Advice on Solo Boost pedal please

2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72922
    TheCount said:
    Depends how much your amp is already driving I guess. Set up right it will still give you an increase in volume but if your all out of headroom it will just saturate, often in a nice way.
    When stacking od's into a valve amp I think of OD1 - OD2 - Pre - Power. If they all have headroom available then you can get a volume lift at any point, once one of the 4 has run out of headroom then you won't get any boost from anything before it, only more gain / saturation.
    That should be true, but in practice it doesn't quite work like that unless the thing that has run out of headroom is being driven so hard that it obscures everything that comes before. If whatever has run out of headroom isn't fully saturated, a TS-type overdrive (and especially the SD-1) will still boost volume too. My best guess is that it's to do with narrowing the frequency range and adding harmonics, but I'm not entirely sure - what I do know is that it works to a surprising extent even when the amp is overdriven.

On the other hand if you use a Marshall JCM900 on the lead channel with the gain full up, then a TS will not boost volume, as constantly baffles a friend of mine :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4787
    edited January 2015
    BBE Boosta Grand delivers up to a +20dB boost (I have the older larger one in orange but there's a new white one now that's compact pedal sized - both are otherwise exactly the same).  For a clean boost, put it in the FX loop.  Alternatively,  a simple 7-band EQ works wonders too and will typicallydeliver up to a +15dB boost - plus allow you to tone shape way beyond what your amp's on board EQ can do on its own.  Either can be used 'direct' but you may get some added distortion gain too, depending on settings.  Although intended for use with tube amps, I also use the BBEBG in the FX loop of my Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX and it works superbly.  Sometimes I'll use it as a boost for solo's, other times I'll leave it on to deliver a bigger, fuller tone.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    TheCount said:
    Funny, I was using an SD-1 into a dirty amp on NYE, when engaged the volume went up.........
    Depends how much your amp is already driving I guess. Set up right it will still give you an increase in volume but if your all out of headroom it will just saturate, often in a nice way.

Yep.

The amp I was using (Laney) was set with a medium gain level (More than crunchy), but not full-on metal gain. The SD-1 had everything set at 2oclock, volume, tone and dist, sounded fantastic.

I think had the amp's gain been much higher, then when the SD-1 was kicked in, the result would have been a squishy, compressed mess.  

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    ICBM said:
    That should be true, but in practice it doesn't quite work like that unless the thing that has run out of headroom is being driven so hard that it obscures everything that comes before. If whatever has run out of headroom isn't fully saturated, a TS-type overdrive (and especially the SD-1) will still boost volume too. My best guess is that it's to do with narrowing the frequency range and adding harmonics, but I'm not entirely sure - what I do know is that it works to a surprising extent even when the amp is overdriven.

Exactly, but you said it better than me >:D<
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    Can someone just confirm/clarify. When we talk of a volume boost etc we can't volume boost an already overdriving maxed out amp can we? I presume we need a fairly largish amp I.e. 20 watts plus at least ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72922
    Can someone just confirm/clarify. When we talk of a volume boost etc we can't volume boost an already overdriving maxed out amp can we? I presume we need a fairly largish amp I.e. 20 watts plus at least ?
    Depends how saturated and compressed the amp is. If it's not very, then you will still get a volume boost if you use the right pedal. That's what I've been trying to say :). It might also depend on how midrangy the amp is already - if it is, then a TS-type pedal will probably make little difference.

I know it sounds a bit counter-intuitive, but it really does work.

Possibly even more counter-intuitively, if you have a compressed midrangy amp and you run something like a Big Muff into it, even if the pedal is set to boost level, you can actually end up *reducing* the volume...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Wow, thanks guys.
  • For volume boost without adding dirt to the signal, an EQ pedal might be worth a try.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4787
    edited January 2015
    StageStruck;465251" said:
    For volume boost without adding dirt to the signal, an EQ pedal might be worth a try.
    I agree but its more effective in the fx loop where it doesn't add distortion. Going direct is ok up to certain levels but as soon as you raise the level a notch or so above halfway, it adds distortion. If you do use it direct with other pedals, it normally needs to be at the end of the chain for best results.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • handsomerikhandsomerik Frets: 1008
    edited January 2015
    I highly recommend the suhr koko boost. It has a clean boost as well as a mid boost to help you cut through. It sounds excellent and has way more boost than you could ever need.

If you want to spend less then I'd recommend the TC spark boost. It too has different options for boosting either flat response, mids or simply fattening the tone. Load of tone shaping and plenty of volume and gain on tap for solo boosts.

Remember you tube can be helpful for checking out demos.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2368
    I agree on the Koko. Best one out there for me. The thing about solos is that generally you don't want volume, but more mids. Koko gives you two approaches to achieving a boost
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1647

"I know it sounds a bit counter-intuitive, but it really does work."

I am sure you are right IC!

This is to me related to the fact that some amp/speaker combinations are reported as being much louder than others even tho' they might use the same valves and even pull the same juice from the mains.

All down to voicing and where in the gain chain things start to "squash". Speakers of course can have an enormous effect.

Dave.

• Thanks so much guys.  I had mailed the link to this discussion and the other one about eq ing on the Peavey Bandit.

This is the reply I just got.

"Wow!! that was a productive session! I've tweaked my amp a bit and it sounds better. I also put the EQ pedal last in line after the other 2 pedals. What a difference! the volume went up at least double from where it was before without any adjustment. Sorted"

Thanks again.  You guys Rock.