Another one of those "fill my gap" threads (pipe down randomfeetstomps!)

What's Hot

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    shady said:
    Rainbow Machine too chaotic, Superego too static eh?  Couldn't think where the middle ground would be there dude...aside from chorus/vibe/bi-phase thingy or another modulated delay, which you clearly don't need, this is gonna ruin my sleep.  Boss PS-6 has some weird shit going on as well as the usual pitch shift and whammy stuff, or have you had one as well?  
    Well the thing is with the SuperEgo, it just sustains. On its own it sounds kinda boring. You're right in that it really needs an effect in its FX-loop to get the best out of it. But I'm pretty limited for room and the SuperEgo would fill the gap... thus no room to put anything in its loop.

The Rainbow Machine does seem cool. Maybe it just needs more subtle settings.

That Z-Vex fuzz probe sounds terrible, lol! It's awesome... but not sure I'd use it.

Has anyone used the Red Panda Context Reverb? Sounds kinda basic at first, but if you crank the decay it starts to sound fantastique.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I suspect I'm going to need to put two pedals on there, one to do something on an amplitude level, and one to do something on a frequency level, and then have my Timebender coming afterwards.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I use the context, it's very deep. I like it a lot. Are you after an effect for ambience or something for straight up weird sounds? 

Hymnal said:
    I use the context, it's very deep. I like it a lot. Are you after an effect for ambience or something for straight up weird sounds? 

Honestly? I don't really know. I want something that can sit behind my guitar, slightly hidden, just filling it out with pad like sounds that are harmonically related to what I'm playing. 

I think it might be a case of: polyphonic pitch effect > 100% wet reverb with some modulation > Digitech Timebender.
    The context is good for an ambient wash under the signal, yes: but so are a lot of reverbs. Have you thought about something like the mr black eterna? Something for a pitch shifted reverb. Personally I think they sound corny but a lot of people dig them. If i were to go for an ambient reverb i'd go for a modulated deep reverb such as the mr black supermoon. The context is a great reverb but it isn't modulated. If you could find a modulated reverb with a tap tempo for the modulation that would be cool (though i don't know of such thing) especially if you play live, a non synced modulation would sound a bit naff. Are you aware of the walrus audio descent? Might tick a lot of boxes for you. 

For polyphonic pitch effects a POG is still the best in my opinion. Separate pitch and reverb effects would be the most flexible tbh, then you can have straight up octave for chunky riffing etc and straight up reverb or both together for pad sounds. 
    Do Pog's sound good in the effects loop when you're using gainy sounds from your amp? I confess, I've never used a Pog.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2368
    Have you considered something like the Harpeggiator on the Pitchfactor/H9. Adds some movement behind the instrument and is tied to what you're playing.
    Drew_fx said:
    Do Pog's sound good in the effects loop when you're using gainy sounds from your amp? I confess, I've never used a Pog.
    I couldn't easily answer that: i've never used one in the loop and I tend to get gain sounds from other pedals. it works well with gain though, Jack White uses one with a Big Muff to good effect. 
    An H9 is a great shout too, that way you can pull the best spacey type effects from the eventide algorythms, which are very good. I had an eventide space and it sounded good but flogged it because of patch changing latency and found the interface very awkward. The H9 looks to be much easier though. 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    How about a boss LS-2? You can blend your "polyphonic pitch effect > 100% wet reverb with some modulation > Digitech Timebender." with your normal guitar tone, letting it sit behind as much or as little as you want. you can also switch it off with a single step on the LS-2.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31066
    I have a phaser and 2 vibes for sale. You could put a tin of altoids there though

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    I have a phaser and 2 vibes for sale. You could put a tin of altoids there though
    Go back to TGP!!! Bloody Altoids! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    edited January 2015
    Drew_fx said:

I'd assume it would still track decently from what I remember - only ever tried mine with fuzz pedals though not an amp.  The main concern I guess would be headroom for line level (if you need that) and I can't answer that question off the top of my head. Here are some vids I remember watching a while back -

This is a bass, but it shows the Micro Pog before and after a distortion.

And another with a big muff before the micro pog.  Both on from 25 seconds.  Annoyingly the guy isn't really playing chords, but big muffs sound pretty messy even on single notes with higher settings.

The POG 2 is basically the same thing with more options, so if the Micro POG tracks well enough the big one should too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2015
    Wow. Kind of obvious really, but the Pog sounds so much better before the distortion than it did after the distortion. So I probably wouldn't really like it in the loop anyway. So I think a Pog is out. Coz I'm really looking for stuff I can combine with the Digitech Timebender, and have it all post-amp distortion.
  • Drew_fx said:
    Wow. Kind of obvious really, but the pog sounds so much better before the distortion than it did after the distortion.

I agree.  I think it would be a compromise in that position, especially given you prefer most effects before distortion.

I know it isn't interesting in the same way... but have you considered something like the TC Shaker Vibrato?

You can latch that on/off with your foot, even set a ramp up speed IIRC.  Never tried one in the loop but I think all the TC pedals do ok there.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7965
    edited January 2015
    I guess you could try it out using the FX on the Kemper first and see if it gives you anything to work with.
    I guess you could try it out using the FX on the Kemper first and see if it gives you anything to work with.
    Good point actually! I hadn't really thought of doing that. Use the Kemper to see what effects I actually like after the amp distortion... and.... I can do it with my actual amp profiles!
  • It's a Boss HF-2 that's missing there obviously.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Not a bad call. Or even the BF-2B which sounds pretty similar (and has a less camp colour scheme).

Not a bad call. Or even the BF-2B which sounds pretty similar (and has a less camp colour scheme).
    Nah, I think the HF-2 says "Yeah, I'm secure enough to pull off lilac!", whereas the BF-2 can come over as a bit homophobic man's purple.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom