Wah again - Opinions of CryBaby 95Q please

I'm sort of on the lookout for a new wah, quite like the idea of auto on and off, and would prefer one with a buffer if poss, and don't really want anything as massive as a Morley or Weeping Demon.

One that seems to fit the requirements is the Crybaby 95Q.  The mechanical pot half puts me off, but plenty of people use a crybaby for years without problems.  Some people seem to think the buffer is rubbish and the "switchless" switching (sounds like it's a microswitch) is unreliable.

Anybody got any opinions for or against?
Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    If you can, stump up for the 535Q. It's the last wah you'll ever need.
  • Weeping demon junior?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2754
    I had a 95q for a while.   It worked fine and the switchless control was great.  It sounded like a crybaby so I switched back to using a tremonti wah after a couple of gigs.   The morley ones are bigger but I much prefer how they sound, if you like the sound of the crybaby then you'll be fine :)
  • Thanks folks:

@drew_fx That one's normal switching though rather than switchless isn't it?  Not that it matters that much, but I just fancy a switchless one this time.  There's a 95Q on ebay for £60, so seems worth a punt as long as they're not shit.

@theprettydamned Yes, that's another contender but they don't seem to come up for sale very much outside the usa.

@john_p My current wah is a Boss V-Wah modeller, which is permanently set to crybaby mode, so I suppose I must like crybaby sounds (I'm only thinking about changing it because I never use any of the other features, it's hard to turn on and off unless you're an elephant, and too easy to accidentally turn it to overdrive mode - but as a wah it sounds fine).  The other guitarist in my band uses a Morley Tremonti one, which does sound quite good, but is the size of an aircraft carrier.  Morley mini is a possibility if I came across one.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I've got one, the switchlessness is pretty handy.
  • Boom

Great sounds, instant on and built well by all accounts. 
    Yeah I'd seen that one...  was hoping for second hand in case I don't like it and decide to get rid of it...  afraid it might be a bit too modern sounding, whatever that is.  Somebody near me offered to let me have a try of his full-size Weeping Demon, but the junior has no control so it's a bit touch-and-go if it happens to sound how I like.  Although I do quite like the Morley ones, which are also quite modern I suppose.

My current wah is working fine so I'm in no real rush.  Still quite tempted by that 95Q on ebay though... if I don't like it I shouldn't lose much if anything.
    Thanks folks:

@drew_fx That one's normal switching though rather than switchless isn't it?  Not that it matters that much, but I just fancy a switchless one this time.  There's a 95Q on ebay for £60, so seems worth a punt as long as they're not shit.
    Yes you're right, sorry. Missed that requirement in my dozy haze. I've never liked the auto on auto off stuff tbh. Never seemed tight enough for me.
  • I think the auto-on would work well for me the way I use my wah.  Part of the annoyance is that my Boss wah takes a ridiculous amount of pressure to turn on or off (and not much to accidentally switch into some nasty overdrive modes), so one with a sensible on-off switch would still be an improvement TBH!
  • Even when stood up?

I've never used a Boss wah, but when I've had Crybaby's I've only ever found them annoying to switch on/off when I've been sat down.  When stood up I've always found it pretty easy to switch them on, though that might just be me being heavy lol.
    Tbh I don't think you can really compare the Boss wah to other wahs. The Boss one is pretty flaky and doesn't feel the same as the Crybaby's at all really.
  • I actually haven't had any reliability problems with my Boss wah, although I know they're not generally liked.  I got it cheap ages ago and it's been completely reliable - it's just got lots of pointless features I never use (because they're mostly shit, but the wah itself is fine).

Mine takes a massive amount of pressure to switch on/off - it may be that the switch is less sensitive than it should be but it's always been like it.  I actually have to lean forwards so most of my weight is on the wah foot to switch it, and I've missed quite a few switches because of it.  Perhaps I'm being too fussy looking for auto-on, and just a less heavy switch would be fine.  Other guitarist's Morley made me think it was a good idea.

Are the other crybabys like the 535Q buffered though?  Actually do I really need it buffered?...  the Boss wah is buffered, but my pedals are wah -> polytune mini -> marshall chorus -> carbon copy -> boss GE7, so the GE7 is presumably buffered - do I actually need one at the beginning as well with so few pedals?
    Yeah the 535Q is buffered. Whether you need it depends on your other pedals I suppose.

The 535Q it doesn't classically sound like a waka-waka wah - it sounds very synthy with certain settings, which is why I love it.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Yeah the 535Q is buffered. Whether you need it depends on your other pedals I suppose.

The 535Q it doesn't classically sound like a waka-waka wah - it sounds very synthy with certain settings, which is why I love it.
    Cool.  Pretty adjustable as well by the look of it.  On the other hand, I'd probably set it up how I like it and never move it again, so might be a bit overkill...
    Aye, but other wahs.... if you don't like the sound of them... you're pretty much boned. Probably worth popping into a shop and trying a few out.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Weeping demon junior?

Still around the same size as the Morley (IIRC)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Probably best.  I'm in no great rush as I said.  I'll see what local shops have got, and nose at other people's wahs at gigs :)

But thanks for the info - I didn't know any of the crybabys were buffered until I noticed the 95Q.
    I'm pretty sure all of the Crybaby's are buffered. Most Dunlop and MXR pedals are in fact.
  • mike_l said:
    Weeping demon junior?

Still around the same size as the Morley (IIRC)
    It's a fair bit narrower than the Morley Tremonti my band-mate uses (11cm vs 15cm I think)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72922
    Drew_fx said:
    I'm pretty sure all of the Crybaby's are buffered. Most Dunlop and MXR pedals are in fact.
    No, most aren't. Standard Cry Babys are not buffered - they're 'half bypass', which is the worst of all worlds really. (Really original ones are even worse than current ones, you can easily tell if you look inside and there are only two transistors instead of three.) The 535 (no Q) is definitely fully buffered, not 100% sure about the 535Q but I think it is.

Almost all MXRs are either true bypass or half-bypass, depending on model/age.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein