Hotone British Invasion Amp - review, issues and now perfect!

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    impmann said:
    Ok we've now tested it with a proper regulated power supply. The result - no background hum at all. Using the same guitar and the supplied PSU, the him is back.

So now to find a stand alone power supply for it that is silent, commercially available etc.

Good news then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12697
    Yes, indeed.

I will be feeding back to the supplier, to GAK and to the manufacturer - as the supplied power supply is not fit for purpose (I use that term advisedly - as the amp is marketed as a 'recording amp' and the supplied PSU is too noisy for use in recording).

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12009
    How much is that regulated power supply that you used cost?
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9723
    edited January 2015

Good work @impmann.

I'm guessing he used a bench power supply, heavy, bulky and expensive.

• This is good news, in that it's a fixable problem. Thanks for the research!
    Yes, the bench power supply I used is a good old Thurlby Bench Power supply like this one:

Probably worth more than the amp!! :-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • That is good news as I am very interested in getting one of these, you'll have to let us know if you do find a supply that is useable!

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1280
    impmann said:

So now to find a stand alone power supply for it that is silent, commercially available etc.

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/1521680/22843141/0/1312948419/18V_AA_2000mAh_NiMH_Rechargeable_Battery_Pack.jpg :-)

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    Hah! Thats not a bad idea! ;-)

• hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    There's a million 18v power supplies available but I have no way of knowing whether they'll be quiet or not. Is there anything in particular to look for in the specs?

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/3/18v-power-supply

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1280
    Would putting a whacking great (relatively speaking) capacitor across the original PSU help?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Possibly - but really, I'd like the manufacturer to address this.

I have written to the manufacturer, the distributor and the supplier (one mail), explaining the situation and that hum is clearly an issue on all of these amps (watch Youtube). I've explained the testing I have done and I have suggested that the power supply unit is too noisy - and I have requested a replacement (not another power supply of the same type - as that isn't going to cure this issue). 

This is a killer product - truly epic sounding apart from the hum. I think the manufacturer should investigate this as a rolling quality improvement - as it was utterly silent with the bench supply, so with a quality power supply this thing would be wonderful.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Well. I'm very impressed...

I've had a reply from the CEO of Hotone. Apparently they are aware of hum issues on early deliveries of these amps (he thinks this is one of those), as there *is* an issue with the power supply. He offered to replace the power supply free of charge with a revised one, which he says cures the problem. Sadly, I wasn't able to take him up on his offer to meet at Frankfurt Messe (I'm not going with work this year) and collect the new PSU in person but he's asked the UK distributor to sort it out for me.

It just goes to prove that if you contact the manufacturer and are polite, courteous and give them proper feedback, a good company will welcome that input and do something about the problem.

Go Hotone! :-)

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Wowzers, great response from them.
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    So, does this mean it's better to wait until the ones with the dodgy power supply have been sold before I try one out? They're £89 for G4M VIP members by the way, I saw them today.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1685
    Could you the OUT from the FX loop and stick it into something like an EHX 44 Magnum and have a gigging amp?
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4292
    edited January 2015

sounds awesome
  • I have a couple of these kicking around. Link 2 to make an 18V feed with the supplied cable.

Isolated outs so should be fine

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_powerplant_junior.htm
    To conclude on this - I have now got one of the updated power supplies from the distributor. And it's TOTALLY solved the hum issues.

So now I have a stupendous home recording amp that has great AC30-like characteristics and zero background noise. I love it - and would heartily recommend one to anyone. Both the distributor and the manufacturer have been greatly supportive and have really gone the extra mile to sort this out for me.

Buy one. They are great. But they are even better with the new power supply.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • So will the ones in stock at shops have the old noisy adapter still?