Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The "Jeepers I didn't know he could play like that' thread

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Here's one of Edge's that I always loved (Bullet the Blue Sky live - solo at 2:10):

And then there's Glen campbell - even as an oul fella. With that voice easy to forget his history as a session guitarist. See this recentish Jools performance from 2:15:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    I'll add three names to the list that may be unknown to readers of a newer vintage.

Sacha Distel - Mr "Raindrops Keep Falling On My 'Ead" was a demon jazz guitarist.

On NYE I went to a local pub for a meal with some friends. There was a band, the bassist and drummer are regulars at the jam nights at the Three Wishes in Edgware. A few years back their guitarist for the night was Del Mandel, who played on George Harrison's demos for All Things Must Pass, among other things. Gobsmacked doesn't come close.

This year's guitarist was Alan Warner, who was in the Foundations in the 60s. He had a Strat, a little Mesa/Boogie Combo, and tone from the gods. I upset several people by shushing them when he was playing, but music that good should legally be entitled to hushed awe on the part of those gathered.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8104
    Did people REALLY not already think Lindsay Buckingham and Edge were outstanding guitarists???
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Joan Armatrading ... cool Anderson guitar ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    TimmyO said:
    Did people REALLY not already think Lindsay Buckingham and Edge were outstanding guitarists???
    I've always associated The Edge with simple parts, and massive amounts of delay.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Me.  I can tear it right up. 

Like, if you don't mind bum notes, mis-picks and terrible timing. 

I guess I'm in the Lil Wayne camp. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    I'd not heard Soma before, very nice.
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    I do love that Edge solo on Bullet the Blue Sky. Some of the sols's on the earlier stuff are fantastic, they fit the songs perfectly. Some great stuff on Achtung Baby too.
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    redrighthand;482627" said:

And then there's Glen campbell - even as an oul fella. With that voice easy to forget his history as a session guitarist. See this recentish Jools performance from 2:15:

+1 for Glen Campbell. I saw him in Croydon about 5 years ago. He had to keep asking the rest of the band what key they were playing in, but once he started play wow.
  • TimmyO said:

Clearly.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    I used to watch Glen Campbell's TV show in the '70s. All his guitars (including electrics) were Ovations - which may be why I have a soft-spot for them - Glen Campbell was clearly too good to play rubbish!

He seemed very old, very unrock and roll - and very good.

Definitely a massive talent.