2»

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Another vote for AO.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7820
    edited January 2015
    ordered with AO :)

my only concern is that the oven I have is standing on some pieces that are attached to its base and raise it up 3 or 4 inches from the bottom of the space it's occupying, and I wonder whether or not the person who will arrive to install the new one will be able to raise it to the same height.

I did ask and was told that it wouldn't be a problem, but I doubt whether the lad informing me of this had the slightest idea if he was right to tell me that. I might well prepare for the worst between now and the installation day on the 14th.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • what's wrong with a toaster?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    And the most boring post title goes to.....
    :(

Second problem encountered (I do like to make life entertaining) - the spec. for modern EU-friendly products includes the need for a 32A fused circuit, and my current cooker is on its own 30A fused circuit.

A quick google suggests it shouldn't be a problem as it is, but a call to AO on their dedicated "any questions you might have in regard to your installation" resulted in a firm "I've never heard of that one, someone will have to call Hotpoint and get back to you".

Further research suggests I might be able to swap the 30A fuse for a 32A MCB (assuming such a thing is possible) which should sort things out.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited January 2015

P=VI

I thought you only needed something like an MCB if it is a radial circuit, ie a spur to the garage or something.

The cooker ring main with the 30A fuse switch should be on a 6mm Twin and Earth ring main to it's own 32A MCB in the consumer unit.

Or are you saying the cooker was running off a fused spur connected with speaker cables to the lighting ring main?

In which case you do have a problem.

I wouldn't worry though, EU laws mean all cookers above 3W are banned and that they must run on Duracell batteries and led power, so you'll have to start now if you want to get next years Turkey cooked anyway.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Having the fuse (I'm presuming you've got those Wylex rewirable fuses as your consumer unit) rated less than the manufacturer suggests shouldn't be a problem, it would be an issue if your device had a higher rating.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    What Sambostar said. Apart from the bit about 3W cookers.

The cooker's on a circuit of its own, with an old-style 30A fuse, but modern regulations demand a 32A fuse (MCB).

From what I read yesterday it should be possible to pull out the old fuse and swap it for a new 32A MCB (I can get one from Screwfix for a tenner) and job done, but I just wanted to be sure that's the case.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    edited January 2015
    You can get MCB's that plug into old style fuse boxes. Simply a straight swap for the existing fuse. Personally I wouldn't bother though (unless the installers are insistent on it) there's actually nothing wrong with rewirable fuses IMO. The only difference is they take an extra second or two to blow if there's a fault and they sound a bit more dramatic when they pop. Ok MCBs are easier to reset, but then they shouldn't be tripping in the first place.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Also, MCB's cannot be bridged with a nail in an emergency*

*Don't try this at home unless there's an expert around. 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'll keep hold of the old fuse for emergencies then . . .

. . . or go to the chip shop.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Also, MCB's cannot be bridged with a nail in an emergency*

It'll certainly become an emergency...
    heh - just had the new oven fitted, and I decided not to pay them an extra £10 to take the old one away, reasoning that at worst I could get it to the tip myself - we left it at the top of the drive and by the time they'd finished fitting the new one it had gone

:)