Guitar for child learner?

2»

Comments

• I got my daughter a Hello Kitty Strat and she loves it.

Wouldn't say she plays it very often, but she loves it still.

Got my boy a half size acoustic and he likes to strum along when i'm playing as well, plus I have an old late '80s / early '90s Squire Strat here that he can use when he is a bit bigger.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2354
    edited September 2013 tFB Trader
    My grandsons Ben and Zak were having guitar lessons but were finding the size of the necks and bodies of acoustics a bit big for there hand. This was putting them off playing so I built them the guitars in the photo below this has helped a lot and they are doing much better now. Plus the guitars are a bit more rock and roll than the acoustics guitars they had at school.

The next bit is a little off Topic but it might be of interest to any one looking for low end pickups

This was also a way of doing a like for like test of Iron Gear against Tonerider pickups. The following is part of post form UKGB that I did some time age so two things Oil City were not around and Axetec did not offer combination sets that they do now so bridge and neck pickups match. I've put the link to the post on UKGB at the end if you want to read the post in full.

The two guitars I built for my grandsons were built at the same time from the same woods but one was fitted with a set of Tonerider Generator TRH2 pickups and the other with a set of Iron Gear Hot Slag, on paper there are the same, that is the DC resistances of the bridge pickup is 16 K ohms both with Alnico V magnets. But when it came to the sound it was chalk and cheese. The Iron Gear does what it said on the box with high out put great harmonics really good clarity every thing you could ever need sound wise if you’re a metal head. Then back the volume off a bit and there sweeten up nicely with a really good clean sound. However the Tonerider bridge pickup was a real lemon the out put did not come any were near that of the Iron Gear, having said that it was a NICE sounding pickup a little bit mellow for a rock pickup but not really what a metal head would be looking for, it did have a very good clean sound but it took a lot of post gain and tone to get a dirty sound. There you have it two 16 K bridge pickups with Alnico V magnets that are completely different sound wise and out put.

The neck pickups again so different the Iron Gear out put was so high (15 K) its volume could not be balanced with the bridge pickup. But it is a great sounding pickup if a bit on the loud side, I think it could be use as a bridge pickup. The Tonerider neck pickup has some great sounds and at 8K balanced really well with its bridge pickup.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6914
    edited September 2013
    I've set aside my Patrick Eggle New York for my little un, should she decide to play. It's great for small hands but is a full size guitar. When I first got it years before we had our own child, the wife used to refer to it as the toy guitar as it is so dinky.

You occasionally see em cheap on EBay, might be worth considering. It is a UK instrument with a high quality of workmanship and a good range of sounds from the bridge bucker and neck single coil, he won't outgrow it in size but might as his tastes change.

It will retain its value though if you buy at the right price. Mine has very low wide frets which are easy to play as well.

Cheers
    Previously known as stevebrum