GuitarSlinger

What's Hot
What happened to him (Mark H) - is he still on here under a different name? Could have sworn I mailed him many months ago..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    I don't know why but when I read GuitarSlinger I could hear Faith No More's "Jizzlobber" playing in my head.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Let's hope he's not sitting around doing that lol..
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15590
    I see him around on facebook,dunno if he made it here.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Nice guy. I met him once when we went halves on some gear.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited January 2015
    @Thomasross20 Tiggs, you need to remember your underscores!

Look: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/profile/192/Guitar_Slinger

According to his profile, he was on here yesterday, so let's summon him and see if he'll stick his head in: @Guitar_Slinger  

EDIT: It would help with this sort of thing if this forum had a memberlist.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Mentalist? There's a few.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Aha, thank you!!
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited January 2015
    Hey, nice to see you again Tom. I did wonder how you were doing and can't listen to two GnR songs without remembering we played them at GASfests. Them were the days \m/
  • I made it across here when @jalapeno sent me a facebook message, but don't spend that much spare time using either of the fbs lately.

Before I finished my part-time degree in 2008, it was easier to fanny about at work and spend time on music radar. Since the recession, I've changed jobs a few times and am trying to earn my money these days. The downside I that my Photoshop skills are a bit rusty and I don't even use Photoshop for work anymore.
  • *snip* I typed something long-winded about IGF, but the short version is that I Last did it in 2010. */snip*

Two things reduced my GAS. Firstly, when I interviewed John Wheatcroft for my dissertation, he mentioned people owning lots of books, magazines & DVDs but not being able to play the stuff in them (owning the TAB as a substitution for bothering to learn something). I thought "that's me" and shifted half the stuff from my spare room at a guitar show.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Secondly, my wife had a baby who's now 3 and lives in the room my gear used to be in.

There are other things that have happened, but they're for another time.

What have you been up to? Last I remember was that you'd invented something that could potentially revolutionise the job you were working in. And something about Germany.

Speaking of which, thanks to @DLM for mentioning me - I got an email from the fretboard.
  • P.S. for the mods - sorry for typing in so many posts. I was pasting a response into IE on my Windows phone (Nokia Lumia) and it will only ever post the first paragraph of my post. The rest is intermittent and has happened before. NOW I remembered why I'm not on here that often!
  • Hey!! I'm just about to drive to work but will reply in detail later! Great to hear from you though! Did you see their a guitar show at end of Feb? I'm thinking about it. Get my pm? That was great fun. Get back to you a little later :)
  • Yeah. Got your PM but haven't watched the video yet (browsing with my phone).

I'm going to the guitar show, hope to see you there and will buy you lunch I you make it.
  • Nice!! That'll make up for the train fare. OK, I'll see if I can go and maybe bring one of my new guitars.

You know, those GASFEST/IGF days were amazing for me (remember seeing Paul Gilbert?). I played so much then, recorded so many songs, met so many new people - then it all dropped off a little. I thought your degree was in business (but if you were interviewing John, was it in music?) - you were working for the RAF/MoD or something? So what is it exactly you're doing now?

I was doing an engineering doctorate but didn't like it so quit and got an MSc (so technically have two Masters degrees) - changed company a few times. Now designing high-voltage motor drivers and the like for cars and that sort of thing. I did do good work on some things but never quite changed the world :) I've had the chance to move to a few countries (Germany being my fave) but couldn't make the move without marrying the girlfriend, but wasn't ready for that, so all on hold.

Good point about having all those books. I have many and have worked through some, but nothing beats just playing songs, learning what they're about, getting in a band and working on theory/technique. Just doing it! It's one thing to hear an anecdote like that from John and other thing to act on it - so I assume you're really progressing now!

Congrats on the baby! Your first?

Keep in touch - really good to hear from you!! And keep posting... and I'll see about coming to the guitar show :)
  • I did a Business and Information Systems degree. The title of my dissertation was something like "Can information systems replace a human when learning to play the electric guitar?" I'll tell you what else I've been up to at the guitar show.

BTW about the underscore... It's guitar_slinger because otherwise somebody could read it guitars linger. Round about the same registering for the forum, I remember something about bad URL choices - http://www.boredpanda.com/worst-domain-names/
  • Haha, that's very true regarding the name choice!
    Awesome - I hope to make it to the show 8)
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Guitar_Slinger said:
    Speaking of which, thanks to @DLM for mentioning me - I got an email from the fretboard.

Glad to help! :)

Guitar_Slinger said:

Two things reduced my GAS. Firstly, when I interviewed John Wheatcroft for my dissertation, he mentioned people owning lots of books, magazines & DVDs but not being able to play the stuff in them (owning the TAB as a substitution for bothering to learn something).

Oi, I resemble that remark, too! :( I often think about it, but if I didn't have the mags and TAB I'd be able to do even less on the guitar, so I'll not be offloading my library unless I end up with no space for it (it's been boxed up for over a year now after a house move and I haven't managed to sort out shelving to make individual issues accessible again).

• John's comment was more about people who had stuff (including the mags Future pit out) bit when asked to play something from their library, couldn't. As if owning the dots on paper was the same as being able to play it, without bothering to learn to play anything.

About a year after, he asked for a transcription of the interview, which was the basis of the GT article called something like Ultimate Practice Routine. I think there's a PDF of it on the internet somewhere.