Do I Boogie or not

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBM said:
    I think it's a very misunderstood amp and *far* more versatile than its reputation suggests. Most people probably haven't ever found out what it can do because they think it's just a nu-metal buzz/boom box. Not at all.

I believe Lee Ritenour has used Dual Recs before (I remember seeing them on the stage) stunning sound and guitar player

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    edited January 2015
    I've got one of the less popular ones - a Stiletto Ace 2x12 combo.

I got it as an alternative recording amp to my AC30. Didn't really have any GAS for it, didn't have an excited honeymoon period, I just wanted an amp that'd do more modern sounding distortion. Somehow, 4 months later I realized it's the amp I'm using the most which really surprised me. Very impressed with it.
  • Getting a little more interested in the Tremoverb.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    Spotted a Trem-o-verb head for sale in Bristol just last week end, I decided not to ask how much just in case I was tempted!

• prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    Mmmm. Tremoverb.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8561
    edited January 2015
    Whilst Boogie cleans are nice, I still associate them with driven tones of the cascading gain variety (in various flavours), so if you're a prodominately clean player they're are other options that would be more "fit for purpose", I.e. Your not spending money on functions you'll never likely use.

The new Michael Landau Fender Hot Rod Deville, for example, looks like a great clean platform and will be plenty loud enough.
  • All great amps. They are loud and you really need to understand how the tone stack works - totally different to other amps. The Electradyne is an awesome amp just not in the UK. If you get one go second hand. All combos are heavy too. The ED is the only amp I regret selling. Absolutely brilliant at what it does. Shame they discontinued it. 

• CacofonixCacofonix Frets: 356
    edited January 2015
    I have two. Nomad and Stiletto Deuce. Until I got my two Rock for power and portability the Nomad was my do everything amp. May need re-potting if you get one but Mesa will send you a full set for free. Lone Stars are great sounding. LSS somewhat less so but still great. Nomad is in the LSS camp sound-wise. Or at least the 45 is.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31047
    I'll probably be shouted down for saying this but I've always loved the Studio 22 and you can grab them for £450 ish on Evilbay...great studion/small gig amp and easy to dial in tones due to the EQ on it...

Don't get the bloody Egnator- I tried one- hopeless thing. (IMO, of course!)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• matt1973matt1973 Frets: 386
    edited January 2015
    I've heard lots of good things about the Studio 22.

I've owned a Mk1 15", a Rev F 2ch dual rectifier solo head, a Maverick, an Electradyne and a Mk IIB. Never had a problem with any of them. They all sounded good. They were all heavy compared to other manufacturers models.

I can also concur with ICBM that a Dual Rec is far, far more than a Nu Metal / grunge amp.