Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

James Blunt being a legend again.

What's Hot

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    Legend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8092
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Ah ha .. Chris Bryant is a twat .. Cheltenham Boys School (Private), Oxford University and the Church of England for training in the priesthood where he got another degree in theology. He was also a member of the Tory party. I think there's more diversity in the music industry than Parliament ... MPs seem to be private educated, Oxbridge types who've never had a job and who live in cuckoo land. Now how do we change that?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • The most ridiculous thing about Bryant's original complaint is it goes to show how little he knows about a sector he is supposed to overlook.  My wife's oldest friend is the manager of a Glastonbury headliner who are indeed (as are many) part of a flood of rich kids who can afford to buy their way into the industry, such is the pressure on studios and labels not to take risks of financing unknown talent.  James Blunt, despite his Harrow (boarding school LOL) is not one.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    This has now made up my mind for me, from now on, i'm going to be from a privileged background.  It makes sense really and i'm unsure why i didn't do this from the very start. I .... a fool.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3871
    I'm now inclined to purchase a James Blunt poster, kick out the wife, and put said poster on the bedroom wall.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    I think Oasis were the last truly working class band to make it big. Blunt's letter is good though.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Toff fight! Lock them in a cage and give them knives
    All practice and no theory
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    i like him as a person and his stance in matters like this, i can't however bring myself to like his music

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I'm not a fan of James Blunt's music, and he did seem to overdo the 'stopping WW3' thing a bit (although he may well have been joking), but he seems a fairly decent bloke really. I'd quite like to see Chris Bryant call him posh to his face, too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's obviously something that upsets Labour although the irony is lost on them .. how many working class people are there in the shadow cabinet?

And older article .. http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2011/02/01/the-toff-takeover-of-british-pop-it-has-to-stop/

• If I liked popcorn I'd get some
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3074
    Chris Bryant names Blunt then flaps away Blunt's criticism with "Oh, I wasn't talking about you." No, you were just forming a stereotype based on who you thought Blunt was. Twat. 
  • Fretwired said:
    Ah ha .. Chris Bryant is a twat .. Cheltenham Boys School (Private), Oxford University and the Church of England for training in the priesthood where he got another degree in theology. He was also a member of the Tory party. I think there's more diversity in the music industry than Parliament ... MPs seem to be private educated, Oxbridge types who've never had a job and who live in cuckoo land. Now how do we change that?
    A 2014 survey by the SMCP commision which said 33% of MPs were privately educated. I would imagine the music industry to be similar with that figure going up for classical music which is dominated by private schooled persons. 

• You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    Bryant's an ever bigger twat. An extract:

I’m delighted you’ve done well for yourself. But it is really tough forging a career in the arts if you can’t afford the enormous fees for drama school, if you don’t know anybody who can give you a leg up, if your parents can’t subsidise you for a few years whilst you make your name and if you can’t afford to take on an unpaid internship.

Bryant offers no ideas .. scholarships for talented kids from poorer backgrounds to go to music and drama schools might be an idea.

Another Labour class war rant that's backfired.

• I think Oasis were the last truly working class band to make it big. Blunt's letter is good though.

Arctic Monkeys perhaps?

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited January 2015
    Don't you mean "James Blunt being a knob-end again"

Chris Bryant is right. If only he'd actually do something about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited January 2015

Fretwired said:
    how many working class people are there in the shadow cabinet?

I was actually genuinely curious about this  as it's had got to the point where I would have said there were merely a few token working class bods in there.  I was quite surprised that the number of those shadow cabinet minister from what most would deem 'not typically working class backgrounds' was actually this low.  Obviously people's interpretations of what working class or privileged entails varies, but out of 27 ministers listed as being in the cabinet, these are the ones who most may consider non-traditional Labourists.

• Harriet Harmon daughter of a solicitor and a Harley St doctor & privately educated
    • Ed Balls son of a Zoologist & privately educated
    • Douglas Alexander son of a CoS Minister and a doctor & privately educated
    • Chuka Umunna son of a solicitors and grandson of a high court judge & privately educated
    • Tristram Hunt son of Meteorologist Baron Hunt of Chesterton & privately educated

So just over 81% of Labour's current cabinet come from working class roots and/or are state educated.

Not trying to prove anything, was just sating my curiosity whilst waiting for my cuppa to cool.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    Kasabian aren't posh and seem to class themselves as working class having very few paper qualifications between them.