Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me a good studio album (Metallica)

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    Maynehead said:
    If you want to listen to master, listen to master! They've been there and done that, they neither can nor want to do another one. The reason why Metallica still exists today is because they never chase the past, but look to the present, and make music they feel the need to make.

A lot of "fans" say St. Anger is the worst album they ever made, but I say it's the most important album they ever made. Without it they probably would have broken up back in 2002. It was a way for them to release and deal with their anger and frustration. That's why it sounds the way it does and it fulfilled their needs perfectly.

Instead of treating it as a failed master of puppets, next time you are feeling down and pissed off, try listening to St Anger again. It might be something of an epiphany.

The St Anger album sound is shite. They provided their own proof with the DVD rehearsal that came with it. That was far superior.

The songs still sucked balls, but at least it sounded competent.

The snare drum on St Anger (Cd) is one of the biggest crimes in music. It sounds like someone vomiting ball bearings into a metal dustbin.

I love Metallica, I really do. I bought KEA in 1986 and got ever release I could. They really were the soundtrack of my teenage years.

But IMHO the greatest metal cd of all time is still Rust In Peace.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    mike_l;483560" said:
    Not a bad call Chilli.Mindcrime 1 or Empire to start.
    Queen of the Ryche!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Reverend said:
    mike_l;483560" said:
    Not a bad call Chilli.Mindcrime 1 or Empire to start.
    Queen of the Ryche!

Agreed.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Indeed. Saw them on the "Warning" tour supporting Dio. Awesome.

And since a few times, plus doing Mindcrime 1 & 2 back to back in the U.S.

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Reverend said:
    The bass was all but removed, to allow for Lars' snare sound. I'd love to hear the album mixed properly.

Ride The Lightning is probably their best, followed closely by KEA and MoP.
    ...And Justice for Jason

My god. AWESOME. 

And shit the bed, I always forget just how damn great Hetfield is. Just the most amazing rhythm player. 
    I need to rip it for a CD burn.

What's a good app for that?
    I like deturl.com
    No need to use an app, all done in the website
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Maynehead said:
    If you want to listen to master, listen to master! They've been there and done that, they neither can nor want to do another one. The reason why Metallica still exists today is because they never chase the past, but look to the present, and make music they feel the need to make.

A lot of "fans" say St. Anger is the worst album they ever made, but I say it's the most important album they ever made. Without it they probably would have broken up back in 2002. It was a way for them to release and deal with their anger and frustration. That's why it sounds the way it does and it fulfilled their needs perfectly.

Instead of treating it as a failed master of puppets, next time you are feeling down and pissed off, try listening to St Anger again. It might be something of an epiphany.

The St Anger album sound is shite. They provided their own proof with the DVD rehearsal that came with it. That was far superior.

The snare drum on St Anger (Cd) is one of the biggest crimes in music. It sounds like someone vomiting ball bearings into a metal dustbin.

I love Metallica, I really do. I bought KEA in 1986 and got ever release I could. They really were the soundtrack of my teenage years.

I actually think the snare sound fits well with the vibe of the album. It's not like if you changed the snare it will suddenly start sounding like classic Metallica. It's a complete departure to their earlier sound and if you are expecting it to sound like it you will be disappointed.

I don't think their live performances of st anger songs sound "better", they just sound more "normal" with their regular snare and added solos. For me I don't get the same feeling I get when listening to the album, when normally the live versions are just as good if not better.

I guess I'm just one of the (very?) few who happen to like every album.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    Ok done a bit of listening and ordered the black and puppet CDs, yeah I'm a bit old fashioned.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    Maynehead said:
    Maynehead said:

I actually think the snare sound fits well with the vibe of the album. It's not like if you changed the snare it will suddenly start sounding like classic Metallica. It's a complete departure to their earlier sound and if you are expecting it to sound like it you will be disappointed.

I don't think their live performances of st anger songs sound "better", they just sound more "normal" with their regular snare and added solos. For me I don't get the same feeling I get when listening to the album, when normally the live versions are just as good if not better.

I guess I'm just one of the (very?) few who happen to like every album.

The snare certainly fits the quality of the rest of it.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ROOG said:
    Ok done a bit of listening and ordered the black and puppet CDs, yeah I'm a bit old fashioned.

A wise choice! Great albums to get into Metallica and a great platform to discover their other works from.

As a side I'd also recommend their S&M album. It's basically a "greatest hits" album, performed live along side the San Francisco symphony orchestra. It's got a selection of the best songs from the old and the new, and if it wasn't for the video you'd never tell it was recorded live. They played the whole 2.5 hour set note perfect.

Also check out Garage Inc. it's a double album of covers of their favourite bands, Metallica style. \m/

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Lixarto said:
    Load and Justice.
    You churn out alot of nonsense, but recommending Load is up there with your best!

I'd echo the shout on S&M, love that album.

• But IMHO the greatest metal cd of all time is still Rust In Peace.

I'm not big into metal or Megadeth but that album truly is AMAZING. 
  • Even though I fear that people may throw objects at me I am going to say... I like Load/Re-Load. 

I prefer their less thrashy stuff.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Yeah S&M. I get chills from that cowboy film song. Can't remember it's name. Then straight in to Puppets, awesome.
    My V key is broken
    Even though I fear that people may throw objects at me I am going to say... I like Load/Re-Load. 

I prefer their less thrashy stuff.

Yeah, I'm going throw stuff at you... here's a wisdom, catch!

holnrew said:
    Yeah S&M. I get chills from that cowboy film song. Can't remember it's name. Then straight in to Puppets, awesome.
    You mean Ecstasy of Gold straight into Puppets via a very very long intro called the Call of Ktulu? :P
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    thomasross20;483826" said:
    fretmeister said:

It isn't even in my top ten metal albums for 1990.
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    Reverend said:
    thomasross20;483826" said:
    fretmeister said:

It isn't even in my top ten metal albums for 1990.
    I'm not surprised.  Warrant released their Cherry Pie LP in 1990 and I'm guessing that fills every spot in your top ten.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Another vote for Black Album followed by Master Of Puppets, probably controversially I'd have Death Magnetic in at third. Tbh I like all the albums and have a real soft spot for the band in general
    All practice and no theory
  • n3pn3p Frets: 38
    The correct answer is Rust in Peace ;)
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited January 2015
    Typical Metallica fans ;-)

"I feel betrayed, why can't they just do another Master of Puppets album"
    "I know, I haven't listened to them since James got his hair cut, I mean how could he do that to us"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Lixarto said:
    Load and Justice.
    You are a very wise gentleman, and recommending Load is up there with your best!
    You suddenly seem cleverer than usual.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom