I wish Marshall would make....

What's Hot
NerineNerine Frets: 2212
A line of amps that have factory mods.

Like a Hot Rod series.

For example take some of their vintage reissues like the 1987x

Add power scaling, cascaded gain stages, footswitchable master volumes, a range of cool colours and finishes etc. Depth mods etc etc.

Gnarly plexi's for everyone!

I know they did something similar with the YJM, but not everyone wants a Malmsteen sig amp.
I know I, for one, would be all over a hot rodded 1987.

:)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24681
    I'm surprised they haven't done a Non-YJM version of that plexi.

Stick it in a smaller box, RRP at £1200 and watch them fly out the door.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    Indeed!

I'd love a red/purple 1987x with 2 master volumes that you can switch between, that has a bit more gain on tap as well from a cascaded preamp circuit, maybe even have some of it handwired, keep the pots mounted to the chassis etc. Retail it for £1200-1300 and blam!!
    No reverb or boost circuits though. I'd never use them and I like having a choice of pedals to do that kind of thing.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    A decent Solid State head ......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I wish they would make a 500 watt MG series amp with built in shimmer reverb and 36 inputs, and ship it with a single greenback speaker in a 200lb 1x12 combo format.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    Ok then....

Amps that sound good as they used to.
    ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yup - they can leave the boost and reverb off it.

A properly defeatable FX loop would be the only extra I want.

This is probably why I have such gas for a Suhr Badger 30!
  • cosmiccarrotcosmiccarrot Frets: 91
    edited October 2013
    Jalapeno said:
    A decent Solid State head ......
    Have you tried one of the old mosfets marshall used to make in the late 80's/90's there pretty good and cheap now! I sold one on MR last year for a 130 quid. I think the model was 3210?
    I have.  Just wish they still did something better than the MGs

Feedback
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Get a Satch JVM.

Win the amp wars.
    I'm fully valved up thanks.  Would like to see SS amps developing (as opposed to modelling amps)

Feedback
  • Nerine said:

I know they did something similar with the YJM, but not everyone wants a Malmsteen sig amp.

Personally it wouldn't bother me having that sig amp as it pretty much looks like a regular marshall but some of the other sig amps with slash logos and the like would put me off.

I used to have a metroamp build that was a switchable 1959/2204 cross that also had a dual tap PT that lowered it to 400v along with an SDM effects loop.... it's now back to stock (more or less) 1959 with no loop, no mv just 400v PT. I just found that after a bit of faffing around you find or dial in the sound you like and stick with it, so a lot of stuff on an amp ends up being a distraction (bit like too many footpedals LOL).
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    ...bass amps that were anywhere near as good as the old DBSeseses, that didn't cost a fortune and weigh a ton.
    IanSavage said:
    ...bass amps that were anywhere near as good as the old DBSeseses, that didn't cost a fortune and weigh a ton.

Marshall own Eden Amps now, but they don't seem to be doing anything with them to compete properly.

I just hope that with Fender closing down Genz Benz and SWR that they intend to rebadge the kit under the Fender name. The Genz in particular are just too damn good.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'd like a new JMP-1 rack unit!
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    That's what the Jubilee/Customs were, factory hot rodded JCM800s.
  • benvallbenvall Frets: 83
    edited October 2013
    I agree with Nerine. I'd love a 4 hole marshall plexi with power scaling. I have started building a metroamp JTM45. well i say started, I've soldered some wires onto a turrett board. My plan was to add the Lar/Mar PPI-MV and fx loop and stick a tubescreamer in front then hit it with my les paul.
  • benvall said:
     I have started building a metroamp JTM45. well i say started, I've soldered some wires onto a turrett board. My plan was to add the Lar/Mar PPI-MV and fx loop and stick a tubescreamer in front then hit it with my les paul.
    If your interested I've still got the ppmv and SDM's zero loss loop from my metroamp, been meaning to sell the parts.
  • Jalapeno;47645" said:
    I have.  Just wish they still did something better than the MGs
    Mg's don't sound quite so nasty when going through a proper cab. I tried one through a blackstar 4x12, and it sounded... Not too bad. Usable, I suppose.

But I agree - I'd love for them to do a proper solid state amp, not just as a budget amp. They've done it before, I'd like a higher gain one with blendable channels to add some cleaner tone to keep things tight.

I'm actually a bit fed up of reissue amps. Something more original, but good (the vintage modern had good ideas, but executed them terribly - quality tone can be had, but it takes ages to dial in).

But I'd agree, solid state would rule the roost for me.

My issue with MG is the build / tone quality.  I have one as a spare (I'd prefer a MosFet or a ValveState), they sound perfectly adequate (I wouldn't say they're to die for, but giggable, and stupid loud).

Feedback
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2379
    edited October 2013
    Good call, Nerine. :)