Oh Bugger.... Need advice

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8838
    Yes, keep it simple.  Push the wood back, glue and clamp it.  Forget any fancy ideas like sound ports.  Get a repair quote, and tell the insurers that you'd be happier with that than a replacement, which will inevitably be more expensive. Depending on your insurance excess, and the repair cost, and the effect on next years' premium, it might even be better not to make a claim
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16915

a sound port is (relatviely speaking) pretty easy.  But yeah, like any repair it needs to be done well to not look like a bodge,  it can be done really professionally

The main thing to check is internal support.   There may be an extra side support in this location and if there was i would remove it and add 2 new supports about an inch away from the new sound port.  I would then check the thickness and stability of the sides, possibly bending  a new backing peice to fit inside if I had any concerns.  Then once the port was cut I would rebind it matching the body scheme.  If all his was done carefully there wouldn't be any need to do any finish work other than on the new bit of binding.   As long as a sensible shape was chosen there is no reason for it to look like a bodge

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    If it's ply it will work in your favour in that it won't necessarily split down the grain and the damage will remain localised to the impact zone. If it were solid chances are the clock could have hit it and it caused the damage as well as splitting longways along the grain, thus making the damage actually worse than it looks now. Having said that, a crack along the grain is a common issue with acoustic guitars and any experienced luthier could easily fix it. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16915
    Hymnal said:
    If it's ply it will work in your favour in that it won't necessarily split down the grain and the damage will remain localised to the impact zone. If it were solid chances are the clock could have hit it and it caused the damage as well as splitting longways along the grain, thus making the damage actually worse than it looks now. Having said that, a crack along the grain is a common issue with acoustic guitars and any experienced luthier could easily fix it. 

you are right to mention other unseen damage with acoustics

Acoustics are designed to transfer vibrations and shock from a fall is transferred exactly the same way 

as an example -  A relitively small knock on the endpin can easily split the end block and loosen a few braces... but you might not see any damage on the outside

• I'm struggling to see why this constitutes a write-off? Kind of surprised that so many people are talking about replacements & the like rather than repairs? :\
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    I'm struggling to see why this constitutes a write-off? Kind of surprised that so many people are talking about replacements & the like rather than repairs? :\
    Not knowing how relatively cheap even a good repair on something like this can be, or sensing an opportunity to take the insurance company for a ride…?

I think a completely invisible repair is going to be very difficult, bordering on impossible - but a good, sound repair that either doesn't show too much or is deliberately visible is quite achievable.

Accidents happen. You don't need to write off a perfectly repairable guitar just because it's got a bit of damage in an area which won't affect the tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited January 2015
    Im perfectly open to repairs, but I need to be realistic to myself.  Im a sucker for cosmetic perfection (shame on me).  The look DOES matter to me, and anything that is obvious as a repair will drive me nutts.  If its invisible, or close I could live with it I guess, but it would need to be fairly inconspicuous.  Im guessing (and did from the start) that a repair that wouldnt end up with me either trying to sell, of just not playing the guitar would be impossible.  I guess im very shallow in that respect.

Id then need to look at the financial aspect, that is the cost of the repair itself, and the hit on any resale if I ended up not being able to live with it - and then balance that against the cost of a replacement.

I have no idea what a repair would cost.  For some people "relatively cheap" would be £100 or so - for others £300.  Cost of a suitable replacement/insurance write off is looking like  being £800 or so.  There are 3 instruments at that - including on used one (which Im not adverse to either, though cant find the same make/model around at present).  

From a pure financial perspective, given the general guide of anything over 50% of replacement cost isnt worth repairing - the overall cost of repair plus depreciating resale value should be no more than £400.   Ultimately though, if its possible to repair in that range - and the result blended in cosmetically enough Im up for it.
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    If back and sides are ply, this is probably a far eastern made silver series avalon..value about 250 stg...all avalons made in ireland are fully solid woods, and the gold series, which were farmed out to furch, are also fully solid. .
    If back and sides are ply, this is probably a far eastern made silver series avalon..value about 250 stg...all avalons made in ireland are fully solid woods, and the gold series, which were farmed out to furch, are also fully solid. .
    edited January 2015
    I know what it is, which is as you describe.  Cost new in 2003 was £650 iir.  Might have been £550 as memory is dim.  Used price isnt an issue, as its a new for old thing.  Its an equivalent new guitar, OR is thats not made the equivalent of the original cost in todays money.  Inflation Calculator shows £650 in 2003 is worth £920 today.  £550 is worth around £780.  Hence - whatever I get from insurance, Im looking at £800 or so for a replacement.

Something similarly spec'd ????  As per the thread.  The Faiths are all solid, so over spec'd.  The Taylor 214 is ply back/sides so is also similarly spec'd.  Finish isnt as nice on the Taylor, not is the sound.  Not sure if the build would be better either.  

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited January 2015
    My belief is that 'new for old' in the insurance company's eyes would be another 'reasonable' far-eastern guitar, such as a Faith.

I'm sure they would see going for something in the £800-£900 range as 'betterment' and would not pay out at that level. Their likely argument would be that a £500 guitar today is of similar quality to the damaged one. Given that the model you own is no longer available, it's a moot point as to what a 'suitable' new for old replacement is. They will probably go in 'specs' - rather than 'tone'....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    A Japanese-made Takamine might be close, too. Laminate back and sides, solid top, good electrics, very well made.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited January 2015
    My belief is that 'new for old' in the insurance company's eyes would be another 'reasonable' far-eastern guitar, such as a Faith.

I'm sure they would see going for something in the £800-£900 range as 'betterment' and would not pay out at that level. Their likely argument would be that a £500 guitar today is of similar quality to the damaged one. Given that the model you own is no longer available, it's a moot point as to what a 'suitable' new for old replacement is. They will probably go in 'specs' - rather than 'tone'....
    You are right of course,That was my exact thinking at the start of this escapade.  The Taylor 2 series fits the bill from a spec POV.  Same woods as mine, laminated back/sides as mine, off shore build .....  Thats the price point Im pushing for, though ultimately what will be settled is less obvious.

I wont be that happy if I get less than I actually paid for it though.  OK things move on re construction and prices come down ---- but inflation goes up.  Well see.  The noises Im getting from the powers are that £800 is possible, if I can link a guitar at that price with the same spec - regardless of where its built, so Im hopeful of a reasonable outcome.  

Ive linked to the Taylor, and Im sure there will be some negotiation around that.  There is the XS as well to come off whatever is agreed, so actual settlement will be lower anyway.

Ultimately, Ill probably take whats offered, then source a used guitar that fits my needs.  Ill get more for my money at least.
    Look at furch durango series as well.. id say they are cheaper than a 2 series taylor and they are real giant killers..