's money) behind them and access to market-sensitive information well in advance of it getting published in that game.
    Wisdomed !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited January 2015
    Err, so you're not elaborating on that lol...
    Simple really. You have to start from the premise that assets like houses have generally performed better than shares which go up and down. I therefore tend to only invest in a small range of large companies in the FTSE 350 with excellent year on year growth, annual dividends, low or no debt that own well known brands. I tend to stay for the long haul rather than a quick buck. One of my best performing shares is Dominoes Pizza - I've made a small fortune out of them. Another is SA Breweries (SAB) - well run, profitable, low debt and owns some of the world's leading beer brands - with beer revenues flat it has moved into soft drinks, did a deal to bottle Coke Cola for international markets and is looking to takeover Pepsi. SAB has massive cash reserves - it failed to takeover Heinekin but is in talks with Guiness and Carlsberg. It also pays to stick to things you know about - in my case pizza and beer .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Did it as a job for 18 years and now run my own investments. In terms of tips I'd offer the following. Acquisition of knowledge is the first stage. ( like most things in life).

1) Understand the business cycle and it's effect on the market. Money, Bank Credit and Economic Cycles by Professor Jesús Huerta de Soto is the easiest and most up to date book on the subject. More advanced readers can attempt Pure Capital Theory by Hayek but it is tough.

2) have a reasonable understanding of economics. Man, Economy and State by Murray Rothbard is the most readable of the market oriented texts at beginners level.

3) Understand the nature of the time value of money and the mathematical relationship between present and future value. Know how to discount cash flows and how interest rate structure effects share values.

4) Understand the relationships between price, earnings and bookvalue.

Untill you get these four fundamentals, don't risk money. They played a big part in me not needing toward full time and without them your just punting.

Oh and FFS DONT DO FOREX. Pros make money on volume, not movement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    I have some Standard Life ones they gave me when they de-mutualised (or whatever it was they did) - I took all my dividends in shares, so my initial 750 shares turned into just over 1000, and the price now is around £4.00 (initial price when I was given them was about £2.80).  I didn't need the cash at the time, so just left them for a rainy day...

I also joined the share-save scheme at work, bought 600 shares at £6.60, and they are now trading at around £11.00.

Also, Our Maud worked until yesterday for a German Utility / Power company and joined their (very generous) share-save scheme - now she has retired (and can cash them in) she's going to use the proceeds to buy a new car.

Whatever, it's not a get-rich-quick scheme, as @Neil says - you win over time.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited January 2015
    I've often thought about investing money in stocks but have absolutely no idea where to start so will be following this thread.  
    I don't even understand the stock market to be honest....just interested in making some money.