Speakers for a Plexi 50w

What's Hot
thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
Just wondering what speakers you guys prefer for your plexi amps.

Any of you have experience with these? 

Running in a 2x12 configuration (2x25w) I assume I will get some pleasing breakup from the speakers as well as the amp. 

Marshall do a vintage styled cab loaded with them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1647

ICBM will know if that amp is one that kicks well over its rating but being Celestions I would think 50 wattsworth of speakers should be safe.

I know of amps that deliver jeeeust on their rating and others that are easily 50% over.

Dave.

• Cheers @ecc83 - That's a good point. It's epically loud on 15w mode, let alone 45/50. It's the Cornell head btw.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1647
    Cheers @ecc83 - That's a good point. It's epically loud on 15w mode, let alone 45/50. It's the Cornell head btw.

"Epically loud" Into which speaker? Don't forget the Greenbacks are a dB or so LESS sensitive than the V30s and their other 100dB/W/mtr ilk. This means more beans!

Dave.

• WGS 12-65B - Two Rock 2x12 cab.

I thought the Celestion's would break up at a lower volume?! Will admit to being a little behind on my speaker knowledge!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72900
    Personally I would go for the G12M-65 Creamback, which is like a higher-rated Greenback and a pair is totally safe at the power of that amp.

While G12M-25s are probably just about OK, they're actually not Celestion's toughest speakers for their rating, and it's definitely possible to blow them with a 50W amp. You also may think you want "breakup" by pushing them hard, but really it's a misconception - guitar speakers produce cone breakup even at low power input. If you actually overdrive them they sound horrible, as well as being likely to fail - what you're hearing when you push the speakers harder and they sound good is really just thermal compression. You might get up to that even with a pair of Creambacks (130W total rating) with a 50W Plexi, which can put out up to about 90W fully cranked.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Greenbacks are always my first choice
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited January 2015
    I'd definitely suggest the Creamback M.They're brilliant.I had the 75W H for a spell and they were just a bit toppy for me. 
  • Thanks guys.

@ICBM - We should start a paypal donation section on this site for you, you are truly indispensable! 

• FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited January 2015
    I experiment a lot with speakers but if I want to be sure of a good sound with my MJW Orion (JTM45/JMP50) at a smallish gig default is 2x12 G12M.  Bigger/louder I move to 4x12 G12H. Still I fancy trying out those Creambacks.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited January 2015
    I'm debating ordering a Zilla 2x12 loaded with Creambacks. Pretty sure @Pete24v was using them and had good things to say.
  • I've got an MJW cab loaded with Hot 100's I would sell for Zilla prices pm me if any interest
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, I paired A G12H Creamback with a V30 in my Z Best Cab when the original G12H Anniversary started making a rasping sound.

Brilliant speaker, loads of depth to it, really suited the Plexi. As someone previously said, they are a little bright.. But that calms down after a few gigs.
  • Cheers @Pete24v

I'd just put a blanket over the cab, set up a 5 minute loop of me playing different styles, then disappear over to the pub for a couple of hours every night until they are worn in ;-)
    A good way of doing it!

Pretty sure I heard mine go on gig 3, I thought I'd knocked the tone control on the guitar.. But there is no tone control on the Kotzen tele..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It's either that or hire out a rehearsal room and do the same… life is too short to break speakers in manually!

Kotzen Tele is a cool guitar. Saw him play in Wolverhampton last year. The man is upsettingly good at many things.
    yeah, i was there too! he kindly signed it for me, i'm a little sad like that lol
  • Enjoyed that gig a lot considering I didn't know the songs particularly. My mate knows Billy quite well, so we stopped afterwards for a bit, but they didn't hang around very long.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2224
    I'd go Creambacks or even V30's.
    They always pair well with Marshall type amps.

Thinking of digging out my 50w small box actually and possibly getting a Bad Cat unleash to really add some flexibility to it.
    I've always run that through V30 cabs.
    My favourite speaker.

In fact all my cabs, aside from the very first one I had, which was a 75w loaded 1960a, have had V30's.

Just bought a new Bogner OS 2x12.
    V30's again, and those cabs really do sound fantastic. Probably one of if not the best 2x12 on the market IMO.

I've yet to try the Creambacks, but I may well do one day.

Problem being is that the cabinet has more to do with the overall sound than the speakers IMO.

I've got three V30 loaded cabs currently, and they all sound DRASTICALLY different: an Orange PPC212, Marshall custom shop 1936V and Bogner OS212 CB.

The Marshall is my least favourite. It has a papery and thin midrange, but has more clarity and cut than the Orange. It's also a good deal louder. I don't like the way the Marshall resonates. It doesn't seem like a cab that will ever deliver any chunk. Very stiff and hollow sounding IMO.
    The Orange is very round and full with big warmth. Good chunk and resonance but the top end is very rolled off in comparison. I have yet to play an amp through it that didn't sound good with this cab. It's a quiet cab though in comparison to the Marshall. It has a much sweeter/bolder midrange and brings out growl regardless of which amp you use with it. It is very dark though.
    The Bogner is just the best of both of them. Extended top and bottom, smooth, yet aggressive midrange, big volume (the loudest of the three), richer and fuller sounding than both but with clarity and cut. Very balanced and generally sounds huge. Punchy cab with good resonance and sweet highs.
    A high fidelity version of a blend of the best bits of the other two cabinets.

As with anything it's about finding a combination of both cabinet and speakers that works for you tonally.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31047
    Lynden

Try the EV12L's

Amazing with a plexi style amp but they weight as much as Cardiff!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Thanks @Nerine and @Gassage.

There was a Bogner 2x12 on here the other day that was tempting.

My mate has just ordered a pair of those EV's I believe, will be testing them with my Twin and Plexi