Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me a good studio album (Metallica)

What's Hot
ROOGROOG Frets: 567
Dipping my toe into the music of Metallica, are there any must have studio albums I should consider to hear the real them?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets. That'd do for the earlier stuff. The Black album is the turning point, and whilst more commercial it is a cracking album.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1004
    edited January 2015
    I'd start with Master of Puppets
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

Avoid the above at all costs.

I'd start with The Black Album and work your way back :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    Right'o off to see what the damage is. Thanks for your guidance chaps

Personally I like to pretend the band ceased recording after the Black Album.

It helps me avoid the disappointment of their later offerings.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Master of Puppets

Ride the Lightning

The Black Album

And Justice for all (despite the shite mix/production)

Death Magnetic/Kill Em All

There, in some sort of order.

Load/reload are average at best.

St anger - avoid like your life depends on avoiding. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I like load/reload but theyre not really metal, more like heavy blues rock ala clutch.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    If I wanted to listen to heavy blues rock I wouldn't pick up a Metallica album.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • i actually quite like the production on st anger despite general consensus. that said, i'm not in any way a metallica fan so ignore me!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    If you only ever had the Black album it would be a good thing to have but i agree with the others..........

Master of Puppets as well !
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Load and Justice.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I'm a huge Metallica fan and the admin of the Metallica Facebook group. I think one of the reasons Metallica are still going strong today is the fact that their style has constantly evolved over the years, and they are not afraid to cross boundaries set by genres or the expectations of their fans. The only thing that is important to them is to write music that feels right for them at the time.

I enjoy listening to all their albums but appreciate them in their own individual ways. The albums can be roughly divided into 3 distinct "eras" as follows:

The thrash era - starting from their debut album kill em all and ending with the black album, this is the "classic" all out metal-up-your-ass, mosh till you drop Metallica that most people know and love. Some of their greatest technical compositions are created in this period culminating in their masterpiece "...and Justice For All"

The Load era - Covering the 2 Load albums and the covers album Garage inc., this period marks a dramatic change in direction for Metallica. The pace of the songs take a well deserved rest and the lyrics take a dive into the deepest and darkest corners of James' heart. These are some if the most personal and emotional songs he has ever written, and it's a chance for him to come to terms with and expel a lot of the demons he has kept bottled up since childhood.

The modern era - starting with St. anger and going all the way to the present day, this is the new sound of Metallica. A mix of old and new, with a sprinkling of something different, but with the same attitude and conviction they've always shown. These songs mark a new start for them and focus mainly on the present, inspired by the tumultuous relationship between the band members, but also closing some old wounds.

Anyway, enough with their back history, now for my recommendations. My favourite Metallica album, which of course implies my favourite album of all time, is ...and Justice For All. I call it the Mozart symphony 41 of metal. It is the pinnacle of technical and compositional genius. Closely following is the Load album. I find myself completely immersed in the emotion and lyrics, and can identify with a lot if the songs' subjects. After those 2 will probably be Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets, i.e the classics. But like I said, each and every album is worth listening to for their own reasons.

I wish you a safe journey, it's going to be a wild ride!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

One of my all time top running songs!

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you @maynehead, and others who responded. I agree that most successful artists bring their followers with them as they develop. Not withstanding, I like to know where they come from, so I recon start at the beginning and work forward. I am a bit embarrassed that I missed em the first time around.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    Puppets - Genre defining... Then listen to some Reign in Blood and Peace Sells.... that's my late teens in audio.

Justice is also better than it's reputation implies imo.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

The biggest problem with Justice is the production, IE lack of bass.

Live, with a bass the songs are absolute monsters.

• RockerRocker Frets: 5110
    The Black album, then Master of Puppets......
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Rocker said:
    The Black album, then Master of Puppets......
    Cheers, this is now the plan of action :0)

• mike_l said:

The biggest problem with Justice is the production, IE lack of bass.

Live, with a bass the songs are absolute monsters.

This is the troof. 

Cracking songs on this. One is a masterpiece.