Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cricket terminology - a bit strange.

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
Cricket terminology is largely incomprehensible to the outsider. I just read this live report on BBC sport: "Stuart Broad may be the senior pace bowler in this England XI, but he's not taking the new ball at either end as Steven Finn is handed the second over. Like Woakes, he has two slips in, but he has Finch driving and missing at one that nips back off the seam and sails between bat and pad. However, after five dot balls, Finn strays onto the pads and is punished as Finch unerringly guides it for four through mid-wicket."
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    axisus said:
    Cricket terminology is largely incomprehensible to the outsider.
    Yes, but the rest of us can picture the action from reading that passage :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Cricket terminology is largely incomprehensible to the outsider. I just read this live report on BBC sport: "Stuart Broad may be the senior pace bowler in this England XI, but he's not taking the new ball at either end as Steven Finn is handed the second over. Like Woakes, he has two slips in, but he has Finch driving and missing at one that nips back off the seam and sails between bat and pad. However, after five dot balls, Finn strays onto the pads and is punished as Finch unerringly guides it for four through mid-wicket."

Ask the average cricketer whether he favours true or relayed bypass pedals in his signal chain when trying to maintain sonic purity and check the response. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I actually understood every word of that, and I wouldn't call myself a big cricket fan. If test match highlights are on I'll watch them, but only if I remember.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Cricket on the radio sitting outside with a nice beer, cigar and a good book is one of life's simple pleasures for me. Reading that back I feel old!

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:

Ask the average cricketer whether he favours true or relayed bypass pedals in his signal chain when trying to maintain sonic purity and check the response. 
    Please don't start mixing Cricket with Guitar Pedals or we'll end up with Graham Goop!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    I understand it! Haven't watched cricket for years but obviously have an understanding of the basics.

Sports commentary is a real art - unfortunately there are some really bad commentators around. Sky sports darts springs to mind...

Anyway here's a classic snooker line...

" Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."

Any more Classic lines out there?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    I miss test match cricket on the tele. Man, you could lose a whole summer to that.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Lixarto said:
    axisus said:
    Cricket terminology is largely incomprehensible to the outsider.
    Yes, but the rest of us can picture the action from reading that passage :)
    Have to agree ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    VimFuego said:
    I miss test match cricket on the tele. Man, you could lose a whole summer to that.
    Wiz. Many happy hours spent doing exactly that. The last truly exciting test I saw on TV was the '05 Ashes series with Flintoff bowling what I believe to be the best few overs of his career. Edge of seat type stuff: excellent! 
  • Along with Golf this is surely one of the most boring sports devised by man. Needs it's own language to make it seem interesting.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    What about croquet?

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited January 2015
    "The batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey."

• Since cricket is shit, it doesn't worry me that I can't understand the lingo.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    axisus said:

Buffered. Next question please.....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

edited January 2015
    axisus said:

And, these is daily expressions....I can't fathom why you'd not understand it. (as an aside, I find a lot of Cricinfo commentry hilarious due to the fact they've not really played so they use spectator's expressions not player's expressions.)

As Sir Geoff Boycott would say when in France.... "Jette dans le couloir d'uncertitude..."

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    It's simple really:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    It's simple really:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

Paraphrased, you bought a tea-towel from the Lords Shop.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Cricket seems irrelevant - then you get John Arlott on Apartheid.

"It is political commitment and political belief that can make a man think that his opponent's views are so obnoxious that he will abstain from playing any game with him as a protest against what the other man believes," he said. "Any man's political commitment, if it is deep enough, is his very personal philosophy and it governs his whole way of life, it governs his belief, and it certainly governs the people with whom he is prepared to mix."
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I honestly couldn't imagine my life without playing cricket.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Heartfeltdawn said: Ask the average cricketer whether he favours true or relayed bypass pedals in his signal chain when trying to maintain sonic purity and check the response. 
    What pedals?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."