Guitar for child learner?

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7619
This is a subject that has been done before I know, but back on the other forum, so thought I'd ask again as it has become relevant.

My 8yo has again expressed an interest in learning (did so once before a couple of years or so ago - I used a toy acoustic we had kicking about but he lost interest very quickly). Today he asked again, and took one of my too-big and too-heavy electrics to his room and learned a bar or 2 of Happy Birthday from a Youtube video lol.

I'm wondering whether a nylon string acoustic might be kinder on his hands than an electric - and if it's worth getting a 3/4 size one of whichever is the best bet.

Be good to hear your thoughts and experiences, both from parents and teachers
ta
Tim
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Anything by Yamaha should do fine. I started on (and still have) my Yamaha classical guitar, 30 yrs later...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72831
    How big are his hands? 3/4 guitars are a bit of a mixed blessing. They're obviously physically smaller so easier to get their hands around, but the trade-off is poor tone and tuning stability (even with nylon strings) so they can be offputting.

If you're going electric I'd get the smallest 'nearly full size' one you can - something like a Squier Duo-Sonic, which although still short scale is a much better instrument than the average 3/4-size. Not cheap, but it will keep its value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    Morgan double cut

:)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Plus one for a short scale squier. Not a 3/4 guitar, as then there is a transition moving from that to full size, but a mustang, duo sonic, jaguar... All are shorter than normal. Duo sonics crop up nice and cheap, and I think they're the shortest ones :)

And very cool, to boot.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited September 2013
    Danalectro. Full size but very light.

And if he doesn't keep it up, you get to keep it.
    ;)
    My kids like my Danelectro Convertible, but it's still too big for my 9-year-old really - and it doesn't balance that well, which makes holding up the neck a problem when it's already too far to the left for her.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 3/4 size classical, with the carrot of an electric when he's done his Grade 1 classical.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Let him play your most expensive guitar.

That way you'll stick around to teach him, let him know how much you like your guitar and share it with him, plus you can work out if he'll get on with a full size guitar yet.

Then find out what he likes the look of and take him shopping sometime.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7619
    ICBM;44352" said:
    My kids like my Danelectro Convertible, but it's still too big for my 9-year-old really - and it doesn't balance that well, which makes holding up the neck a problem when it's already too far to the left for her.
    Have you considered a career in sales? :-)

Red ones are better. 
    stonevibe;44386" said:
    Let him play your most expensive guitar.

That way you'll stick around to teach him, let him know how much you like your guitar and share it with him, plus you can work out if he'll get on with a full size guitar yet.

Then find out what he likes the look of and take him shopping sometime.
    I like the thinking, it's just that in the week I'm barely in the house while they are awake so a 8yo getting out and putting away an R7 or DGT on his own fills me with dread.
    Red ones are better. 
    edited September 2013
    Phil_aka_Pip;44363" said:
    3/4 size classical, with the carrot of an electric when he's done his Grade 1 classical.
    One of the reasons I consider acoustic/classical is that he already reads more music than I do (he had some piano lessons - only stopped because the teacher stopped to have a baby and he didn't like the new teacher) and I'm assuming most electric-beginner teachers don't teach music reading
    Red ones are better. 
  • Classical guitars are, relative to electrics, a pain to play. Fat necks! However, I seen where you're coming from.

How about playing some brit pop to them? They're normally easy to play, and thus the sheet music is good. Maybe Coldplay or something that's easy to listen to, has melody, easy to play... And electric.

As far as the r7 goes, consider it free relicking ;)
  • Another on the Squier Duo Sonic - my 7yo has one and it is perfect for her (when she manages to get it out of my hands)

They seem to have stopped making them, which is slightly frustrating!

They come up fairly often second hand though. Of the two versions, the earlier Fender-badged red/black/cream one with two angled Strat-like pickups actually goes cheaper and has a shorter scale (22.5"), so may be more suitable for a young child.

The later gold-anodised-pickguard Squier '50s' version is simply one of the coolest electric guitars ever made - it's actually better than the original 1950s Fender Duo-Sonic because it has a 24" scale and a wider neck. I really should get one :).

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    edited September 2013
    That's the one - lovely thing to play and the pickups are excellent. Picked it up for £30 on Gumtree which was crazy cheap, but they seem to come up on t'bay for less than a ton quite often

JookyChap said:

Picked it up for £30
    :-O

Ok this sounds like a good plan - thanks guys
    Red ones are better. 
  • ICBM said:
    JookyChap said:

Picked it up for £30
    :-O

I know, it felt like a mugging :)

JookyChap said:

I know, it felt like a mugging :)
    Are you sure it wasn't when the seller got it?! 

They were nearly £300 new when they were discontinued and usually sell for around £150, very rarely a bit less.

I'll be happy to double your money when you don't want it any more :).

• Sorry, that's what I meant - when I went to collect it he was already talking himself down from that - 'I won't take less than £25' and was really shocked I didn't haggle.

Ah, if she decides to trade it in for a Barbie I'll give you a shout :)